Author Topic: Trouble-Shooting Internet Speeds [comparisons]  (Read 873 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Trouble-Shooting Internet Speeds [comparisons]
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:39:16 pm »
Alright. To start this one off:

Got my slow internet upgraded from 256kbps to 1.5kbps. Any increase in speed, and I am happy. Fantastic and boring huh?

Well, my Qwest internet never really ran at 256kb. It ran at 225kb. I was always ok and content with that. I gave Qwest the benefit-of-the-doubt. But now, I should supposedly be running at 1.5kbps. Oh no, not to be mistaken! I am only running at 594kbps. (I've run multiple tests... yes, I claim to be pooter-savvy)

My questions to you folks...
1.  Is this common? Is anyone else with the "1.5mpbs Qwest High Speed Internet" getting 1/3 their advertised speed?
2.  Could it be simply the "area that I live in"?

Yes, I will call tech support etc... but before I do, hell, this problem could be common-place for people, and if it is, I guess we're being gyped. But you know, why should I complain... it's almost the same price as the 225kbps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:43:04 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: Trouble-Shooting Internet Speeds [comparisons]
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »
I've never gotten 100% of the advertised speed with verizon but 1/3 would indicate a problem.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:53:42 pm »
Toss them a massive BF, if they don't do anything go higher and toss an ever bigger BF.
@ii

Offline Flo`

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:34 pm »
Hah, Qwest. We were their customer for 4+ years with them promising us a speed upgrade every year but it never coming. Yeah, we also had 256Kbps and it was the slowest s**t I had ever experienced. Hence, we saw an ad for Mediacom and switched, costing us the same/month and a 80x speed upgrade.

As for your problem, I have had several problems with Qwest modems in the past. After a year or so, they really start to degrade and you start to only get a small percentage of your promised speed. Even more so in the winter, even with a pristine modem, their speeds are never to the max.

(Seriously, they made us pay like 30 dollars a month for a 256kbps connection.)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 07:53:56 pm »
As for your problem, I have had several problems with Qwest modems in the past. (1)After a year or so, they really start to degrade and you start to only get a small percentage of your promised speed. Even more so in the winter, even with a pristine modem, their speeds are never to the max.

(2)(Seriously, they made us pay like 30 dollars a month for a 256kbps connection.)

(1) And we've had our modem for ~6 years. Still works... fine enough though.
(2) Yup, that's what we were/are paying.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:14:33 pm »
By Kbps do you mean kilobytes or kilobits?

Why does anyone use bits anyways?

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:45:38 pm »
Because that is the common phrase. I suppose if you want it in other terms, it would be nice if my average internet download speed was 150kbs.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 04:30:37 am »
Why does anyone use bits anyways?

I always thought transfer speed was measured in bits because data travels in bit streams (as opposed to files, whose atomic unit is the byte).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:32:10 am by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 07:10:41 am »
Modems? Kilobits?

Where do you people live, the 90's?!