Author Topic: Grenades through thin walls.  (Read 8626 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Re: Grenades through thin walls.
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:38 am »
it isn't hardwork.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »
Anyway, Centurion, if you haven't noticed yet, there are loads of topics about default maps. Most of them are being reworked.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »
Heck, if you people really feel that much of a need to fix it, at least do it the easy way, make the nade spawn right at the beginning of the throwing animation, not at the end.
b&

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »
Heck, if you people really feel that much of a need to fix it, at least do it the easy way, make the nade spawn right at the beginning of the throwing animation, not at the end.
the nade doesn't collide for the first half second or so (you can throw a nade on the ground and run over it). and you can't animation mod your soldat, it has to be done with the original one, and if you do that, it's easier to just change the code.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2010, 04:11:27 pm »
(you can throw a nade on the ground and run over it)
You realize this means it is colliding with the ground, right? It doesn't collide with whoever threw the nade for the first half second or so. This isn't what causes nade-through-thin-walls.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:50:07 pm by chutem »
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2010, 04:14:34 pm »
(you can throw a nade on the ground and run over it)
You release this means it is colliding with the ground, right? It doesn't collide with whoever threw the nade for the first half second or so. This isn't what causes nade-through-thin-walls.
hmm well, I guess that's just player colide, however, it's not a big deal if it spawns at the player location or further away, it must be changed by the coder.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
  • I'm trigger happy, trigger happy!
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010, 05:14:07 pm »
Not to say your wrong because you obviously know more about it then i do. But in my experience it depends on how long it takes the grenade to contact the "thin wall". If you throw it from close to the wall it goes through. If you stand back it does not. Oo there is something there... I dont know. The map i am specificly talking about is one from the Resident Evil mod. The walls are made in such a way on purpose i think. Sorry if i am way off base here. Just my thoughts....
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 05:49:33 pm »
Here's my theory:

refer to attached

Point 1 is where the release point of the nade is.

Point 2 is where the nade ends up due to its velocity, position would be calculated before collision is detected, otherwise it wouldn't be able to bug through such thick walls.

The collision detection checks for which edge the nade is closest to, which in the case of thin enough walls, is opposite to where the player is, and the collision system remedies the fact that the nade is inside the poly by moving it out to the closest edge, which happens to be the wrong edge.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 07:21:32 pm »
That's what I thought too, but then shouldn't same principles apply for bullets? Comparing to bullets, nades are relatively slow and yet bullets don't go through walls, but nades do.

Although with bullets it seems that Point 1 and 2 are somewhere near the center of the player, which explains why you can't shoot if you're inside a collider.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 08:31:26 pm »
I dont know if i would want to take that out. Certain maps are made more fun by the fact that you can hide behind the wall and throw grenades out but not get shot or shoot out. Is it something that would be changed as far as the code is concerned or is it something to be changed on the map?
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:12 pm »
Throw a nade through one wall is unfair? What about two walls?

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:39 pm »
Bullets seem to have better collision detection than nades, e.g. a raycast between where the bullet is and where it is going to be to make sure that it doesn't pass through any polies.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »
Throw a nade through one wall is unfair? What about two walls?

I know that map... I did not know that was possible. Thanks for the info. Lol.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2010, 11:13:12 pm »
Throw a nade through two walls is unfair? What about a nade bug that richocets lots which can kill an INC or a camping EFC easly...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:52:51 pm by biohazard »

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2010, 12:00:00 am »
No, it's not allowed. Even if you can make your grenade through 123891273837904 polygons, it's still not allowed.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2010, 01:19:53 am »
Its allowed cuz its a in game feature, Soldat got no bugs, all shits inside the game is a feature. I think that way cuz lots of shits has been reported on mantis and never fixed.
Now, if some league or ppl think its unfair, okay, its their way to play. Personality i play dont use-abusing those "features", but thats my way.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2010, 09:51:22 am »
The game is somehow broken.

It's basically same with a car:

You'll buy a damn nice car and you'll find out that there's a hole in one of the tires. OH WAIT!!!!1 It's a tire feature @_@ It can be like that! I have no need to fix it and I can continue driving with a broken tire.

/facepalm

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:45 am »
Nop, its something like this:

U got a 8 year old game, which nice ppl tried to help reporting bug which some has been fixed and some not, so there is no bugs at all. All funny shits like multi knives, lawproneair, warp and other gamebreak stuff has been fixed... now prolly crouch will be fixed on 151, so its not a featured anymore. Soldat got no bugs at all, what it got is feature which ppl accept or not, some featured are removed in fix versions to make the game more boring, just that.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2010, 12:00:31 pm »
The game is somehow broken.

It's basically same with a car:

You'll buy a damn nice car and you'll find out that there's a hole in one of the tires. OH WAIT!!!!1 It's a tire feature @_@ It can be like that! I have no need to fix it and I can continue driving with a broken tire.

/facepalm

/Headwall
b&

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 12:24:30 pm »