Author Topic: INF_Outpost remake  (Read 19880 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
INF_Outpost remake
« on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:14 pm »
----------- Description:
Yet another rework of yet another default INF map. This time I tried not to repeat my mistakes with other reworks, so I didn't use any PNG sceneries at all. All sceneries are BMP's from default Soldat set. I also did a little bit of rebalancing in reds' favor.
Hopefully this one will make it into defaults for sure.  [retard]

----------- Changes:
v1.5
- Moved Red spawns closer towards the center.
- Removed the cave where old Red spawns were.

v1.4
- Repositioned bonus spawns.
- Added neutral player spawns.
- Added rambo bow spawns.
- Stretched textures.
- Replaced some of the outside polygons with sceneries to make minimap smaller.
- Other minor changes.
*included 1.5-compatible version in the archive.

v1.3
- Re-designed the additional mini-route on Red Team's side.
Left entrance now has a bullet-collide polygon and was redesigned to make entering and exiting easier. Because of bullet-collide polygon attacking from that spot isn't possible. Its main purpose now is giving Red Team a good cover from enemy fire and providing a quick way to get on the same altitude with the enemy instead of attacking from downhill.
- Added berserker bonus spawn closer to Red base.
- Moved 2nd predator spawn to the extra mini-route.
- A few minor tweaks.
- Removed the "lite" version from the archive as the differences between versions are insignificant.

v1.2
- Added a predator bonus spawn closer to Red base.
- Made map edges opaque to avoid FPS drop.
- A few minor tweaks

v1.1
- Added "lite" version with more transparent backgrounds.
- A few minor tweaks.

v1.0
- Improved polygon shading and structure.
- More sceneries.

- Removed unnecessary collider spam from top route.
- Tunnels are now less straight to provide a little more cover and make barrett-camping harder.
- Bottom-left part now has a bit more cover and bushes to hide in.
- Small tunnel in the cliff above the hill, to provide red team another spot to attack from.
- Spawncamp-proof spawns for both teams.

----------- Previews:
Original:

Rework:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:49:27 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: INF_Outpost Rework
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:54:38 pm »
I like the polygon improvements. Toss out the backgrounds.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »
Why do you all hate backgrounds so much? Those are caves, they need to have backgrounds. -_-

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:39:24 pm »
Gameplay > Looks, that bg scenery has too huge contrast into other background. I tested map and saw that you deleted bg already?

Anyway if you really need to make some darker bg. Color the blank scenery similiar to background, and make it a bit darker, that way it won't distract the game and it still bring some atmosphere.

http://i47.tinypic.com/35hhe93.png

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:04:34 pm »
Gameplay > Looks, that bg scenery has too huge contrast into other background. I tested map and saw that you deleted bg already?

Anyway if you really need to make some darker bg. Color the blank scenery similiar to background, and make it a bit darker, that way it won't distract the game and it still bring some atmosphere.

http://i47.tinypic.com/35hhe93.png
*sigh* fiiiine. I guess I'll never understand what's so distracting about it. :(
Anyway, I included version with lighter backgrounds in the archive.

And no, I didn't delete any BGs.. are you sure you haven't disabled them?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:37:09 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:32:22 pm »
High route looks interesting. This map has always been biased towards bravo, since if they get that stat gun position, Alpha is buggered unless someone gets past low without being noticed, so the high route should offer a way to get the team together to attack... or just another place for Bravo to camp with Barretts... :S
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:25 pm »
High route looks interesting. This map has always been biased towards bravo, since if they get that stat gun position, Alpha is buggered unless someone gets past low without being noticed, so the high route should offer a way to get the team together to attack... or just another place for Bravo to camp with Barretts... :S
Agreed.

Anyway, I like how Alpha has another spawn zone in the air, helpful against Bravo's spawn tactics.

I think you could add or move the Predator bonus nearer towards the Alpha team.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:08:43 pm »
didn't down yet (no time)
nice remake. that upper spaws really fixes the hill of death thing (all bravos campering on the hill after the cover)

actually I think that fade polys give low fps too
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:31:58 pm »
No, bravo won't be able to snipe there (on the right side at least). The edges are icy (marked in cyan on the pic below), so best you can do is spam nades (if you're lucky enough to find some in that spot).

I did a lot of precise tuning there, so here's how area of fire would look for red sniper and statgunner:

Statgun can reach the icy edge of the top area, but it won't reach the sniper. Sniper, however, can't reach the statgunner, but can hit the bunker under it.

Good suggestion. I added another spawn, you can see it on the pic above in the bottom-right corner.
I'm not sure how multiple bonus spawns work.. will they both spawn pred or only one per map?

actually I think that fade polys give low fps too
Damn, I didn't think about that.. :<
I'll fix that in the next update.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:08:16 pm »
I was talking about the HILL
and how it's fixed now with the new alpha spawns

I am pretty sure you can make that deadly spot better
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:28 pm »
Good suggestion. I added another spawn, you can see it on the pic above in the bottom-right corner.
I'm not sure how multiple bonus spawns work.. will they both spawn pred or only one per map?
Although there are multiple locations, only one box will spawn, and that one box may spawn randomly in any of the locations.

Also, I think the Predator box, when spawned in the new spawn point, will roll down the hill. Is it intended?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:28:19 pm by STM1993 »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 04:41:51 pm »
Updated to 1.3

Also, I think the Predator box, when spawned in the new spawn point, will roll down the hill. Is it intended?
Yeah. I changed it to berserker kit now, but yes, it's intended  (although serves no purpose [retard] ).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:22:44 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:35:56 am »
Should add more ice polies to make the map more realistic or atleast change it to a 'colder' theme. I like the new route though.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 03:55:55 pm »
Should add more ice polies to make the map more realistic or atleast change it to a 'colder' theme. I like the new route though.
Thanks for the idea. I thought that Outpost lacked a theme, but I couldn't think of anything.
Winter theme sounds great (especially with the fact that there are no winter maps for INF), but it'd be hard to do without multi-texturing. If I were to multi-texture it - it would mean completely remaking the map from scratch and  having a polycount wayyy over the 500 (max allowed for default maps).

I'll leave it at that for now because there are other maps that still need work, but I might make a winter version of Outpost some day.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 12:01:42 am »
(especially with the fact that there are no winter maps for INF)
Actually, there is one. It's Inf_Messner.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:05:44 am by STM1993 »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 03:41:03 am »
If I were to multi-texture it - it would mean completely remaking the map from scratch and  having a polycount wayyy over the 500 (max allowed for default maps).

Max polycount 700. About winter theme, I do support it, since there aren't a lot winter maps in maplist. It would match into Outpost pretty nicely. However it's propably the hardest theme to pick, along with desert, when we talk about having great looks. Usually it requires cool multitexturing and even better sceneryusage (since you just can't throw lianas everywhere). There's a good challenge for some mapper.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »
Updated to v1.4..
my perfectionism is killing me...

(especially with the fact that there are no winter maps for INF)
Actually, there is one. It's Inf_Messner.
That's right, forgot all about it. But it's not very popular and usually gets !nextmap'ed anyway.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
  • I'm trigger happy, trigger happy!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »
This was one of my favorite maps from the start. I love the rework! Awesome job. VERY fun map!  [fist] power to the 1337 map makers!
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
Re: INF_Outpost remake
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 04:21:39 am »
I almost forgot you did this map. Again I like it. Wouldn't mind ice polies on the low route either. Sorta like Amida's version. Anywho, I'm downloading it. Gj.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
Re: INF_Outpost remake
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 11:15:35 am »
I almost forgot you did this map. Again I like it. Wouldn't mind ice polies on the low route either. Sorta like Amida's version. Anywho, I'm downloading it. Gj.
Hm. Never seen Amida's version, but ice polys there sound like a great idea. You can change it yourself since I'm not sure which polys should be ice but I'll definitely add them someday when I finally get to making a winter version of this map.