Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18095 times)

Offline W0MB13

• Major(1)
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 06:15:15 am »
I personally think the portal is a good idea. The fact that the name registration lock is built into the account is a major plus for me. I also like the implementation of the friends list. Hopefully the portal will help encourage more people to pay for registration, the game is certainly worthy of that small cost.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 06:16:48 am »
I think I seem to understand whats the point of portal; hackers. However, as many already said, creating a new account would be a piece of cake and continue playing within seconds and the fact that it also cancels the REGISTRATION KEY THAT YOU PAYED FOR is just ridiculous.

Not to mention this kind of a system can be easily abused by admins to make someone's soldat life a hell because they might hate them personally or simply are just bored. (get the hint?).

I dont know if it was MM that ordered this or NSC's idea, but ultimately its no good. Hackers will always persist and this portal wont stop them.
when you pay for that registration key you sign an binding agreement which among other things doesn't allow you to hack the game so I think its more then fair that hackers forfeit their registration key.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:18 am »
I think I seem to understand whats the point of portal; hackers. However, as many already said, creating a new account would be a piece of cake and continue playing within seconds and the fact that it also cancels the REGISTRATION KEY THAT YOU PAYED FOR is just ridiculous.

I dont know if it was MM that ordered this or NSC's idea, but ultimately its no good. Hackers will always persist and this portal wont stop them.
I'd say you've misunderstood, then. This won't stop hackers, and I doubt EnEsCe designed the Portal to stop them in the first place. No, EnEsCe has designed it because of the extra features he can then bring to Soldat through it. It was probably EnEsCe's idea, but either way, MM still seems pleased about the Portal.

As for the registration key thing, that's probably a bug, so you should report it instead of thinking it's intentionally designed that way. Unless you're using an illegal key, of course... (I'm assuming here that your registration key isn't working or something?)
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 06:51:48 am »
I don't understand why there are people that againts soldat portal. Don't you people understand that this will only improve soldat? Sure a lot of us use irc and other software but this makes soldat to step forward to a new level of soldat gaming. And stuff like 'play 14 hours to unlock the minimi' ain't gonna happen. Just thinking of what soldat can become because of 'SP' , just makes me proud of being a soldatter. I wont talk about how i didn't even get to login with my acc because of some bug but still, be happy and say thanks to the developers of SP for this awesome idea! >__< even MM is happy about this idea after he didn't even care about soldat. Anyway i'm happy with this :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:56:00 am by pavliko »
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 12:17:06 pm »

Not to mention this kind of a system can be easily abused by admins to make someone's soldat life a hell because they might hate them personally or simply are just bored. (get the hint?).

when you pay for that registration key you sign an binding agreement which among other things doesn't allow you to hack the game so I think its more then fair that hackers forfeit their registration key.

They can use another account to do hack play while play normal with their regs and besides that its rare that a hacker has registered his soldat in the first place. That would be pretty dumb unless he used some shady crack to do.

Then I dont quite get what kind of "features" you guys are talking about for the portal. Something like that useless irc or other chat related thing or maybe even a statistics page to look at your e-penor and flail it around screaming "OI! OI GUYS, I GOT A >9000/1 K:D RATIO. SUCK THAT NOOBS"

What features could they possibly be? Please dont tell me its any of the above. You could add something more important and useful gameplay wise like an ingame taunt editor somewhere in the menu or a tutorial for new players to show how to move around and shoot guns (so no-one will ever ask about their miniguns not firing) not to mention an ingame mod changer would be nice instead of using akward 3rd party crap.

Offline HEX

• Major
  • =tNt=
    • SoldatX Brazilian Community
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »
Since it's hosted on EnEsCe's datacenter and on-line Soldat depends on your login/password, what will happen with Soldat if he just give up maintaining his datacenter and the login system? Will we still be able to play online?

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 02:26:39 pm »
Since it's hosted on EnEsCe's datacenter and on-line Soldat depends on your login/password, what will happen with Soldat if he just give up maintaining his datacenter and the login system? Will we still be able to play online?
I don't think that it will happen but if it will i guess enesce will pass the data center to someone else.
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline JFK

• Camper
    • My TraxInSpace Account
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 02:57:34 pm »
I can see a lot of possibilities for the community when using a register system (how about global stats :p). But I am worried about using the ID's to ban players:

Worse - admins might stop using IP-bans and use ID-bans instead, which will reduce ban effectiveness in general since ID bans are easier and faster to go around.
If I read the changelog well then using an ID tag is going to be the 'default' way of banning in the new soldat (haven't tested anything though), unless you'll be scripting something.
If that is so, then I see a problem. There are many ppl that have dynamic IP such as illuminatus, but those can be banned by using ip-range bans. It might take a while to figure out what range(s) someone is using, but at least I'm sure that over time I can find it out and I can be pretty certain that this person won't use an IP outside that range.
However I CAN NOT be sure how many or which ID-tags a person might be using. For all I know there can be some dude who found a nice way to create 30 tyotally different ID-tags in one afternoon (disposable email addresses and dynamic IP or even proxies will most certainly do the trick). For me there's no way to see this is the same person, except for analyzing the IP-addresses that have been used in the game. So then why bother with banning an ID-tag in the first place?
Or is the account system going to analyze the used IP's and identify cheaters' accounts automatically? That would save me a lot of work :D
Come join: EliteCTF
Listen to: My Music

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 04:25:13 pm »

That won't happen. For one thing, several people have full access to Soldat's source code, so if (god forbid) this did happen, other people would be able to revert the dependency and release that version. And another thing, it isn't dependent on his servers' datacenter. There are several it can connect to if a single one fails.

And as for eC "giving up" on maintaining his stuff.... that won't happen. It's just not like his character.
There are other worlds than these

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2009, 07:01:41 pm »
disposable email addresses
Apparently EnEsCe has taken care of that problem.

I think you can still ban by IP, but, by default, it'll ban by TagID. You'll have to ask EnEsCe about it.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2009, 07:36:42 am »
Leagues could requier an reg activated account to join their leagues, if you're caught hacking, your ID will be banned, and to banvade you'd have to pay for an another registration, which I guess few are interested in.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2009, 07:17:23 pm »
How so?
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 05:45:34 am »
You people do realize that hackers nowadays are so ingenious that they WILL break even the registry system even with this being part of it, right?
b&

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:42 pm »
You people do realize that hackers nowadays are so ingenious that they WILL break even the registry system even with this being part of it, right?
do you realize you have no idea what you're talking about?

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2009, 06:57:51 pm »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 09:07:46 pm »
How so?
Blacklist. :D
Ehh.. I cant see how this takes care of the problem.
So if email gets blacklisted - it's no different from blocking an ID. Hackers will just make a new email account.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »
How so?
So if email gets blacklisted - it's no different from blocking an ID. Hackers will just make a new email account.
Insert facepalm image here. @domain.tld is blacklisted, not individual addresses.

Offline de_Naturat

• Major(1)
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2009, 03:37:31 am »
How so?
Insert facepalm image here. @domain.tld is blacklisted, not individual addresses.

plz ban smth like @gmail.com
haha! it's not the fight against hackers - it's agony!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:48:41 am by de_Naturat »
aka de_Generat [RU]

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2009, 05:59:35 am »
i don't get how blacklisting certain domains is going to solve the problem in any way, i could easily create 10 email acounts just from the most popular domains that you couldn't blacklist.
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 06:39:39 am »
You guys seem to be under the impression that the Portal was added specifically to stop hackers. You are sadly mistaken.