Author Topic: Lagrange  (Read 12373 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
Lagrange
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »
Original

Offline numgun

• Veteran
Re: Lagrange
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:30:06 pm »
This one could use some improvement. A cosmetic overhaul and perhaps some more trenches and 2 floor bunkers/houses or some tiny caves to give some level to this map. And especially get rid of the bush scenery on the left most side.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
This map is kind of straight-forward and boring. The middle part is spray heaven.
I agree pretty much with everything numgun mentioned.

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:40 pm »
This one could use some improvement. A cosmetic overhaul and perhaps some more trenches and 2 floor bunkers/houses or some tiny caves to give some level to this map. And especially get rid of the bush scenery on the left most side.

This map couldn't just use some improvments, it has nothing except that it's probably the only default map without jet..

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »
I remember long ago (1.2-1.3 maybe) there was a no-jet map similar to this one, but in the middle there was a hill. You could move between left and right side of the map either by climbing a hill, or moving through the tunnels under that hill.
Unfortunately I don't remember what it was called, but as far  as I remember it was rather good. Maybe it should be put back?

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »
This map was everything soldat was in the very beginning, a run-and-gun game that was very resource-friendly on old computers.

So instead of just tossing the map away, take into account numgun's suggestion and fix this map's looks. The layout also do need some tweaking, but never one that needs poly-islands floating above the land or something.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:50:54 am »
Where's VirtualTT to remake this map?
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »

He´s just taking a nap I guess, soon back to follow your orders ...

Very good suggestions indeed. When playing this map I never recognized how ugly this map actually is.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:49:59 pm »
When playing this map I never recognized how ugly this map actually is.

... This is exactly why good old maps should be left untouched.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:03:24 pm »
When playing this map I never recognized how ugly this map actually is.

... This is exactly why good old maps should be left untouched.

You got the point there, old maps are ugly, mostly bad made, and some oldest are like virgins waiting for the very first touch, but we got used to it and we make them become hellafunning to play.
When we see that guy campering, we remember ourselves, sometimes we do a smile remembering old glory days, remembering how innocent we were.
I think Lagrande is supposed to fit in that layout, ofc sometimes remakes come in good time, but please, do not destroy this map.

You rly got the point there. VirtualTT is great mapper, he can rmk any ugly map in a piece of art, but with those new specifications for low-end comps... well... its hard to think much about art.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:09:44 pm by biohazard »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 03:40:54 pm »
You rly got the point there. VirtualTT is great mapper, he can rmk any ugly map in a piece of art, but with those new specifications for low-end comps... well... its hard to think much about art.
He's a good TW mapper, on this map we need this type of work, maybe...
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »
VTT is used to .PNG scenery which he all creates himself. This won´t turn out good for low-end computers.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:30:24 pm »
I'm thinking the ceiling should be made "only players collide" for the sake of the LAW, as well as the removal of the bush scenery on the left-most side of the map. The bonuses don't look very balanced - they're all cramped on the right side of the map.

I don't think this map is that ugly until you look at the whole map in polyworks or the minimap, but can be better.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:33:58 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:33:48 pm »
it's an original. doesn't need changing. I remember the days when I first started, running at bots with a saw..
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:37 pm »
No caves, no polyislands. Just look update, with some clearer polygon placing.

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:34:34 pm »

This map couldn't just use some improvments, it has nothing except that it's probably the only default map without jet..

And that alone is the whole point of the map and what gives it the unique gameplay.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »
With the new beta came new discussion. The brazilian players are more devoted to TM, and this map is just screaming for a visual update (and all the trenches should be debugged lol). I know that there are awesome TW mapmakers here in the forums. They'll just need to restrain the .png scenerys.

So, anyone wants to remake this?
keep this in mind:
No caves, no polyislands. Just look update, with some clearer polygon placing.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »
THIS is one of the maps I played most in the very beginning. Don't know why but it had that "something" I loved very much in Soldat. Please do not change the layout, or at least don't do any major changes in it. As for scenery/shading, sure, don't see a problem with that, but again, not too much, don't make it eyecandy, balance it out between retro look and a better one.
Text goes here...

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28:55 am »
Do the necessary changes, but call it Lagrange2

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 11:12:05 am »
If it goes oficial, it will be back to Lagrange (see dropdown2, death2, etc), and the layout will not be changed
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade