Author Topic: Maturing into Men, and role models?  (Read 6924 times)

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
Re: Maturing into Men, and role models?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »
Gen. George S Patton, Jr.
Don Rickles.

Great people.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 04:31:48 pm »
All this s**ttalk about being mature or not is pissing me off. For sure it´s important to get a bit into maturity, but don´t forget your roots in childhood. If you are the pure mature person you are

1) not funny
2) not being able to have friends
3) not being able to be not serious
You have no idea of what maturity really is mang.
@ii

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 08:00:46 pm »
I guess what I'm saying is, don't cut all connections to who you used to be, even if you've wanted to move away from it for a long time. You might find you're missing it just a bit.

I see what you're saying. I'll keep that in mind (:

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:31 pm »
Don't really have a role model to follow because I take pieces here and there. Although I have to admit, there are a couple of people from the internet I know who actually brought me out of extreme immaturity.

If I were to have a role model, I'd want to have one who is super disciplined and calm.

And what the heck? Maturity has nothing to do with being unfunny, no friends or being unable to be not serious. It's more like being able to take care of yourself (independence) and knowing when to be serious.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:12:14 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 06:11:29 pm »
...and knowing when to be serious.

Yup

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 10:07:30 pm »
jrgp.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 10:42:29 pm »
 :(
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 10:46:35 pm »
Geo you were solidified as my top role model, he is just a pawn.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
There are other worlds than these

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 07:31:08 am »
Atticus Finch. Fictional, but based on a real person: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

Don Quixote- Also fictional, and based on an ideal. While mocked in the original story, a modern interpretation paints Quixote in a more favorable light; he is an idealist who fights for what he believes in, and holds himself to the standards that he holds others, if he does not hold himself to higher standards.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: While suffering from the effects of disease, he showed nothing but his best face in all situations where people depended on him. He did his best for his country and the world, in the interest of its people, and in his case, that was a hell of a lot.

Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright: At critical times there is a job to do, or a decision to make that is unpleasant, if not downright abhorrent, but must be done for the sake of the greater good. Often, the results are not easy to deal with, but part of making that decision is accepting the responsibility, and consequences of it.

Quach Van Phong: Art for art's sake.

My father: He taught me tolerance, while also teaching me not to give a shit about what other people think about me, if they are not relevant, as well as the transience of material possessions.

Michael Moore: Just kidding.

Maturity is accepting the mantle of doing what has to be done, doing that job without complaint, and hoping for no reward other than its successful completion.
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 09:38:21 am »
Bullshit. Maturity is paying the goddamn bills, doing the dishes all the time, trying to control the beating chaos, remembering to get toilet paper, all while trying to stay sane with no hope of something external fixing your shit for you.

As low as that may sound, being a grown up is nine sorts of awesome. It's also doing your mom.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 02:36:02 pm »
Don Quixote- Also fictional, and based on an ideal. While mocked in the original story, a modern interpretation paints Quixote in a more favorable light; he is an idealist who fights for what he believes in, and holds himself to the standards that he holds others, if he does not hold himself to higher standards.

I don't know about that "modern" interpretation. Quixote was an idealist, but also a delusional fool. He might fight for what he believes in, but what he believes in are lies and illusions that depart from reality so severely that he is constantly being harmed and humiliated as he butts into situations where neither he nor his fanciful ideas are welcome. He eventually has his illusions shattered by truth and dies broken and deeply depressed.

Not quite a role model.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 03:04:56 pm »
I don't know about that "modern" interpretation. Quixote was an idealist, but also a delusional fool. He might fight for what he believes in, but what he believes in are lies and illusions that depart from reality so severely that he is constantly being harmed and humiliated as he butts into situations where neither he nor his fanciful ideas are welcome. He eventually has his illusions shattered by truth and dies broken and deeply depressed.
Glen Beck?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Splinter-Snake

• Soldier
  • One must die, and one must live.
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »
Solid Snake

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 04:55:48 pm »
Bulls**t. Maturity is paying the goddamn bills, doing the dishes all the time, trying to control the beating chaos, remembering to get toilet paper, all while trying to stay sane with no hope of something external fixing your s**t for you.

As low as that may sound, being a grown up is nine sorts of awesome. It's also doing your mom.

This.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 02:42:20 am »

-snip-

Not quite a role model.

Albeit I've not finished the novel, I have read enough to agree that he is a lacking role model.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 01:40:17 pm »
Bulls**t. Maturity is paying the goddamn bills, doing the dishes all the time, trying to control the beating chaos, remembering to get toilet paper, all while trying to stay sane with no hope of something external fixing your s**t for you.

Sounds like my childhood. ;_;
Minus the bills.

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 02:34:46 pm »
A good friend in my programming class has great grades in all courses, knows more about networks than the networking students, runs several servers at home and has a part time job as some sort of network administrator. This while finding time to co-run the student pub, manage school LAN parties and having a sweet, funny and amazing girlfriend. He's handsome in a rugged way, fit and plays everything cool. He's great in every game and makes a ton of money to buy cutting-edge hardware and gadgets. He invents all kinds of cool expressions that I end up copying because they're so funny and awesome. He's very social and dresses himself so badass like a gangster.

If it's not just a man crush, then I want to be like him when I grow slightly older.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 02:44:32 pm »
A good friend in my programming class has great grades in all courses, knows more about networks than the networking students, runs several servers at home and has a part time job as some sort of network administrator. This while finding time to co-run the student pub, manage school LAN parties and having a sweet, funny and amazing girlfriend. He's handsome in a rugged way, fit and plays everything cool. He's great in every game and makes a ton of money to buy cutting-edge hardware and gadgets. He invents all kinds of cool expressions that I end up copying because they're so funny and awesome. He's very social and dresses himself so badass like a gangster.

If it's not just a man crush, then I want to be like him when I grow slightly older.

hah reminds me of FLAB

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »
man crush

Haha, he does sound pretty amazing!
I fucking miss all you cunts!