Author Topic: Ctf_Coolbya  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Ctf_Coolbya
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »
Ctf_Coolbya3
Overview
Download

Unique and super fun to play. Looks are also very simple but still nice looking, and not causing fps drops for sure! Both maps are big enough for publics but at the same time small enough for 3VS3 matches.

Icy polygons don't ruin the gameplay of Coolbya3. Non-mirrored yet rather balanced, that's what I always felt while playing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:08:33 am by Suowarrior »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: Recommendation: Ctf_Coolbya3
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:52:13 pm »
most fo the new maps are mirrowed, this would be a good turn
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:10:13 pm »
I'm propably the worst person to comment on this cos of creating it and it's the first map by me at these forums.

It's still one of my favourite maps. It has always been pretty popular at soldat.gather custom. Always thought that this use of ice element would be stop for default. But I guess nowadays we got much more weirder stuff (flag throws, dropping flags, reversed flags etc).

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:57:55 am »
This map is seriously a good one.

Imo it should be a default.
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline Vv00t-SN

• Camper
  • I aim to please!
    • fuck you skoskav & everyone else fucking with my profile all the time.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 12:24:26 pm »
To be honest, I love playing this map, but I don't see it as default, and here's why: It's a very "open" design - for example, despite the fact that theres various routes available, everyone will always end up meeting or crossing paths in the center. "X" has the same flaw - but there it is done to the extreme, and it has some particular tweaks (high ground base, lower ground w bridge) that make it work somehow..

either this kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea.
Soldat Quote DB: http://qdb.soldatgather.com/

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:10:29 pm »
I can see why this map is good. I mean it's just 'fun' from looking at it. I like how the bottom route ramps up to the middle on both sides and coming from either side - one could gain quite a bit of speed and distance. The open areas look well balanced. I'm just wondering about the bridge on the red side. On the blue side there are 2 paths of escape, but on the red side the second (mid-back) path is blocked by the bridge. Does that bother anyone or does it help with balance?

As for imagery... only a suggestion, but pop a few freezer lights here and there... like 2 or 3. Nothing that's distracting, but that accents the light/shadow and the color of the light which to me looks like a reflection from those big white mercury vapor lights that you see in warehouses or like the warehouse freezer I worked in for a while (which is a shitty job... never ever ever do it).

Very nice. I'll be trying it out. Hopefully if it is as good as it looks - it'll make the cut for default status.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:02:26 pm »
I can see why this map is good. I mean it's just 'fun' from looking at it. I like how the bottom route ramps up to the middle on both sides and coming from either side - one could gain quite a bit of speed and distance. The open areas look well balanced. I'm just wondering about the bridge on the red side. On the blue side there are 2 paths of escape, but on the red side the second (mid-back) path is blocked by the bridge. Does that bother anyone or does it help with balance?

It's version 3 mainly cos of balance fixing. At the moment it's pretty good balanced. Sometimes I feel advantage on bravo and sometimes as alpha, so I think it's fine.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:07:10 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline Kouleman

• Major(1)
Re: Recommendation: Ctf_Coolbya
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 02:37:47 am »
Sure it is fun to play. If this would realy got to default I will laught my ass off when I remember how it was desinged. I just remember one day sitting with SuoW infront of computer and we start to draw somthing randomly. And got coolbya1 ;> "Inspiration map without brains"

I just miss the old versions neet mushrooms! want those back! :D
(ok ok it doens't work at winter theme)

Well I never tough it as a default canditate ever.
But I won't object if people realy want it. Sure it could be fun to play at public. (And boosting effects got some nice strategy posibilitys) And we actually got icy polygon boosting map already as a default (blade)

But keep discussing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:04:48 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Vv00t-SN

• Camper
  • I aim to please!
    • fuck you skoskav & everyone else fucking with my profile all the time.
Re: Recommendation: Ctf_Coolbya
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:15:55 am »
Sure it is fun to play. If this would realy got to default I will laught my ass off when I remember how it was desinged. I just remember one day sitting with SuoW infront of computer and we start to draw somthing randomly. And got coolbya1 ;> "Inspiration map without brains"

I just miss the old versions neet mushrooms! want those back! :D
(ok ok it doens't work at winter theme)

Well I never tough it as a default canditate ever.
But I won't object if people realy want it. Sure it could be fun to play at public. (And boosting effects got some nice strategy posibilitys) And we actually got icy polygon boosting map already as a default (blade)

But keep discussing.

Theres also IceBeam with Ice.

But, both IceBeam and Coolbya KICK BLADE'S BUTT ANY DAY.

either this kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea.
Soldat Quote DB: http://qdb.soldatgather.com/

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
Re: Ctf_Coolbya
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:26:39 am »
lol? icebeam BLOWS compared to blade :< i'd agree with Vvoot on this one it is great fun playing it in custom gathers and i think it would be even more madness in public. But something is wrong maybe because, it is really just a map for immense lols, chainsaw sliding :D I wouldn't mind it being default but i can see it causing problems with the "serious" crew.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:28:47 am »
I wouldn't mind it being default but i can see it causing problems with the "serious" crew.

No one is forcing them to play the game lulz

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:15 am »
ye not really a reason, i was just saying that for me atleast this map has always just been a LOLZ map chainsaw surfing :) which i love doing, Im just saying that im not sure if every soldat player sees that as soldat therefore, I don't think everyone would agree with this map as being a default.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Acid Jester

• Major(1)
  • Flames Fan 4ever!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:19 pm »
This is by far my favorite new 1.5.1 map. There just isn't really anything I don't like about it...Keep it as it is and I will be happy  8)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »
Might you add some working links ?
As far as I can remember this was / is a pretty good map and should maybe be considered to be added to the new version.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »
there is a good site for finding old maps (I found coolbya3): http://sfd.doc776.org/map/4695
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade