Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18096 times)

Offline |_ancer

• Soldier
  • again and again.
Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:41:10 am »
In Soldat 1.5.1, Enesce added a account based system for Soldat to play online which is the Soldat Portal. I myself don't really like this whole idea as it ruins Soldat's simplicity. Who needs to login to play a server. If Soldat Portal is down, then no one can play multiplayer Soldat.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:45:33 am by |_ancer »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:18:21 am »
ppl covered the soldat's simplicity with lots of 3rd-party shits, like IRC and stuff... so i dont think that Soldat itself is simple, just the gameplay for sure.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:19:48 am »
Registering is finally being useful.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:59:02 am »
I'm okay if it's only for registered players, but for those who don't register, I think it's a bad idea.

I see it this way: you register, you get an account, then you get all the benefits from that account + reg features if you login, but you can choose not to login and just play casually. If you don't register, then it's just as it was before.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:00:04 am »
Regardless, the Portal is here to stay. All of Michal's games are going to be using an account system, Soldat included.

Offline MAD

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:06:51 am »
>8C forced to buy

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:14 am »
You don't need to buy anything.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 11:36:57 am »
Regardless, the Portal is here to stay. All of Michal's games are going to be using an account system, Soldat included.

What was his reason for this? (MM's)

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:50:31 am »
the question is tendencious, of course it isn't necessery, it doesn't mean some people wouldn't like it. I could live without it, but it's always cool to have ability to ban players by their account ID's, be able to send private messages on the soldat accounts and watch weapon statistics. The problem is i've heard there are some bugs on registering. So i like it if it doesn't add any issues.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:52:23 am by Mittsu »
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:54:32 am »
the question is tendencious, of course it isn't necessery, it doesn't mean some people wouldn't like it. I could live without it, but it's always cool to have ability to ban players by their account ID's, be able to send private messages on the soldat accounts and watch weapon statistics. The problem is i've heard there are some bugs on registering.

Ban players by ID's... Fucking bastards, this is way ridiculous!
And once I thought that the barret and knife start up time was as bad as it could get.
I might be whining now, but this kind of nazi control is just pure bullcrap. Hope it gets removed.

Offline Sauron

• Soldier
  • Call me "Uncle Sam"
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »
Maybe next step to grave for Soldat. For new players it will be only annoying to register. I don`t support it. If MM want some account system no problem but it`s useless for some small 2D game like Soldat.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:05:32 pm by Sauron »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »

Among other things, it will allow fora lot of features in the future, though I don't think I'm supposed to start listing them right now.  As of right now it is in the beta for testing purposes, it *will* serve a number of purposes in the future

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 12:50:02 pm »

Among other things, it will allow fora lot of features in the future, though I don't think I'm supposed to start listing them right now.  As of right now it is in the beta for testing purposes, it *will* serve a number of purposes in the future

Could you atleast give a hint in what direction since this doesnt sound like its going to be of any use or will make things more complex than it is now. I just love to start soldat, pick a random server with low ping and right settings and fire away to kick some ass. Nothing more. Just plain action and no bullshit. Thats why I love soldat so much.

I personally play soldat only for the gameplay and mostly in pubs and dont use irc or other crap like that for chatting.
If I want to chat, I dont play soldat, I chat instead. And if I play soldat, I dont chat. Fucking multitasking monkeys.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:06:22 pm »
Sorry for offtopic but a quick question:

Why does my soldat show me that I am registered but doesn't let me change anything?

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 06:29:48 pm »
If Soldat will go open-source soon, this is a wonderful idea to make registering matter and allowing Soldat to continue development with financial support for MM.

If Soldat stays closed source and continues the molasses paced development cycle, having this be required is not going to help the game.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:16:51 pm »
I find it impossible to tell you in the language I also order pizza in how much I don't want this, so I'm not going to try.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »
Sorry for offtopic but a quick question:

Why does my soldat show me that I am registered but doesn't let me change anything?

Please create a new thread for this problem, don't hijack other threads.

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »
It's useless vs hackers - you can always create another account.
And to those who find it too complex to click ONCE in their lifetime on "remember password" and "automatically log in"... Wow.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 07:51:09 pm »
The problem is i've heard there are some bugs on registering. So i like it if it doesn't add any issues.
Well, hey, it's a good thing we have a beta to solve all the problems! :D

Ban players by ID's... f**king b*****ds, this is way ridiculous!
And once I thought that the barret and knife start up time was as bad as it could get.
I might be whining now, but this kind of nazi control is just pure bullcrap. Hope it gets removed.
Um... I don't quite understand how you would find that "nazi control"... Server owners will be now able to ban by TagID as well as IP.

Maybe next step to grave for Soldat. For new players it will be only annoying to register. I don`t support it. If MM want some account system no problem but it`s useless for some small 2D game like Soldat.
Seeming that quite a few games these days have online account systems, I don't think the Portal is going to be a turn off. The registration process is done mostly within the game itself, with the only action required outside of it being accessing your e-mail, which is a simple enough thing to do, I'd say.

It's useless vs hackers - you can always create another account.
Yeah, if they really have no life... of course, then, you could always decide to ban them by IP instead. :P
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
  • I'm trigger happy, trigger happy!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 08:00:43 pm »
I am totally up in the air about this subject. I honestly see what is trying to be done with the Portal and respect that idea. However, Like many of you have said it would complicate things. Complicate to a fault? I doubt it. It will just put more incentive into registering the game. It would add a litle work but i think what it would do in the end if the Portal is that great would be a benefit for us all. Just think what our other favorite games would be like with more features and an added budget. Look at games for any console or system. The best ones are the ones that people want because they have the coolest features. Put two simmilar games side by side and you will take the one that offers you more. I dont know. I like the idea. Really. Just not sure if this is the way i would go about it.
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-