Author Topic: Psychological weapons in online games.  (Read 2585 times)

Offline numgun

• Veteran
Psychological weapons in online games.
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:40:39 am »
During my playing in online games as Soldat I noticed that insults and trolling happening there are a form of a weapon in an attempt to reduce the opponents morale or alter it to make the opponent act in a certain way.

Just yesterday I was playing soldat in a random public server and I was fighting against these 2 fellas in deathmatch. I was literally unstoppable. I kept blowing them to bits while listening to good music and moving so smooth and fast that they were unable to kill me at all. I was going at full power and my mood was awesome.

Then the common "omg hax noob" thing kicked in. One of them cast a vote on me and they both were accusing my of hacking when I've never used any hacks in soldat ever. +8 years of skill was just paying off, no tricks involved.

When the box to vote kick me appeared I suddenly got demoralized completely, since both of the opponent seemed like they were gonna press F12 in favor to kick me out and leaving them to play without me raping them to bits, ruining my own fun in the process since I was in the mood to win the match. Eventually their rudeness and dirty tricks angered me so much that I lost the match by one kill from the winner. My tactics f**ked up and I was fighting like a confused angry bear because I got shocked by the fact I could get kicked of the server without the chance to pwn those kids properly and ending my fantastic soldat killing spree.

-----------------------------------

But the point of the topic is psychological warfare in online games.
I'm sure you have experience such attack being directed at you by so called "noobs", so you know what I'm talking about.

Do you have any particular experiences such like mine with these attacks being at you and do you have any "special attacks" that you yourself use against others to achieve victory, can you describe them? Or perharps you might have some counterattacks against these?

And what are your opinions on this overall, I'd say its a viable tactic that one can use to overcome an opponent, but a very dirty and a rude one.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:42:59 am by numgun »

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
Re: Psychological weapons in online games.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:33:40 am »
Topic of the year, imo.

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:40:59 am »
Just don't listen to idiots?

Offline [SIRS]Foxconn^^2012

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45:21 am »
Just don't listen to idiots?

I agree. FoxconN^^ think this post is helpful!

Most of people does not understand you are pro and they call you a "ozmfg haxawr noob ffs". That happened to meh too and i just haved to dont listen to them and rip off all their guts with my AUG. When they vote to kick you just ignore them. Most of ppl will vote "no" cause "dis iz just a noob".

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:06:33 am »
I know I always play better when I am relaxed and happy. Though I try not to spread discord unless someone just brings the wood and lighter though.
@ii

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:34:30 am »
This is a good reason why I want to avoid feeling too much emotion. Heck, emotions can really screw up your rational thoughts.

Anyway, next time that happens, ignore them and remind yourself how much more there is to life than getting angry over the internet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:14:39 am by STM1993 »

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:42:36 am »
I insult their pride/sexual orientation/mother/country and kill them while they rage.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »
i think the gay bomb is very relevant to this topic

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:02:27 pm »
2 or 3 beers while you play can help calm your nerves. I just know I'm better than most people, so insults don't affect me much. The only time I feel pressure or get nervous is when playing hide n seek. I had a real embarrassing session, when I was lagging, thus couldn't boost properly and I dunno why but I didn't notice a part of the map where everyone was hiding laughing at me. :P I'm not a dull or dumb person, I'd consider myself bright.. but only 85% of the time... I do have my blonde moments.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »
Back when I played like an asshole, my favorite way to antagonize someone was to count kills :P  It seems simple at first, but it really gets on peoples nerves.  1... 2... 15... SHUT UP ALREADY!
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »
Xbox Live is ripe for this shit.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »
Does anyone utilize this power on purpose?
I tested it out for a few weeks in pubs and its amazing I must say. It can be really powerful depending what you say and how the other one will react to it.

One of the things I tried is to make him "prove" his skill by infuriating him with such simple words like "You suck at this game, learn to shoot". I had the guy chase me like an angry bee and I had him where I wanted. Dirty, but incredible.

Another thing was to accuse another dude that he was using "a noob weapon", which was barret for him. After my attack, I made him change his weapon repeatedly.

Ofcourse it didnt work out always, I got kicked a plenty of times taking it too far, but none the less it works.

Try it out yourself and tell the results here. Remember to be creative with the attacks.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 06:30:18 pm »
It's called s**t talking.

With friends, it's good-natured fun. With people who don't know you, you're an asshole.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »
"hurrr u bad u no heel enuf"
"umad?"

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 05:54:42 am »
/muteall
Or simply become a bot, you know blood scorpion, do as he does.
Don't read chat messages :d
And always speak with taunts
b&

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 07:02:50 am »

Player since late 2007

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 10:48:53 am »
Is it possible to send chat messages while /muteall is on?

While the so called "shit talking" is an asshole maneuver, its still a legit weapon and not outward restricted anywhere making it a valid tactic. I'm not sure those who actually use it are aware of the power they are using and I'm talking about those lame noobs that troll/flame/whine when things dont go their way but nonetheless the power of trolling others can help one win a match ultimately.

I'm gonna run another experiment play soldat in pubs with the intention to use trolling intentionally as a weapon to weaken the enemy.

Trolling and flaming seems to be becoming more popular everyday, so it might just as well turn out to be a regular thing that will be used intentionally while acknowledging of its effects fully to weaken the opponent.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 11:22:00 am »
I wish I was good enough to be called a noob. :(

Offline Shinobars

• Major
    • SoldatRS Forums
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 11:47:32 am »
It okay CrayAB we still love you!!!

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 11:27:43 am »
Its called tilt.