Author Topic: ctf_Dropdown  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
ctf_Dropdown
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:24:30 pm »
Known Issues:
  • Name should be Dropdown3
  • Collider under the flags should be middle

Feel free to post new issues, and discuss the current ones.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: ctf_Dropdown
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:28:51 pm »
It's hard to go from upper route to the flag when you are going to the right. (when you are going to the left is ok)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:31:15 am »
This is propably the hardest map to make an opinion to me. I've always hated a bit Dropdown2, and now there it comes remake which changes the original play a lot (propably the most of these remakes): The top route is now almost like main route, when it was propably the least used in DD2. I do enjoy this remake's play more than DD2 play.

But in other perspective, I feel that one original map gets less original. We got already many of these many routed maps to flag. Original dropdown layout (and DD2) is unique cos there are basically three routes in center which connects to one when you are still far from flag.

In the end I believe I have to say no for this, though I'm still working on with my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:34:17 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Vv00t-SN

• Camper
  • I aim to please!
    • fuck you skoskav & everyone else fucking with my profile all the time.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:08:35 pm »
The biggest concern with Dropdown (the old one), Dropdown2 (in various versions) was the ease with which one could spawnkill/spawncamp.

This is an issue that has gotten slightly better with the latest Dropdown2 (ie the 150 version), as one needed to throw grenades very hard, if one intended to put them through the separator between spawnpoint and flagbase.
So, consequently, DD2 was an ok map - not great, but dramatically improved over its predecessors.

The new Dropdown (lets call it DD3 for simplicity's sake) makes spawncamping a little easier again. The reason is the "top" route, which makes it easy to put grenades into the spawn chute, blocking effectively the lower exit. Hell, the top route even has grenade kits lying there, so its even better for those "gon-style" players, if you catch my drift :)

I do like the visuals, especially the night-sky background is very very pretty.

either this kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea.
Soldat Quote DB: http://qdb.soldatgather.com/

Offline Devastated Mind

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:36:47 pm »
The visuals are the best of all the new or remade maps.
However the gameplay has completely changed. In DD2 it really comes down to put up as much pressure as possible and rush like mad. In the remake the pace has been slowed down way too much. The opening of the top route provides space to evade battle (be it as attacker or as flag carrier), but when you decide to engage someone in DD2 he can run practically nowhere.
Some of the uniqueness of the map has been killed this way, now it's more similar to maps like Steel or Division. In my opinion there are enough maps that are similar to each other already. Many of the remakes reduce once unique maps to average maps. I mean Steel and Division and Ash and Rotten and Nuubia are fun, but now Laos and Dropdown feel like clones of those maps, too (small, fast paced, but still possibilities to "outsmart" the enemy).

Offline SOoly

• Major(1)
  • Yes,I`m
    • DarkTemplars
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:36 pm »
REMAKE THIS MAP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbt7aR6bgpc

& THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN
Yes,I`m

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:28:54 pm »
Why do things like that always happen to happen to you? I see there no problem as those situations are rare and can be handled by a simple /kill

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:15:48 pm »
although the extended spawning tunnels don't make much sense, the remake is far more fluent than the original because you can't (and shouldn't be able to) throw nades through the bullet collider walls below the spawns

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:37 am »
is there a way to remove the parachutes?

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »
yes, click your fire buttom [retard]
The parachutes are automatically there if the spawns are high. I can try putting invisible non collider polygons below the spawns, but not sure if it will work
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:23:17 pm by As de Espada »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
is there a way to remove the parachutes?

Are you fucking kidding me? 762 posts and you've been here for *years* and you don't know how to force out of parachutes, which are present on many maps in addition to this one? You're spawned with parachutes if you're high enough from polygons where if you free fell you'd get fall damage in realistic. Either right click or shoot.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »
Are you fucking kidding me? 762 posts and you've been here for *years* and you don't know how to force out of parachutes, which are present on many maps in addition to this one? You're spawned with parachutes if you're high enough from polygons where if you free fell you'd get fall damage in realistic. Either right click or shoot.

yes, click your fire buttom [retard]
The parachutes are automatically there if the spawns are high. I can try putting invisible non collider polygons below the spawns, but not sure if it will work
i added a "green players collide" polygon below the spawns and apparently it worked.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:23:49 pm by Dusty »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »
the problem with that is that flaggers will also collide with those polys. Either way, it is needed due to the realistic option.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:52 pm »
ah i see. however i don't understand why realistic should have it either because i'm sure nobody ever uses it. as dropdown is so fast map you're dead immediately if you hang on to the para.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:05 am »
Hello fellow Soldatiers! I suggest using my remade version of ctf_Dropdown2, because it is closer to the original gameplay than the version discussed here.

Overview: