Author Topic: Attach Time/Score Limit/Max Players/Bonus Frequency/Respawn Time to the PMS File  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Right now Soldat vaguely assumes that all maps play correctly with the same settings. This, as I'm sure all of you are aware is not true. I feel like competitive and casual soldat would benefit from having game settings tethered to the map. Instead of picking the settings, the server host could just chose something like "default" and it's play with the mappers intended settings, or they could modify them to fit the server.

Any input? Support or disapproval?

(Sorry if this has been addressed before, I'm rarely on this board.)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
For the settings you mentioned - I think they should be left as server settings rather than map settings.

They're what makes each server unique. You can make an intense server for 14 players with long rounds and lots of bonuses, or you can make something small like a 3vs3 gather with bonuses off.
Respawn time, max players, score limit - those aren't the settings that make a map unique. Most maps are playable regardless of what those settings are. But if they were parts of map - it would be much harder to balance maps, not to mention that servers will lose a good bit of "personality".

One thing I agree on is bonuses. I think they should be taken more seriously. Right now they're unbalanced and mostly unused, but if they're placed and balanced better - it would be worth making their respawn times as part of the map instead of server setting (but with a server option to disable them completely).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:20:23 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
I don't mean for servers to be helpless, but I think maps should have these settings that can be overridden if those running the server wish. It would allow mappers to balance maps to a greater extent, such as a easily defensible map, that only requires 3 caps to win, or a frantic map where caps are easy, players respawn quickly, and the time limit is short. These would all alter gameplay significantly, and would allow maps to become more unique, without necessarily changing longstanding servers and communities.

Offline freestyler

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
So you can either choose the options by yourself or check "use default settings" which would gray out the affected ones. Sounds good.

The only thing I wouldn't like to see implemented is Max Players, since it wouldn't work too good after mapchange.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
I don't mean for servers to be helpless, but I think maps should have these settings that can be overridden if those running the server wish. It would allow mappers to balance maps to a greater extent, such as a easily defensible map, that only requires 3 caps to win, or a frantic map where caps are easy, players respawn quickly, and the time limit is short. These would all alter gameplay significantly, and would allow maps to become more unique, without necessarily changing longstanding servers and communities.
It can work the other way round. Like I said - it makes it much harder to balance a map and creates a lot of room for mistakes. Also, what if a mapper doesn't want to set a score limit/respawn time, etc?

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
Some servers tend to have more allowed grenades than a map should have (in case of small maps), sometimes it is better to have very short respawn times or visa versa, changing them manually for each map would be laborious. Some maps may become s**t with too many bonuses spawning all over the place. All of this and, of course, loads more could be preset by the map creator (of course if he knows what the s**t he is doing). Great idea.
Perhaps some weapons could also be restricted on some maps as well.
Also, sometimes there is a need for sniper lines, but when you notice that you need it, you discover that it had been disabled...
I also though about passwording maps so that hotshot arsefingers wouldn't edit them without permission, but that's another story.
score limit = sure, whatever floats ze boat
time limit = why not?
max players = ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:04:46 pm by Horve »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
I'm game.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
aren't those settings possible to change without restarting the sever? which means it's already possible with scripting.