Author Topic: Three important bugs that need fixing for competitive play  (Read 1803 times)

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
Three important bugs that need fixing for competitive play
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:21:31 pm »
1. Polybugging, also known as throwing nades through not-so-thin polygons (ie, ctf_Ash base roof, kampf zig-zag at bravo base, etc).

2. Powerthrow: ability to throw the flag to distances longer than usual normal throw by abusing the physics engine. Recently gotten some attention, as seen here.

3. Weapon jamming general probs: either spawning with the wrong weapon (autopicking it from the ground + reloading and with secondary borked), picking up a gun from the floor and having it pick up the other ones nearby automatically and also throwing the knife fast to pick up a weapon which instantly gets tossed again to the ground among others.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
Re: Three important bugs that need fixing for competitive play
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:26:17 am »
What about the reload bug? (spawning with an empty clip)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:28:55 am »
1. Polybugging, also known as throwing nades through not-so-thin polygons (ie, ctf_Ash base roof, kampf zig-zag at bravo base, etc).

2. Powerthrow: ability to throw the flag to distances longer than usual normal throw by abusing the physics engine. Recently gotten some attention, as seen here.

3. Weapon jamming general probs: either spawning with the wrong weapon (autopicking it from the ground + reloading and with secondary borked), picking up a gun from the floor and having it pick up the other ones nearby automatically and also throwing the knife fast to pick up a weapon which instantly gets tossed again to the ground among others.
still, it's something you admins didn't even know was possible, when I show you how usefull it can be if it's used at maximum effect, you get scared and bans it. in future it might not be banned if it's take up again when people actually know that it exists (quite pathetic with 6 years + admins who didn't know about it)

also, for polybugging, you're not counting with poly boosts? or do you know them too well to remove them?

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:03:23 am »

still, it's something you admins didn't even know was possible, when I show you how usefull it can be if it's used at maximum effect, you get scared and bans it. in future it might not be banned if it's take up again when people actually know that it exists (quite pathetic with 6 years + admins who didn't know about it)

also, for polybugging, you're not counting with poly boosts? or do you know them too well to remove them?
Warp-bug is easy detectable and just impossible to do when you're not trying to.

But I really don't know why there's still 'Report Bugs!' in the name of this board since devs admit not to look at this board that often. Use mantis. (even though these bugs have been in soldat far before mantis was around)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:04:57 am by PQ »
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:23:17 am »
Would be easier to fix if there was a definite way to reproduce the bug. Do you know what factors influence spawning with an empty gun?

Maybe you spawned and picked a gun off the ground that was empty?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:28:58 am »
I suspected it had to do with the spas-12 fix, which was undone in 1.5.1. So people need to test 1.5.1 for the empty ammo bug.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 06:52:33 am »
(quite pathetic with 6 years + admins who didn't know about it)

It's pathetic not to know such thing? Bragging about your knowledge on a video game is pathetic lol. And no, the admins are not "scared" because of it, you're just bitter.

About the first problem: I believe it's fixable by changing the polygon layout or by adding new OBC polygons to prevent the grenades from sliding inside the polygons. I wouldn't say it's the worst bug in competitive games though, the one in ctf_Voland is probably the only one which has annoyed me while playing.

Oops, I thought you meant situations like these.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:51:09 am by Dusty »

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:39:12 am »

you can fix the bugs on ash or most of them anyways the only fix that gets a bit ugly is the throwin nade through the roof as you have to beef up the poly quite a lot, but in the example I supply here boosting down to low is "almost" fixed, I put thin deadly polygons inside the polygons however they may sometimes with the deadly poly not registering but it definantly makes it way harder then before.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 12:27:07 pm »
(quite pathetic with 6 years + admins who didn't know about it)

It's pathetic not to know such thing? Bragging about your knowledge on a video game is pathetic lol. And no, the admins are not "scared" because of it, you're just bitter.

About the first problem: I believe it's fixable by changing the polygon layout or by adding new OBC polygons to prevent the grenades from sliding inside the polygons. I wouldn't say it's the worst bug in competitive games though, the one in ctf_Voland is probably the only one which has annoyed me while playing.

Oops, I thought you meant situations like these.
it's common sense to notice things like that. if you play a game for 6 years, you should have noticed most bugs in the game.
also yes, I just took the best power throw I could find, and then made a video about it and showed them. didn't you hear the arduments? "if you can cap the flag in 5 sec it's not fun" when in reality you don't earn that much, just makes the potential greater with a slightly longer throw.

video games / sports / board game / work are all the same thing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:58:38 pm by -Major- »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 02:15:56 pm »
also yes, I just took the best power throw I could find, and then made a video about it and showed them. didn't you hear the arduments? "if you can cap the flag in 5 sec it's not fun" when in reality you don't earn that much, just makes the potential greater with a slightly longer throw.

Being against your opinion is not the same as being scared. Get over it already.

Real sports and jobs have absolutely nothing to do with e-sports or board games.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:53:03 am »
Would be easier to fix if there was a definite way to reproduce the bug. Do you know what factors influence spawning with an empty gun?
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=34929.0
No idea. Happens completely randomly (or so it seems) when I pick a weapon when spawning.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:09:15 pm »
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=34929.0
No idea. Happens completely randomly (or so it seems) when I pick a weapon when spawning.
basically what we need is to get the bug on demo.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic