Author Topic: List of default maps & topics  (Read 19992 times)

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: 1.5.1 Maps
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:26 pm »
I created a post with several "issues", should I create a topic for each map?
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:57:21 pm »
I created a post with several "issues", should I create a topic for each map?

You can't. Only staff can create topics here. That is why Wraithlike asked which maps to create topics for so we can discuss each thoroughly.
There are other worlds than these

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:02:31 pm »
ok, so you can create a topic for each map that I mencioned here (ctf_Conquest is not needed, I was just kidding).
you could create a topic for each "possible exchange" too
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:04:59 pm by As de Espada »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:37 pm »
I'll get right on those, just give me an hour or so.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:22 pm »
I still don't think that ALL the older versions should be removed.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:20:31 pm »
I think a lot of people agree on that, I'll make a discussion topic on that.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:35:11 pm »
ctf_Luxor: seems to be unbalanced, left flag seems a lot more reacheable than the right one
I never played this map in a server

ctf_MFM2: upper route seems too protected

ctf_pilot: map is confuzing right now, and you can walk on scenerys that are set to back

ctf_Ruins: the "moon" has too much contrast, maybe could be added a blur effect (quite eazy, 2 sceenrys with oppacity almost in the same place)

ctf_Snakebite: on the left lower, there are some polys badly collored

ctf_X: maybe this should be removed, get's boring very quickly

htf_Void: lot's of polybugs, unjoined vertex too
htf_Vortex: walking on scenerys set to back is weird
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:27:48 am by As de Espada »

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 02:13:03 am »
Keep ctf_Laos, a map that has been one of the major foundations of soldat
Remove ctf_Lanubya and don't even keep any concept of it, just seems like a boring map all together
Maps that aren't really played that much: Replace ctf_Ruins with ctf_Jungul, Replace ctf_Kampf with ctf_Conflict, replace ctf_Maya with ctf_Mayapan
Remove ctf_Freefall, new concept with the falling packs, but very congested at spawn, and generic as well

http://www.sctfl.net/forums/index.php?topic=18756.0
Add those maps instead instead of Freefall. I'm not really that big a fan of Pilot, but if I had to remove one, it would definitely be Freefall.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 04:02:24 am »
Just the remakes that are in beta + new maps for now (beta 1.5.1 new maps and other new map suggestions). WL let's pm each other before we set maps here :).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:25:41 am by Suowarrior »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:37 pm »
I think that Unlim has a lot of scenerys that should be middle, indluding a colider in the bottom...

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
Re: List of default maps & topics
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 06:37:01 am »
To make navigation easier in default map topics, I updated the first post with links into maps' topics.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 08:23:46 pm »
Since there's no topics for most of the default CTF maps, I'll just post this here: the background of both Guardian and Hormone should be made a tad darker. When flying high on Guardian it's hard to see knives, bullets and sometimes your crosshair.

This because changing the colour yourself is not possible in 1.5.1.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 08:52:43 pm »
Remove ctf_Lanubya and don't even keep any concept of it, just seems like a boring map all together
Lies. I've played a lot of CW's on it, and it's very fun.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 09:47:08 pm »
Keep ctf_Laos, a map that has been one of the major foundations of soldat
Maps that aren't really played that much: Replace ctf_Ruins with ctf_Jungul, Replace ctf_Kampf with ctf_Conflict, replace ctf_Maya with ctf_Mayapan
Remove ctf_Freefall, new concept with the falling packs, but very congested at spawn, and generic as well

straight opion though I wouldn't agree with everything and enough with ctf_Jungul.. looks are terrible and the current ruins could just use some easy twixes otherwise it's pretty neat. For example, making the map smoother (polygons) so you can run faster.

I think that Unlim has a lot of scenerys that should be middle, indluding a colider in the bottom...

If you got time and don't mind fixing it go ahead I don't have polyworks anyway
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:48:59 pm by Biggles »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 05:07:55 am »
Since there's no topics for most of the default CTF maps, I'll just post this here: the background of both Guardian and Hormone should be made a tad darker. When flying high on Guardian it's hard to see knives, bullets and sometimes your crosshair.

This because changing the colour yourself is not possible in 1.5.1.

Agreed both Guardian and Hormone. We had to modify the Guardian bg in any case, cos it was bright without cloud scenery. So when you don't render background scenery, you'll be blind.

The rest ctf maps will have their topics later.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 06:49:09 am »
Since there are no topics for volly, I think I should post here.
Its about the most game breaker nade bug. With that you can kill INC TOP and EFC camping easly, Alpha side only.

Btw:
Not excluding the funny old and nostagic glory days on pubs, the big INF maps dont offer much a competitive level, as a exemple in CTF scene, you got the new awesome Equinox and Mayapan, which bring a better gameplay but cleary remembering the old maps layout.
I am not a mapper, just a player, i would love to play competitively INF old maps, so what you devs and mappers think about?
Thx
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:55:43 am by biohazard »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:53:46 am »
Btw:
Not excluding the funny old and nostagic glory days on pubs, the big INF maps dont offer much a competitive level, as a exemple in CTF scene, you got the new awesome Equinox and Mayapan, which bring a better gameplay but cleary remembering the old maps layout.
I am not a mapper, just a player, i would love to play competitively INF old maps, so what you devs and mappers think about?
Thx

Agreed, there are a few maps that you just can't play at gather play, cos they are too big/too hard for attacker.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »
What's the current state of default maps of 1.5.1?

I'd love to know if this poll has had any impact on the final choises. It clearly states the opinion of the competitive scene, even though it was limited to only three votes per one voter. I do think, though, that it was not fair for the community to set the amount of votes so low.

I'm quite sure that most of the people who voted voted for the original map, not for a modified and toned-down version of the first remakes. Why spend time making the remakes "less irritating" even though it's clear that the bigger and more stable scene does not want any remakes?

The competitive scene has always been the supporting beam of Soldat. We have kept playing the game for years, while a typical public player has quitted the game after a couple of monts - mostly because of the bugs. Lack of flashy graphics is not the problem. It's been said many many times: old graphics ARE Soldat. I'm also sure the competitive side of Soldat has tossed more money to MM, EnEsCe and everyone who's working with the $$-side of Soldat than the pubbers ever will.

Why isn't that side of the community being listened? We did not ask for a change.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:56 pm »
I'm not a competitive player and never liked competitive gameplay. I'm a pubber and I've been playing Soldat for more than 4 years.

Basically you're saying that "we, competitive players, love soldat the most, screw pubbers". How fair is that?
Is competitive scene really all that bigger and more stable? I find that hard to believe - pubbers will be with Soldat as long as it's fun and fresh (sure some will leave eventually, but new players will come too), while competitives start whining at the slightest sight of changes and new features instead of just trying to enjoy the game in a new way (where does all that $$ go then? Into development of Soldat, or to stop it from developing any further?).

Soldat is a computer game, it's made for people to have fun. And not everyone can have fun playing serious clanwars on ugly maps, trying to prove who is better. Not everyone wants to set up IRC, join channels, start gathers just to play a quick game during a lunch break at school/work.
If competitive scene keeps slowing Soldat down like that - pubbers will eventally quit Soldat, and all that's left will be private matches and clan wars. But is that really a good thing? What happens when even old-timers get bored and start to quit? There won't be anyone to replace them.

Another thing I don't understand: is it really that hard to just make a server with older versions of maps? I'm sure it's a better solution than just take the game away from casual players.

Last question which pretty much sums up all my concerns about competitive scene:
I'm sorry I put it that way, but why are competitive players being such pussies?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:25:24 pm by L[0ne]R »