Author Topic: How to reduce polygon count in ctf_Nuubiaa  (Read 2473 times)

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
How to reduce polygon count in ctf_Nuubiaa
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:29 am »
This was made to Darkcrusade, to his ctf_Nuubia remake, ctf_Nuubiaa

His map is multitextured, but the structure is quite limited.

Reduce type 1: straight lines
When you have straight lines, with almost the same color, you can cut them off

First of all, make sure you have the right texture streching. Your texture is vertical, so we fix Y and make the texture fix itself in the X.

Now we find a nice place with straight lines. Remember, if you want to lower polycount the ones that you should care are only those in the borders, where they affect gameplay.

Select them, and cut them off. Wheeeeee we gained some polys.

Join them back. If you want you can join them in the middle, but I don't care right now :p

Now disable the texture in the "Display" window. It's not all flowers... the coloring is not right.

Fix the color, should be quite eazy.

The result is almost the same. With some tweaks it can be more accurate than my version...
There's another advantage that's less polybugs.

Reduce type 2: overlapping
In this map the overlapping was made mostly with an extra poly. There's another way to make it, just moving the polys.

Just take an overlapping poly and delete it. Wheeeeeeee one less.

Now move one side of the polys inside the others, taking care to make the border in the same spot.

Make the same thing with the rest of the polys, watch the spot!

Disable the texture. That is sad... seems horrible.

Select one side of the polys and press "home" so they will be in front of the others.

Now is the trick. Using the colour picker, hold "SHIFT", and a square will appear. It takes the colour of the PIXEL you are, not the color of the scenery, or poly, or anything, just the pixel. Take the color of the pixel NEAR the vertex of the polys that are in front of the others, but make sure you take the colour of the back ones.

Paint the polys that are in the front with that color. It's done, you can be proud of it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:00:38 am by As de Espada »
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

DarkCrusade

Re: How to reduce polygon count in ctf_Nuubiaa
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:49 am »
Wow, thanks As De Espada, really nice tutorial. Should be stickied.