Author Topic: ctf_Laos (updated version avaivable)  (Read 10856 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Re: ctf_Laos (updated version avaivable)
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 10:52:35 am »
CheeSeMan I do understand your consern. I've played this game like 5-6 years, since 1.1.5. I've also played competitive since SCTFL3. I do love original Laos, it's bottom route is my favourite alt in the game.

Let's play again game called facts:

Fact: Mappers tend to see their own work better than others (at least when playtesting it the first 1-5 times). I could name easily like 4-5 maps by me that are worth default, but that's just my sight :S. To be honest, that fact affected on me backdays when I deeply wanted one my map being default. Then we got X, hurrey! But don't blame on me about it :)

That's reason why it's problematic to have creator of map in map selection.

Fact: Competitive players don't want to see their favourite map being replaced, even if the map is better and being more potential, they tend blindly vote for old.

If you decide by first sight that new version suck, then only thing in your mind while playing it, is that everything just suck. In the end you never actually give chance for the new map.

About Laos remake: I don't have anything against changes in top, easier movement would do good. I prefer much more original medic placing and original Laos bottom. The looks are great. Anyway, I'd still say no for this, but let's see the next improvement.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:45:54 am by Suowarrior »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 12:44:44 pm »
I luved the curved edge, like the alt route entry... the gameplay does not changed(else for the useless things) at all, and for the visual things, actually i use blacktextures with the lowest of the low confgs, so i dont care. Well, i used to hate that buda...

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »
Please keep the old Laos, new version really sucks ballz.
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 03:16:34 pm »
Fact: Competitive players don't want to see their favourite map being replaced, even if the map is better and being more potential, they tend blindly vote for old.
Fact: Competitive players don't want to see their favourite map being replaced, they tend blindly to vote for the old.
Opinion: Even if the map is better and has more potential.

Heres some fact for you, people rush to make default map modifications with intent to get famous.
And they modificate maps they don't like, because of either it's looks or layout.
Some people just want to make better maps for the default, to make the game more pleasant. I don't get how you get famous exactly.

Then theres other people who love the map, but would love more if it was more like a (his own made)
He starts editing it, does unnecessary changes.. Rapes the map with overdone "theme sceneries" that
are luckily approved by someone responsible of this s**tfiltering, then get credit of the map he himself treasures like hell.
With the modified default maps, a lot has been overdone. The ones people seem to like is the new Snakebite. Why? Because it isn't overdone and simple and its concentrated to make better GAMEPLAY. Even with that dumb looking snake.

----
We want a new feel to the game, and modifying maps for looks is the wrong direction since Soldat has never aimed to be a glamor game. Removing the least played maps and giving a chance for new maps like Coolbya or whatever is offered is a better approach in my opinion.

Think of it this way, if all you're doing is replacing the looks of the map and does nothing to gameplay, it's like doing an update for a soldat interface change. It is nothing but eye candy and serves no other purpose.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Geoffrey

• Major
  • 2Wai
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 03:45:17 pm »
Yeah exactly. People were happy when cool new maps came in like Guardian etc. When you start pointlessly changing the already lovely maps people are gonna be pissed off.

Just give us new maps that are of a high standard instead of trying to remake old ones. The only tweaks to old maps should be bug fixes, not beautification.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 07:52:09 pm »
can you post the .pms of the fixed version here?
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2009, 01:43:15 pm »
CheeSeMan I do understand your consern. I've played this game like 5-6 years, since 1.1.5. I've also played competitive since SCTFL3. I do love original Laos, it's bottom route is my favourite alt in the game.

Let's play again game called facts:

Fact: Mappers tend to see their own work better than others (at least when playtesting it the first 1-5 times). I could name easily like 4-5 maps by me that are worth default, but that's just my sight :S. To be honest, that fact affected on me backdays when I deeply wanted one my map being default. Then we got X, hurrey! But don't blame on me about it :)

That's reason why it's problematic to have creator of map in map selection.

If you decide by first sight that new version suck, then only thing in your mind while playing it, is that everything just suck. In the end you never actually give chance for the new map.

About Laos remake: I don't have anything against changes in top, easier movement would do good. I prefer much more original medic placing and original Laos bottom. The looks are great. Anyway, I'd still say no for this, but let's see the next improvement.

I have played since v1.1.4 and Laos has never been a map that has caused any problems when being played in any version... Really I cannot see what is wrong with it, their is no problems moving on it, and there isn't a side with a distinctive advantage.

And yes one of my major concerns is that the people who are making these maps are the people making the major decision's about what should stay and what should go; I believe that the decision's would be better made by players that did not make the map and have only played it. Im sure the mapper who made Lanubya thought it was the hottest map ever, but most player's hate it.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2009, 03:23:32 pm »
And yes one of my major concerns is that the people who are making these maps are the people making the major decision's about what should stay and what should go.
In case of my map/modification. I won't be participating in final vote, problem solved.

I'm sure that mappers have always worked like this: mappers suggest maps, and other beta players decide to take or not to take them in. I'm pretty sure it happened in Lanubya case too. It's new way to suggest in public beta though.

Offline Geoffrey

• Major
  • 2Wai
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »
Will zakath have a say in the final vote though? I was under the impression that he made many adjustments to these maps himself.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:09 pm »
IF this is going to be default, at least don't make a normal polys seems like a bridge.
Just don't let any background on sight and it will be OK
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade