Author Topic: ls_Village  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
ls_Village
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:55:27 pm »
ls_Village
By Monster

So, my third map if I counted right. When two last maps were for hardcorers, this is for medium skilled. The church's toof and one house's roof are somewhat copied a bit from tw_trainyards. (made by tk) So, some people can wonder why do the zombies spwan from church.
The reason for that is, that when the map is running on Dedicated server, zombies may hop around in some places. Or then just stand. I got that problem near the farmer house, and in the marketplace. I tried and tried to solve the problem, but no results. So, because they don't come from somewhere countryside, I'll tell a story for weird spwanplaces:
Village's priest, called Ray McCall, was changing from day to day changing weirder and weirder. In one happy day, he then didn't keep worship, and locked all the doors from church. He was inside there for a week, and anybody didn't know what he was doing there. (~fap~fap~fap~) Deep inside his mind, he had came crazy, because of the VERY faithless people in his village. So, in that day, something clicked in his brains. He turned to forces of satan, calling him everyday, and finally, his begging was revarded.
a Big smoke came out from holy wine glass, and the church was filled with flames and a great voice what said: ``I have heard you, my humble subject! God has fled, and the darkness prevails! I harness you to my general, I harness you to destroy the humanity! I will wake up the deads, and they shall do what you command them to do. This is how it's written, you shall make it true!´´
Then all the smoke and fire disappeared, and McCall sat down the floor, and an evil smile appeared to his face. For a while he lol'd, then suddenly the ground started to shake. a Hand pushed up through the church's solid rock floor, another, third, and somekind disgusting, bloody zombies came up to service the Satan and his priest, his general.
``Good, my humble people, GO, and destroy everything in your pass!´´ Then they went, broke the door, while the veil of night dropped on earth. People, who were discussing about the priest on market, got naturally scared, and tried to run away but WAY too late.
One of them though escaped, doctor called Tim, a good man with big brains and a penis.
He headed for farm near the village, where Sheriff McCallister went some time ago. (megetsbored) He told the situation those who were in house, they picked up weapons for sheriff had went to that farm from.
You know the rest.

(^Click To Enlarge^)

Download / Rate on TMS

See more maps by Monster

Hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:17:36 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

DarkCrusade

Re: ls_Village
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:06:41 pm »
Looks nice, though I'd make all the scenery in the background darker ;)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:12:24 pm »
Ok, now I'm gonna whine about this map too. :P
Actually this map is pretty good, I don't have as many complaints as for your 2 previous maps.

1) That box that's blocking the way for zombies is really annoying because it blocks players' shots and slows down overall pace of the game. The right entrance of Ferry Plaza (one you can't shoot through) is annoying as well because well.. you cant shoot through it.

2) I also think the map's a bit too short. You need to give players a little more time to damage zombies, especially if a map is so flat. Instead of using that annoying box I suggest just stretching some parts of the map a tiny bit, maybe adding a few pits and bumps that slow down zombies but don't block fire.

3) I think it would be more fun to have zombies start on the right side and players spawn on the left. It even adds a bit of a story to the map: a village in the middle of nowhere is being attacked by zombies, and its last survivors are making their last stand in the church. Church would make a really nice camping spot (except that "ferry plaza" is blocking the way..). You could also place the black flag on the church's roof, and when zombies reach the church - make them surround it and climb up onto the roof.

Maybe you should play LS more to better understand what makes a good LS map. I suggest checking out these maps: ls_HauntedHill, ls_Blocks, ls_FalloutBunker, ls_DefiledCave, ls_zombcavec
Play on those maps and notice how many different spots there are, how players use those spots to defend effectively, what tricks are used to make the game easier or harder, how many different tactics players could come up with..

Overall though this map is nice. I like the visuals in all of your maps a lot, they're very atmospheric. It's the layout that needs some improvement, but you're getting there.
I've attached a slightly edited version to show what I mean (though i forgot to move the spawns around)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:58:01 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:56:05 am »
Looks nice, though I'd make all the scenery in the background darker ;)
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm fine with the looks ;)
That box that's blocking the way for zombies is really annoying because it blocks players' shots and slows down overall pace of the game. The right entrance of Ferry Plaza (one you can't shoot through) is annoying as well because well.. you cant shoot through it.
Too easy, if you could spray there without problem. So, most people just climb up on that market, and then it's ok when they can spray zombies from there.
First both doors were broken, but this:
I think it would be more fun to have zombies start on the right side and players spawn on the left. It even adds a bit of a story to the map: a village in the middle of nowhere is being attacked by zombies, and its last survivors are making their last stand in the church. Church would make a really nice camping spot (except that "ferry plaza" is blocking the way..). You could also place the black flag on the church's roof, and when zombies reach the church - make them surround it and climb up onto the roof.
Answer:So, some people can wonder why do the zombies spwan from church.
The reason for that is, that when the map is running on Dedicated server, zombies may hop around in some places. Or then just stand. I got that problem near the farmer house, and in the marketplace. I tried and tried to solve the problem, but no results. So, because they don't come from somewhere countryside, I'll tell a story for weird spwanplaces.
Maybe you should play LS more to better understand what makes a good LS map
I actually play LS a lot. Maybe then I haven't understood it. ..But these three maps aren't fun?
Alright, my looks are ok, improvements needed at the layout. That's what I clearly understood. I'm maybe posting something more, when I have taken a bit look for your version.

Well, I can see that you only removed the collider box and flied the market up, to be a flying house ;) I'm not so sure for removing that market, it's nice and well, if enough ppl request that, I can make the another door to be brokened also.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:03:38 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »
Too easy, if you could spray there without problem. So, most people just climb up on that market, and then it's ok when they can spray zombies from there.
The thing is - you can only get one or two people who can stay on the ground and shoot multiple zombies in a row right in the face. One would be lying on the ground, another would be standing or crouching. But there isn't much space left for a 3rd person because his teammates are already blocking the line of fire. Not to mention that it's dangerous because except that box there's nothing else in zombies' way. So I think on this map spraying isn't a problem at all.

The reason for that is, that when the map is running on Dedicated server, zombies may hop around in some places. Or then just stand. I got that problem near the farmer house, and in the marketplace. I tried and tried to solve the problem, but no results.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that problem. It's really annoying. :( I had it happen on ls_Langsam_2 and someone told me to add some waypoints in the air above a spot where zombies keep jumping. I'm not sure if it's the waypoints or if the author of the script managed to fix it somehow, but they seem to have stopped getting stuck.

Maybe you should play LS more to better understand what makes a good LS map
I actually play LS a lot. Maybe then I haven't understood it. ..But these three maps aren't fun?
Well, to be honest - not really. :/ They're close, but there's always one or two things that make it hard or somewhat boring. Though I've seen some really bad or unbalanced LS maps, so yours are actually not that bad (plus again: they look great).

I'm not sure what exactly is the problem.. I'm thinking that your maps aren't focused on tactic as much as they should. You only seem to add spots that are good for almost any class and any weapon, but a good LS map needs different kinds of spots, each with its cons and pros - make some of them bad for some classes (for example, medic needs to be able to reach his teammates fast, so a closed-off bunker or a dead end is a bad spot for him), some of them bad for some weapons (explosives are only good when lots of zombies are together, so a good spot for explosives would be ground with lots of holes and obstacles), some - bad against special zombies and bosses (they can reach you with fire/vomit/explosion), etc.

Well, I can see that you only removed the collider box and flied the market up, to be a flying house ;) I'm not so sure for removing that market, it's nice and well, if enough ppl request that, I can make the another door to be brokened also.
I removed the market because if players spawn in the church - the market would block players' line of fire. But that's if players spawn on the left. Btw, I also unblocked the doors in the house on the right side so that zombies could get through if they came from that side.
But no matter who spawns on which side - I really think you should allow players to shoot through both of market's doors. In LS it's very annoying when you see zombies, but can't shoot them. Normally you need to be able to shoot them as soon as they show up on the screen, otherwise you start damaging them too late and can't kill them in time.

By the way, what name do you go by on LS servers? I don't remember playing with you. :S
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:46:21 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:20 am »
Sometimes Nemmaus (in ls3) and then {BC} Monsteri

btw, if you played on this, did you notice those pigs? ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:30:34 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:14:36 am »
New version is out! I hope you like it.
Changelog:
-Moved bravo spwans to the church.
-Moved alpha spwans to the left.
-Removed colliders from the left side of the farmer house, and added a 'bridge' to 2nd floor.
-Made overall new waypoints.
-Brokened both doors.
-Added a lightly scenery behind ferry plaza's doors.
-Made the colllider box lower.
-Moved the blood-- well, maybe not that much details. That's it.

btw: the new version is in attachment.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:18:13 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.