Author Topic: Nuubia remake - multitextured  (Read 8297 times)

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
Re: Nuubia remake - multitextured
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 07:39:56 am »
nothin'

just tried to make a biohazard symbol... but... phailed hardy

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 07:40:17 am »
Default requirements say polycount less than 700. It's not that black and white, but we need to set line somewhere and mappers should obey them.

I can't see reason for bg scenery in tunnel.

I'm not sure how textures work, since I can see only pic, but it seems changing green to brown pretty fast, I don't like it.

Not 100% sure about bottom route, mostly it's helping alpha flagger to escape but that tunnel might be easy camp place for bravo flagger...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 08:06:26 am »
Default requirements say polycount less than 700. It's not that black and white, but we need to set line somewhere and mappers should obey them.

I can't see reason for bg scenery in tunnel.

I'm not sure how textures work, since I can see only pic, but it seems changing green to brown pretty fast, I don't like it.

Not 100% sure about bottom route, mostly it's helping alpha flagger to escape but that tunnel might be easy camp place for bravo flagger...

I will see what I can do to decrease the polycount.

I wanted to distinguish tunnel from jungle in the background. I don´t see any reason to remove the bg.

About texture: maybe it looks different for you in game, till now you only saw it from screen. Please wait for the first public version until judging that.

The tunnel is accessable for both teams, it helps Alpha members to enter Bravo´s base (referring to nade spamming) and leave it, but it´s not the way that it will give Bravo´s flag carrier an advantage that´s that big, no, I think the flag carrier should rather go up then down because of the height advantage. 100% aren´t needed anyway :)

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 09:45:36 am »

If the flag is here, like the original one, that tunnel is pretty useless.

Else, if its here, seem somewhat usefull... but, if you set it there, then youll make the EFCs life rly easy, cuz the fast'n'easy access to medikits

Ima just trying to help cuz i just luv the Nuubia, but i know its Bravo dominance... not rly sure if ima helping btw
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:48:36 am by biohazard »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 10:09:20 am »
At least you don´t confuse me, that´s a good start. I guess I will need to do completly new spawns for bravo then to keep it balanced ...  thanks, you are helping me :)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 05:25:13 am »
I´ve worked a lot more on this remake and experienced that little changes on the spawns of bravo manages the major problems with the new tunnel. You can see what I did on the big big screen below :) The entrances of the tunnel are bigger now, many sharp edges are fixed. I worked on the pitch black blank scenery and reduced the amount of scenery on this map by 48. I also removed a lot of polygons that were only set for better looks and this way I got to this map stats:

Polygons: 751 (before it were 891 polygons in use)
Scenery: 160 (no .PNG scenery, only .BMP)
Objects: 22

I guess I won´t come below 700 polygons so don´t waste your time suggesting to remove more. For now you get a big overview of the changes and the original map and a first download. I had not enough time to do the waypoints but I didn´t delete the old ones so you can play :)

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 06:33:36 am »
I liked as my first impression, but i think Bravo side is supposed to have 2 medikits spawn(one more at Bravo respawn. I liked how you force the map to havent edges. There are strange thing outmap btw...

Here you got a poly nade bug...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:08:06 am by biohazard »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:20 am »
What did you try to tell me with that circle at the top right corner of the first picture? There are no medikits on that bravo spawn you can see on the first picture because I wanted to force the efc not to stay there since he can easily access the flag spawn from that position and to get more use of the tunnel since I moved the spawn downwards. I am not sure about your second suggestion but I will give it a try ;)

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:14 am »
As i saved as gif, you can see well, but theres a strange line or something else there, but here you can see clearly:

About the second ss, i tried an old nade idle boost trick, but the nade just stuck inside the poly, like those on Ash.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:45 am »
If you tell me where you found that "nade-being-stuck-in-polygon" bug I am able to fix it. This strange line is already fixed, I just didn´t see that the blank is set in a wrong position.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 08:00:48 am »
Ran over the map couple mins and it felt hard and buggy. Polyworks tells the truth:

No need for guessing which map got more polybugs. Not the nicest job to fix that at this point :S Just set the polygons doesn't collide and add one normal polygon behind. Use as few polys on playground as you can.

I'm sort of way fan of old nuubia look, it's unique and though it's cheap made, it looks good in game. In remake multitexturing is made with patience and it's good looking (though im not sure about sand matching nuubia theme). This is just small thing but imo it breaks a bit harmony there, fast change from sand to jungle. Also that black edge comes too quickly from edge.

As we all know Nuubia is one of the most popular maps, that's why it shouldn't have crucial gameplay changes, that new tunnel breaks originality of that map, and we can't know consequences of it, so big no for tunnel.

Also that new flag place is only making the play easier for bravo, alpha got even more longer way to steal the flag now. I prefer original placing.

About the rest gameplay changes:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:13:13 am by Suowarrior »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 08:26:46 am »
What did you try to tell me with that circle at the top right corner of the first picture? There are no medikits on that bravo spawn you can see on the first picture because I wanted to force the efc not to stay there since he can easily access the flag spawn from that position and to get more use of the tunnel since I moved the spawn downwards. I am not sure about your second suggestion but I will give it a try ;)
The lost medikits is supposed to help the Alpha INC TOP after the fight, without them to recover HP, the incommer will die like a deer b4 even touch the flag.
p.s.: update the nade bug ss...

Also that new flag place is only making the play easier for bravo, alpha got even more longer way to steal the flag now. I prefer original placing.

I think the same, but its a longer way for Alpha to CAP too. Sincerely, its hard to know how well its balanced or not, without playing some matchs.
In my point of view, the most unbalanced thing about that map, is that ramp protecting Bravo side from spray (NOT SPRAY FEAST) while alpha side is vulnerable to this on upper respawn.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:17 am »
I will have to do some major changes to my version of Nuubiaa and follow your suggestions. Before I remove the tunnels I want to have at least some playtest at some gather server to see how it turned out really.

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:48 pm »
Just no!! leave nuubia

DarkCrusade

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 02:06:47 pm »

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 08:39:49 pm »
Just no!! leave nuubia

Tell me why?

The original one looks better, nuubia does not need any visual remake, it would be the gameplay then, the alpha side does have some advantage. But don't make huge changes
And nuubia is a beauty, it's clean and perfect, in looks

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 10:31:51 pm »
Just no!! leave nuubia

Tell me why?

The original one looks better, nuubia does not need any visual remake, it would be the gameplay then, the alpha side does have some advantage. But don't make huge changes
And nuubia is a beauty, it's clean and perfect, in looks
Well, that is a matter of opinion. Original nuubia looks alright, but to me the remake looks decent too. I have a few concerns about the texture, but it's hard to tell from the preview, so I'll wait til the map is released.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:35:13 pm by L[0ne]R »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 03:28:23 am »
Well, that is a matter of opinion. Original nuubia looks alright, but to me the remake looks decent too. I have a few concerns about the texture, but it's hard to tell from the preview, so I'll wait til the map is released.

That´s my opinion, too, I like the original Nuubia but I think it could be more pretty. What are your concerns about the texture? I already gave you a download link in the post with the big overview so you can see how it looks in game.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 05:25:50 pm »
What are your concerns about the texture? I already gave you a download link in the post with the big overview so you can see how it looks in game.
Sorry, haven't noticed the attachment. :S
Checked out the remake, and so far it's nice, but I'm not liking the texture much. Or rather the grass part - looks kind of messy.
Also, ground looks a lot like sand and doesn't go well with grass.

Maybe you should try a few other textures and perhaps you'll find something better.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 04:20:21 am »
Sorry, haven't noticed the attachment. :S
Checked out the remake, and so far it's nice, but I'm not liking the texture much. Or rather the grass part - looks kind of messy.
Also, ground looks a lot like sand and doesn't go well with grass.

Maybe you should try a few other textures and perhaps you'll find something better.

Do you have any texture in mind that would looks better? I checked my folder already and didn´t find anything that´d suit the theme better. What about layout changes?