Author Topic: Infiltration discussion  (Read 10892 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Infiltration discussion
« on: November 26, 2009, 02:28:00 pm »
New maps/modifications/bugs/etc.

New maps in default (beta) maplist:
inf_April
inf_Warlock
inf_Belltower
inf_Swan
inf_Magnetic (going to be deleted)

Suggestions for modifications:
inf_Outpost - Download
inf_Warehouse - Download
inf_Rise - Download

Suggestions for new maps:
Inf_Undermine - Download

Discuss
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:06:30 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: Infiltration discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 02:56:50 pm »
I suggest the lONEr remakes, they are better looking without hurting gameplay. Sunrise seems promissing with a new route too.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:32:39 pm »
Sadly there's a plenty of PNGs in my maps, and Zakath said - not a single png scenery is allowed in default maps.
If anyone wants to try and.. remake my remakes to make them look good without PNGs - feel free to do so.

Actually, I'll do that with Warehouse. Since it uses very few pngs - it'll be a piece of cake to modify. But Fortress and especially SunRise will be tricky to change and I dont feel motivated to work on maps anymore. :/

-----------

I'd like to suggest inf_Langsam.
It's a nice long map, a lot of people enjoyed playing on it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:48:07 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:07:58 pm »
Sadly there's a plenty of PNGs in my maps, and Zakath said - not a single png scenery is allowed in default maps.
If anyone wants to try and.. remake my remakes to make them look good without PNGs - feel free to do so.
(...)
I'm very good at this. I've always been working with default scenerys only, maybe this weekend I'll take a look into fortress
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:10:18 pm »
(...)
I'm very good at this. I've always been working with default scenerys only, maybe this weekend I'll take a look into fortress
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. I've fixed texture stretches and improved polygon structure a lot (same goes for Rise) and I'd feel bad if all that went to waste. :S

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:20:17 am »
Add inf_Undermine as a default map! NOW!

(pm if you don't have it.)

EDIT: L[0ne]R, I reckon you should have a look at possibly redoing inf_Rise, so it doesn't look so dodgy... :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:40:47 am by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:12:38 am »
EDIT: L[0ne]R, I reckon you should have a look at possibly redoing inf_Rise, so it doesn't look so dodgy... :P

Couldn't find working download link in forums. Upload or get me link for and I'll look into it. Also if you got some statistics from your servers related team balance or popularity, that info would have use here.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:11:27 am »
Well, I know that inf_Undermine is loved while inf_Biologic is hated, because whenever inf_Biologic used to come up on GameArena 2 Infiltration, people would votemap inf_Undermine and play that instead. I say used to, because now inf_Biologic has been replaced by inf_Undermine on that server.

I've attached inf_Undermine to this post. I'm missing one scenery for it (MMSbed3.bmp), so you'll have to find it.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 08:56:05 am »
Okay inf_Undermine seemed ok layout itself.

In my opinion, it would require some tweaking:
- Routes are so slow to move on that they reminds of climbing maps. So some smoothening would do good.
- It looks both ugly and distracting - looks must be improved.

I'd like to see some mapper taking the challenge.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:12:01 am »
- Routes are so slow to move on that they reminds of climbing maps. So some smoothening would do good.
Well, it was made in the old map maker, I'm pretty sure, which explains the crappiness of the actual map... but, yeah, it's layout is great.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:55:49 am »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:40:16 pm »
Inf_Undermine is a great map. Me and many other players had a lot of fun on it.

True, but that also gave enough time for blues to intercept flagger, which was an important part of balance. If the route you're talking about is smoothened - the left path will also need to be shorter to compensate that.

I'd like to see some mapper taking the challenge.
That, sadly, is true.

And above all that I'd like to mention spawnkilling issues, especially for red team. Good thing we have new polys now.

I'd really love to rework this map, but I've still got other maps on my hands (optimise SunRise, Fortress and Warehouse, rework Abel and Moonshine). :S
I really hope there will be enough time before 1.5.1 final release for all that.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 08:47:37 pm »
Abel and Moonshine can wait. I'd claim you as my hero if you reworked Undermine and got it into the default maps list :D.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:53 pm »
Abel and Moonshine can wait. I'd claim you as my hero if you reworked Undermine and got it into the default maps list :D.
Well, I've still got the other reworks that I've made. But I'll take a look at undermine.

Also, I'd like to suggest inf_Highlands: http://soldathq.com/map.php?map=inf_Highlands
I think it's a nice-looking map with decent balance.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:31 pm »
Aesop with only .bmp sceneries is attached. Give it a shot perhaps. I'd like to stress though that both versions run at the same FPS, for me at least.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:12:48 am by Wraithlike »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 07:03:50 pm »
Updated inf_SunRise to 1.1 with major FPS optimisations. Changed most PNG sceneries to BMP and made an extra-fugly version specially for default maplist. It has no PNGs or semi-transparent polygons, so hopefully it meets all the requirements.

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=36727.0

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:57 pm »
Updated inf_SunRise to 1.1 with major FPS optimisations. Changed most PNG sceneries to BMP and made an extra-fugly version specially for default maplist. It has no PNGs or semi-transparent polygons, so hopefully it meets all the requirements.

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=36727.0

I should probably say this in the maps thread, but make custom sceneries for the inside of the building so they can still have lighting. Just because it's all .bmp's doesn't mean it has to be ugly.

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 04:47:06 am »
I'd say Undermine needs reworked as far as looks, but the gameplay is fine. Industrial has a few poly issues that I'd like to see resolved also.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:30 pm »
Industrial is great both in terms of looks and gameplay. I don't remember many polybugs there, but it's always good to double-check.

I tried working on Undermine, but it's killing me.. I don't know what should I do about the looks. I improved polygon structure a bit so I'll upload at least that part later. But I don't think I'll go back to it anytime soon.

Also, updated inf_Outpost Rework to 1.3: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=36788.0
(Crimson Goth, I'd appreciate if you add it to Graveyard's maplist so that more people could test it.)

Offline Amida

• Major
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 11:22:59 am »

Yes this map was great to play. Also what's with all these remakes of the default maps?! We need new infiltration maps which are worthy of becoming default, not shiney remade default maps. :(

Grave add undermine to your server! It's been ages since I last played it.