Author Topic: ctf_Laos (updated version avaivable)  (Read 10904 times)

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
Re: ctf_Laos (updated version avaivable)
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »
I think the mappers should stop trying to make public servers more pleasing with the overhaul of scenery's and health packs.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline SpankyTank

• Major(1)
Re: ctf_Laos
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:20 am »
In my opinion this map never really needed gameplay update.

By keeping the polygons exactly the same as and just making look update would do a good compromise.

That way we could please both the community and newcomers.

The problem is we're not pleased with the way it looks. You're right, this is no where near due for a game play update, and I would argue a fair amount of people agree that it isn't really in need of a complete makeover. Adding Siddhartha to the map and getting rid of the polygons in the middle for weird huts? The window idea underneath the huts is an interesting idea, but keep it looking the same and make changes that fit the theme, then test it.
And it's cool how you smoothed the polygons and all, but point edges don't really bother me unless they protrude from somewhere ridiculous, in my opinion, it makes game play faster, but that's just me.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 05:02:38 am »
I think the mappers should stop trying to make public servers more pleasing with the overhaul of scenery's and health packs.
Remove the health packs that are in the alt route and up top. Just keep them at bases. Overwise there will be more campers low.
Remove the health packs that are in the alt route and up top. Just keep them at bases. Overwise there will be more campers low.

Other than that, I like it now.
Other than that, I like it now.
Totally agree with him. Medkits after the flag were a very interesting thing in laos, you'll have to choose if you would pick them, loosing time but winning health, or just run away the fast as possible.

removing medikits from behing the flag forces the flagger in stalemates to move outside the spawn area(where he is fairly safe because teammates can spawn and regrab the flag if he dies) to go forward into the map takeing a risk to get a medikit.
medikits more towards the middle also aids escape and makes attacking more easier. As you can regain health on the way towards the flag/capping.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 05:29:53 am »
I disagree.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 06:45:20 am »
I can never find medkits when playing the new version of Laos. (medic kits at the upper route always get bugged cause they're placed on a inclined plane [did someone post this bug on the bug tracker already?])

And I don't really like that the attacker is just able to get full health even if you've shot him to 10% health just before you died mid-map.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 06:53:30 am »
I can never find medkits when playing the new version of Laos. (medic kits at the upper route always get bugged cause they're placed on a inclined plane [did someone post this bug on the bug tracker already?])

And I don't really like that the attacker is just able to get full health even if you've shot him to 10% health just before you died mid-map.

You have to take in mind though that when you are the efc running with the flag gettings sprayed from the behind those medikits will help you.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 08:59:43 am »
Thats what makes Laos funner, running away with 20% health, and heroing the match.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 09:25:10 am »
Im going to simply suggest that the Laos remake be abondoned. While I initially liked this remake, after playing it in several 3v3's, I have noticed that the gameplay is not really improved (Its worst due to the smoothed out polygons), and the fact that there is very significant disapproval against this map simply tells me that this is one of maps that should be restored to its original form.

There are changes that can be made to the original that help its gameplay, such as making entrances into the base from low wider.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline Bugs Revenge

• Camper
Re: ctf_Laos
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 12:29:30 pm »
I prefere to keep the original than this new version.
Agreed,
you can't just replace one of the best map soldat is based on ^^

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 03:37:23 pm »
I think that laos it's the key of the remakes rejections.
I'll try to make an hybrid version (old shape, new looks)
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:56 pm »
Good luck, I can't wait to see it. Before going on and making the map, maybe discuss with some experienced players on what game play changes could be made.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 11:57:46 pm »
Good luck, I can't wait to see it. Before going on and making the map, maybe discuss with some experienced players on what game play changes could be made.
there will be NO gameplay changes
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:12 am »
I ment simple things like Poop discussed.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 06:37:23 pm »
FFS NOBODY LIKES U TRYING TO CHANGE THE PERFECT AND NICELY MADE AND BEAUTIFUL LAOS PLEASE STOP THIS BULLs**t NOW. HOW CAN WE MAKE U UNDERSTAND THAT THESE MAPS ARE NOT GOING TO WORK? HOW CAN U THINK U UNDERSTAND GAMEPLAY??????? INC HAD 90 LOSSES LAST SCTFL????? IF U UNDERSTOOD GAME U'D WIN SOMETHING!  SOME OF YOUR POSTS ARE RIDICULOUS.

CAPSLOCK SHOWS MY INDULGENCE AND REPULSE KK?

Every time you make an update your just going closer to the original and still no one is happy... U FEEL ME?

Everytime some one posts why you have fucked them up... its "No man thats not good gameplay I R KNOWLEDGE AND NOES HOW SOLDATZ shud BE PLAYED!" "Well... Thats not my opinion" "Your just an old vet raging cos u wont be able to ownz nibz!"

FACT: Old maps are sexier and gameplay is better. If you want to tweak some little things in them then thats the best way to do it. Not remaking the whole map to a hulky piece of crapness and then slowly reverting it back to original.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:47:17 pm by CheeSeMan. »
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 09:27:48 pm »
New Laos (latest version) is good and totally playable. If this was original Laos - I highly doubt anyone would complain whine.
Small polygon changes here and there and a collider moved a few pixels to the side won't ruin the gameplay. In the end it all depends on players' skills.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 05:26:57 am »
No bashing allowed in mapping forums. For such action you'll be awarded with warning. Congrats Cheeseman!

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 06:16:52 am »
Look man :E i was just trying another method... the general opinion of these maps is that the community for the most part does not like them. Therefore, i do not comprehend why you guys keep trying to change them. There have been long posts detailing why they will not work... now what else can we do but shout.

There is a much simplier way to make everyone feel better: Replace maps that are currently bad with new ones, why trying to change ones that are already great :E Like what you have done with snakebite this is great: but Laos never needed any editing... If laos wasn't a good map it never would have been the default map in cws for so long. For instance Lanubya why don't you remove it and make something completely different and better...

Really I just fail to understand why none of you can comprehend that these maps will not be liked... Really man what do you want that will make you change your mind.

Post a poll look at the outcome you will see...

like i said u have no regard for people's opinion's other than your own and i was just trying to show you what i will predict will happen when this version will be released.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:18:42 am by CheeSeMan. »
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 08:33:17 am »
CheeSeMan I feel you..... I've been thinking the exact same thing for the past days.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 09:46:38 am »
I would really like to see more people on the beta team, a handful of competitive and public players that do not make maps.

I feel this would help the development of the maps hugely, as our input would be felt more. Or atleast when it comes down to it that it is not SuoW/Zakath decided the results in the end.
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Geoffrey

• Major
  • 2Wai
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 10:18:41 am »
Just stop trying to update Laos for no reason. Doesn't need it and never did. Close the thread, cancel the update, keep the original in the maplist and move onto other maps.