Author Topic: Soldat movement tutorial (by Mutilator.NZ)  (Read 51785 times)

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Soldat movement tutorial (by Mutilator.NZ)
« on: December 24, 2009, 10:01:32 pm »
Mutilator.NZ's pool of movement knowledge

This is a guide so that you can learn the tricks that I use to my advantage, not just in climbing or Hide and Seek, but in regular CTF, DM, INF, whatever gamemodes. I think that at least 90% of people that read this guide will take something useful away with them. This guide shares some advanced movement tricks that took me a long time to find, but I will also give a description of jumps such as the backflip, kickjump, reverse backflip and late backflip.

The kickjump
At least I am pretty sure that's what it's called.
You will use this whenever you want to go up a hill fast.
What you want to do is run up the hill, while (mashing) the jump button. I say (mashing) because there is an optimal rhythm, you don't want to tap it too fast, you will have to practice to find the best time to spend with jump depressed and jump undepressed (better word?), but don't go counting, even if you can count tenths of a second, just practice and you should get a feel for it over time. At the top of the hill press and hold jump without a direction.

This is what it should look like:

You can also keep pressing the direction button and press jump to jump to the side.

Of course there are more things to do at the climax of a kickjump, but we'll get to that later.

Basic backflip
The easiest backflip.
Gets a bit more height than regular jump (W), and is also good for jumping to the side and up.

First you want to look in the opposite direction to where you are moving, then while holding a direction button, also press and hold jump (W), and then right click. After right clicking you'll want to let go of jump so you can control your direction.

You can perform a basic backflip at the top of a kickjump for better height and distance.

Reverse backflip
Useful for changing direction in certain situations. See image.

The reverse backflip is similar to the basic backflip.
This time you start facing the same direction you are going, while holding a direction button, press jump, then quickly change the direction button and right click. All this time you must HOLD the jump button, which is key to most backflips as you will learn.

You can also perform this jump at the top of a kickjump, if you want to go straight up.

Late backflip
Can be used to get into narrow tunnels in a vertical wall, although there aren't many maps with this, as it is usually a hassle to move through. I decided to include this jump because you might just find a use for it.

This jump is almost exactly the same as a regular backflip.
While holding a direction button, press and hold jump, but do not right click until you are ready to flip, also make sure you don't release W or the direction button, or it won't work.

You would really only ever use a late backflip at the top of a kickjump in climbing.

Some notes on backflips
You must always start a backflip with the direction and jump button combo.
You must hold jump between the initial jump and right clicking.
When you want to flip you must be holding a directional key, and facing the opposite direction as the directional key, regardless of which way you are actually moving. Click to flip.
This means it doesn't matter which way you are facing until you actually right click.
Also you can change which way you are facing during the flip (when you curl up) for some interesting, but generally useless tricks.

Superman
Superman allows you to get good lateral movement in mid air, it is better than standing and holding a direction key.

Superman is very easy, just lie down and start jetting, if your jets run out in mid air, you want to stand up and hold a direction key, as it is better than letting your jets load and then jetting again.

Superman can be effective after a kickjump, but not if you do a regular jump, or any backflip that I have discussed so far. This means doing a jump to the side and supermanning is the best.

There is more to come on supermanning, but we'll get to that in a bit.

The cannonball
The cannonball is the best single jump that will get you moving fast, quickly. It can also be a pain to learn and master, and also describe. But if you are to learn anything, this would be the best thing to learn. FUN FACT: Some people call the cannonball simply cball, for ease of typing.

To cannonball you first must press a movement button and look in the opposite direction, next you must tap jump and straight after tapping jump, you must right click. Be careful to not overlap the tapping of jump and the click. You should get this:

The cannonball is very good for moving fast over relatively flat areas, by stringing them together.

The cannonball is also very good to use at the climax of a kickjump.

Because the cannonball is very fast and flat, you can superman after a cannonball, and for maximum effect do a kickjump before the cannonball.

A trick that ties it all together
At this point, seasoned players may be feeling smug that they have known everything up to this point, but they may seldom use the superman, because of this:

Most of you may know that if you are lying down and look in the opposite direction to where you are facing you stand up.
If you punch (no weapon), stab (knife), or hold change weapon (anything) while doing this, it leads to something interesting.

This can be used in conjunction with supermanning for impressive results, you can superman to within a pixel of the ground, use this trick and lose no speed at all.

You can cannonball and superman anywhere!*

*requires practice

This is very effective. Using this trick you can catch up to an EFC, or outrun enemies in many situations.

One more little trick
This one isn't as useful, though.

Hold change weapon and prone (X) while supermanning to slide over normal polies as if they were ice.
It can be useful, for example if you are supermanning and about to hit the corner of a building, rather than standing up, just slide over it, easy!

Or you can slide into the flag to cap, because it looks cool

Rolling
Rolling can be used to change direction, similar to the reverse backflip, however, rolling will allow you to change direction and move down, where reverse backflip would change direction and move up.

If you are in the air, you want to be moving so you will hit about a gostek width before the edge, just before you hit switch direction keys and then once you hit the edge, tap crouch. The direction you face isn't important, as long as you stay facing one way through the whole thing, if you change the way you face during the roll, it will make you be pushed away from the edge.

You can still do the roll in confined areas where it isn't best to be in the air.

If you do a regular forward roll as you hit the corner of a polygon, you can be polybugged (launched). This doesn't happen all the time, but even if it doesn't bug, there isn't much risk of you slowing to a halt, so I nearly always roll as I go over points.

Ice sliding
This is a very simple trick, simply lay down on ice and move. For some reason you move very fast when laying down on ice.

Practicing
The bread and butter jumps (kickjump, backflips)
The best way to learn these jumps would be with some specially made climb maps. They have simple jumps which will let you apply what you learn, and also have descriptions of what to do right next to the jumps.

ctf_jumptut : slide jump, kick jump, backflip, ice jump, poly-bounce

ctf_learntheflip : back-flip, late backflip, reverse backflip, cannon ball

kz_ClimbTut : slide jump, ice jump, kick jump, backflip
Link is not working, I don't have the map anymore, pm me if you have it so I can fix it.

If you want to practice actually moving fast and fluid, I would definitely recommend you play Hide 'n Seek - just make sure you run.

What you learn from this guide can be applied to nearly any game of soldat, movement, in my opinion, can take you up a level with your skill, and I also believe it is part of what makes soldat soldat.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly apprecieated.

~Mutilator.NZ, thanks to bistoufly
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:52:23 am by chutem »
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: Mutilator.NZ's guide to movement
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:51:10 pm »
Nice job, very detailed and helpful. Sticky somewhere imo.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:33:22 pm »
Nice tutorial. Dont blame me by add some thoughts.

"Hold change weapon and prone (X) while supermanning to slide over normal polies as if they were ice." Some1 find a name to this move please?
That is the most secret movement ever. When i noticed that strange movement, i practiced lot offline to make it usefull. Most newbies(and "pros") dont know how important it is.

-You can slide polies when speeding faster, as your exemple to cap the flag, get medikits, confuse ppl, or just to pwn with a Saw.

-You can bug your prone to fall faster, using this trick, but instead of holding the keys, just press righ after unprone.

-You can bug at poly edges very well, like this:

You should use "this" here, to keep withen the speed. (or jsut keep pressing the right button lol)

"To cannonball you first must press a movement button and look in the opposite direction, next you must tap jump and straight after tapping jump, you must right click. Be careful to not overlap the tapping of jump and the click."
I just figured that if you press crouch, is much easier and effective to do a cannon ball. With that, you can do a higher, mid and lower cannon ball, depending how long you hold it.

I think that exemple you should do a lower cannon ball, named as fake cannon ball by some, and true cannon ball by others lol

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 12:06:23 am by biohazard »

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
Whoa, I never knew, or have seen, the sliding trick. Pretty cool. I've noticed that you can actually move a bit faster than hopping by doing backflips in such a way that you go horizontally. I can't always get this to work and usually get killed because my guy isn't centered on the screen and can't see anyone. But it's interesting. Anyone else notice this?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:56 pm »
O_O Funny how after 5 years of almost constant playing I never noticed that odd slide trick. I'll have to try it some time.

Excellent tutorial btw. I'll have to sticky it somewhere.
There are other worlds than these

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:07:51 am »
Nice that you did that tutorial, unfortunatly I know everything this guide includes.

BTW:
If you press Q while proning and you jet you can, as mentioned by you, slide over normal polygons. What you may not know is that you can hold X, too, and you slide as long as you have jets. In addition you seem to warp what is really distracting for other people. Use it to get voted ;)

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:31:51 am »
@DarkCrusade

To the other player you rly seems to warping, i noticed it on demos. Btw, even if you know the trick, you got astonishing hard work to aim ppl, cuz its the mostly faster-bug(dont hold) moviment in the whole game, even if it for that short distance.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:35:24 am »
Thank you Mutilator & biohazard!

The ground slide trick is totally new to me and I've been playing soldat for what... +8 years now? lol I'm so old. xD

I'm pretty good at general movement, but cannonball has been a b***h to execute and I've forgotten about the change weapon cancel for keeping momentum after hitting a surface.

I'm going to go practice some of these moves offline and then put them to a test by playing some games with only the saw and nades with occasional barret as a sub weapon instead of main.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention this guide is PERFECT and very well done, especially with the gifs that show whats going on exactly. Big thanks for the effort man!

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 06:56:26 am »
XD this is good advice i think i can now win lots of rounds in dm,, thx!

90% my ass

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:46:53 am »
I knew about the slide trick, used it for years and never told anybody how to do it. That slide trick is also better and helps you get faster if you want to do the superman in mid air.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Acid Jester

• Major(1)
  • Flames Fan 4ever!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 04:10:05 pm »
Great guide! Even though I know most of these techniques, I still gleaned some Info.

Please sticky!!

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 09:21:45 pm »
Great thread. I'll try to use this tricks in CTF mode.
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 11:57:59 pm »
you should post this on www.asctfl.net since that's where the aussie's and new zealand peeps are at.
be warned you might be flammed for helping noobs.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »
Fixed up those images. Took me like 5 tries to get them uploaded. Goddamn.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, sticky? whoah  8) .

@ Biohazard:
Any other input would be great, feel free.
-You can bug your prone to fall faster, using this trick, but instead of holding the keys, just press righ after unprone.
I have done this before, but I cant remember how. which keys?

I'll have to try your bridge bug to find out what "this" is, cause I'm not really getting it from just reading/looking.

I've never used crouch in my cannonballs. Ever. Would you mind going into a bit more detail?
I do know, however, how to do two heights of cannonballs, but the higher one is slow and I only ever use it in climbing in like two jumps out of all the maps I ever played.

@RafiPZ
The faster your guy is moving, the more off center he gets, is this what you mean?

@Boots
Maybe.

@Enesce, jrgp, Dark, Numgun, Dusty, Acid, Prodigy
Thanks!

I was thinking next to add some stuff on rolling and using polybugs, not so sure about whether I should add stuff on polybugs though.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 05:56:06 pm »
this is great! i seriously had absolutely no idea how to do the last trick, better start practicing then aye.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 06:01:03 pm »
Greetings

Very nice guide. I always hoped for such a thing to be created. :)

Do you plan to continue updating your first post as time goes by?
This could become the ultimate guide to movement for soldat.

If so I would be glad to help you in this job.
But I don't know how to record soldat and put it in gif's like you did.
Care to explain?

Btw in case you want to contact me, my XFire user name is: bistouf7y

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:13:47 pm by Bistoufly »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 06:06:26 pm »
I have done this before, but I cant remember how. which keys?
Mostly change prone, unprone and change weapon, but you need to know the exactly timming, just change weapon right before you unprone. It works if you are reloading too, but seem like a bug for some (hope enesce don't fix it). Actually, nowadays i stopped using bunny hopping in big maps, like volly, too slow lol.

I'll have to try your bridge bug to find out what "this" is, cause I'm not really getting it from just reading/looking.
"This" is the poly slide movement. Do it there when supermanning, and you'll warp poly bug to lower route. Just a exemple how easy is to warp in poly edges, there are some.
The slide movement do be done in another way too, if you hit the ground and press prone+jet, but you must wait to press the jet right when you hit the ground, if you press before it doesnt work.

I've never used crouch in my cannonballs. Ever. Would you mind going into a bit more detail?
When you press jet, press crouch. I prefer that way, cuz its faster, the lil time needed for the "default" cannonball take so long(some miliseconds lol). Btw, i use the non-crouch cannonball when i am FC, else you will drop it.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 06:17:15 pm »
XD this is good advice i think i can now win lots of rounds in dm,, thx!

90% my ass
dusty ;O, proper movements is very useful, even tho it mostly consists of proper bunny jump, cannon ball, prone gliding sharp turns, polybug and boosting. look at me, even polaks says I warp ;o
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:26:54 pm by -Major- »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »
Actually, nowadays i stopped using bunny hopping in big maps, like volly, too slow lol.
Demo of you going fast plzzzz

When you press jet, press crouch. I prefer that way, cuz its faster, the lil time needed for the "default" cannonball take so long(some miliseconds lol). Btw, i use the non-crouch cannonball when i am FC, else you will drop it.

You don't gain any speed if you crouch instead of jumping.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »
Very nice tut. Discovered a few new things for myself too (first time I hear about weapon-switch-slide). Looks like a bug though.. :S
Would be very useful for newbies.. if they visited the forums. <_<

Kickjump - I believe that is just the first pic. It's when you let go of left/right key and jump.
The 2nd one is called bunny hopping (when you keep running and jumping at the same time).
-----------

Btw, which program(s) did you use to make those gifs?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:40:40 pm by L[0ne]R »