Author Topic: The Age-old Thread: Hobbies  (Read 2818 times)

Offline GSx_Major

• Major
Re: The Age-old Thread: Hobbies
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 06:22:58 am »
I've played guitar for ages (7-8 years, self taught but I studied music production for 3 years as well). As for the discussion about how to best learn guitar... Play something you enjoy, technique can come later.

Or you could just stay at that level and become Weezer.

I'm also into computers, do a lot of image/video/audio editing, programming, etc. I don't write a lot but when I do it's mostly political stuff and overall I'm decent at it but I wouldn't exactly call it a hobby. I work out, play games, watch a lot of movies... That's about it.

Well, I also enjoy getting stoned and just cruising around the streets at night. Not driving, of course... Get someone sober to drive for you.  ;)
...and headbutt the sucker through your banana suit!

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:28:58 am »
My hobbies are as follows.

Drawing.

Airsoft.

Painting models (I finished painting a roman legion a while ago... took FoReVeR...)

And something really interesting that I'm working on right now, is a full scale, working model of a roman siege scorpion (which right now is just some measurements and drawings on paper). 

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:45 pm »
i dabble in almost everything to do with media

writing, drawing, writing music, making games etc

im not really an expert at any one thing though. im sort of hoping that eventually ill become very good at all these things but its not gonna happen

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 12:12:54 pm »
The majority of my free time is sent playing video games and doing typical internet stuff, but I do enjoy playing football and volleyball during the spring/summer/fall months. I also make good cappuccinos with my dad's espresso machine, although since me and my sister moved out and my parents moved away I can't do that anymore. :(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:04:05 pm by Twistkill »

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 01:03:42 pm »
Making Music to Dance To
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTATyRslquc&feature=channel

Making Straight Up Thugged Out Beats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSN2Fz55Tsk

Jumping Out of Planes(Going for jump 3 in the spring)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNJQx1hiJ8

And I own 3 guitars, but I ain't anything special with it.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06:50 pm »
Waste of time, because I fail at life:
- watching anime, listening to music, reading books, playing games (PC, Wii, emulators), aimlessly running around the internet looking for something somewhat interesting.

Actual useful hobbies <--- I only wish this list was longer :(
- drawing and design in photoshop

Ditto. Add to hobbies, sex and learning programming so that I can make cool video games. I also to a bit of amateur b&w photography. Growing up I wanted to become an animator, however that no longer interests me, but I do have an animated webcomic I would like to put online sometime in the next year or 2.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 02:43:24 pm »
- watching anime, listening to music, reading books, playing games (PC, Wii, emulators), aimlessly running around the internet looking for something somewhat interesting.

Oh man! i do exactly the same!!! if you find a way to change it all please tell :S
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 02:54:15 pm »
Oh I forgot I actually have two hobbies: shooting and the outdoors. Both of those are combined when I do something I invented, I call it hunting. Haven't done it in a while, been meaning to kill something for the past few weeks.
@ii

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 06:46:09 pm »
(2) Talk about it. I mean, I've been playing off n on for a year and a half and I've just gotten far enough to play chord progressions and some nifty riffs, but nothing too complicated.

My problem is that I only enjoy playing three or four songs: Blackbird by Paul McCartney, Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, Nobody's Dirty Business by Mississippi John Hurt, and Road by Nick Drake. The rest are from requests to learn everyone else's favorite songs.

(3) I used to do this very frequently. I still have a lot I could write down and I really should, but I just don't take the time. Keeping a journal has been said to be very helpful to many people, so I suppose I should give it a shot.

This is just my way of keeping my mind working. There's a character in the Sherwood Anderson book Winesburg, Ohio (which is quoted in my signature...hmmmm) who writes his ideas on small portions of paper, tears them out, and then rolls them with his finger tips into little paper balls and sticks them into his pockets. By the end of the day his pockets are full of little paper balls.

I always felt that I would become more like that person as I aged.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 05:56:45 am »
Writing short stories and kickboxing.
I'm an intermediate, no belts though. :/
b&

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 08:12:42 am »
I don't really have hobbies, because I have a tendency to overwhelm myself with the things I do, because these things are what define me as a person.

I'm in an organization that does flashmobs, urban-playground events and other improv-everywhere sort of things (with the long term goal of overthrowing the government and declaring a new constitution), I'm a journalist for a music-focused webzine (hardcore punk), I write stories, bad poetry and started working on my book, going to start a dozen bands with friends while learning bass and writing lyrics - all different attempts to fight the never ending procrastinational cycle of refreshing the same websites and reading tvtropes or wikipedia.

Woo.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 08:25:58 am »
(with the long term goal of overthrowing the government and declaring a new constitution)
Couldn't your country arrest and imprison you for treason for saying that? I like your hobbies btw. Can you link us to that webzine?
There are other worlds than these

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 08:54:47 am »
Being below the scope of what accounts as a serious threat (we're not armed, and it's only a crime if aggression is in the line), so that's a protection. The fez don't kick every loon's door down there either, right?

And the webzine is in Hungarian, but sure. If my plans go as intended though, I might be able to report for punknews next year (that is, if an overall map of the European hardcore/punk scenes with a travelling reporter interests them).

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »
skateboarding.
that's about it, and listening to music,,,allot

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 01:45:22 pm »
I like to draw.

I also like to keep an insect collection and I enjoy astronomy.

I like R/C model aircraft but my art's just sucking too much time to enjoy that.

Oh and I camp the F5 key. That ought to count.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »
Browsing the internet.

Playing old games or games nobody plays.

I started playing drums, and I'm attempting to get into paintball a little more. Might go into airsoft.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 05:42:35 pm »
Being below the scope of what accounts as a serious threat (we're not armed, and it's only a crime if aggression is in the line), so that's a protection. The fez don't kick every loon's door down there either, right?

And the webzine is in Hungarian, but sure. If my plans go as intended though, I might be able to report for punknews next year (that is, if an overall map of the European hardcore/punk scenes with a travelling reporter interests them).

Damn, that sounds interesting. I'd be into journalism stuff, but my only opportunities are closed to me. I had one experience with photojournalism at an athletic event. It only made me want to do more. Just need to learn to make people more comfortable in front of a camera, because I kinda screwed up my first "on the field" experience. That's what firsts are for I guess.

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 07:09:17 pm »
Does studying count? Other than that I read some generic manga and watch anime, sitcoms and sci-fi.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »
I play ssbb, tennis, guitar and piano.
I go shooting with my dad every now and then.
In the summer I go backpacking often.
I read a lot of books on math and the computer sciences.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2009, 02:57:08 pm »

Oh man! i do exactly the same!!! if you find a way to change it all please tell :S
This is the post I felt hit me the most :p I started filmschool to do more meaningfull things. I like to try to improve things with my life, things that I have done is: Throw all the things I never use or don't need (almost everything exept my PC) I began eating healthy, lost 15 kilo. :P ++..  I wonder what my next project will be, any suggestions? I really want to make soldat movies in my spear time when I upgrade my PC a bit more (It's gonna be awsum)