Author Topic: Baka Admin + SolTV v0.8.8 ~ A comfortable admin client.  (Read 79012 times)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Baka Admin + SolTV v0.7.1 ~ A comfortable admin client.
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2010, 06:48:51 am »
But i've got another idea: how about SolTV capable of recording demos? Will such a functionality be used?

Only if it outputs directly to avi/mpg/wmv. (instead of being all insane and spitting out OVER 9000 bmp's)
There are other worlds than these

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:52 am »
Actually i was thinking about output to SolTV-special format, with capability to play it later (with proper playback, not like in soldat). I'm not planning to implement any kind of video recording. Not even image sequence output, though i can't agree about it - it's a simple and reliable method to record and edit stuff, especially for rotoscoping.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:28:37 am by VirtualTT »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2010, 07:53:30 am »
@Demo recording: Indeed, this is a cool idea.

Some feedback for SolTV:

-I really like it, but I don't like how I am not able to see the whole map and the textbox at one time. Transparency (for the text) and/or a zoom function (for the map) would be a nice feature.
-Maybe add an option to disable messages written to the console by WriteLn() so you actually get to read what one writes.

In general:

-Text highlighting (just a little reminder)
-Admin script implemention?

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2010, 08:26:29 am »
-I really like it, but I don't like how I am not able to see the whole map and the textbox at one time. Transparency (for the text) and/or a zoom function (for the map) would be a nice feature.
Press F1 to get list of SolTV controls.

-Maybe add an option to disable messages written to the console by WriteLn() so you actually get to read what one writes.
There is no way to determine whether something was written using WriteLn(), however filtering of messages was already requested.

-Text highlighting (just a little reminder)
"was already requested"

-Admin script implemention?
This won't be implemented. Scripting ARSSE is using is mostly aimed on server enchantment, rather than directly adding admin client functionality. And therefore it duplicates server scripting functionality and that isn't a good thing, not speaking about situations when two admin clients connected to the same server were performing opposite actions cause of the scripts...

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2010, 09:08:21 am »
(14:56:09) (xmRipper) VTT, I don't want to see some specific lines in baka admin console. disabling them with wildcard support would be great.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2010, 11:21:02 am »
Oh I was thinking "MMB" mean "press middle mouse button" not "drag middle mouse button" when I did it. It makes more sense to drag, but some reason it didn't click (in my head) for me when I first tried it. You may want to explicitly say that (or support clicking the MMB to change as well). Sorry for miss-reporting.

(14:56:09) (xmRipper) VTT, I don't want to see some specific lines in baka admin console. disabling them with wildcard support would be great.
Agreed. Or at least hide them.

Is there log files? I seem to not be able to find them (but I didn't look very hard either) nor a configuration thing in the client for it.

Feature suggestion: somehow viewing a team's total kills and deaths (and average k/d ratio).

Bug(ish): The pause button does not become an unpause button right away. Same the other way around. Guessing it waits for the next refresh packet to change it.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »
Oh I was thinking "MMB" mean "press middle mouse button" not "drag middle mouse button" when I did it. It makes more sense to drag, but some reason it didn't click (in my head) for me when I first tried it. You may want to explicitly say that (or support clicking the MMB to change as well). Sorry for miss-reporting.
Actually it says "MMB - free cam & pan", i can hardly imagine panning without dragging mouse. Part about panning/zooming seemed pretty obvious to me since it works just like in PW (or in AUTO CAD). Never tought that it can cause so much confusion...

Is there log files? I seem to not be able to find them (but I didn't look very hard either) nor a configuration thing in the client for it.
There is no log files. And they probably won't be implemented. Server can generate detailed logs - why duplicate it's functionality?

Feature suggestion: somehow viewing a team's total kills and deaths (and average k/d ratio).

I'm going to add K/D ratio i the next release. However in the XP version this won't be supported directly since it failes for some reason to work with groups.

Bug(ish): The pause button does not become an unpause button right away. Same the other way around. Guessing it waits for the next refresh packet to change it.
I consider this as correct behavior. This button works as display for paused/unpaused state and sends a command to switch server into opposite state. And since there is no way to determine whether state has really changed until next refresh packet arrives button shouldn't switch state right after pressing it. Also this helps to avoid double state changing.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2010, 12:37:17 am »
ah yes, I remeber I suggested it to be possible to have the server save demos. but having soltv save them would be great...
just sad that pretty much all servers run on unix :/, and since soltv requiers directX it wouldn't be possible to add it to servers.
unless you would make the demo saving into the baka admin, and not soltv.

edit: o nvm, seems it doesn't support unix ^^
edit2: seems saving demos is already supported. but only with the dedicated server that comes with soldat.

also, make those quick config templates to change maximum nades, bullet-time off
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:33:42 am by -Major- »

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2010, 05:09:46 am »
also, make those quick config templates to change maximum nades, bullet-time off
That's not possible since there is no commands to adjust this settings. You can only change them in INI and reload it.

Offline VinceBros

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2010, 11:02:53 am »
Hey, I've encountered a lil' issue, i've tried running SolTV (I've edited the .ini file) and whenever i try to run it on Baka, nothing happens, not even an error message ?

(I am using Windows 7, so that should work, maybe an error from me)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:12 am »
just sad that pretty much all servers run on unix :/, and since soltv requiers directX it wouldn't be possible to add it to servers.

.. What are you talking about?

1) Unix != Linux
2) The fact that SolTV uses DirectX (instead of OpenGL, which works on Linux) is totally irrelevant to what operating system the server is running since SolTV's just parsing the REFRESHX packets which the server generates, not actually running on said server.
3) Yes, it does work fine connecting and displaying SolTV on Linux servers...

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »
VinceBros
Does SolTV process become visible in Task Manager? Have you installed DirectX9?

SolTV's just parsing the REFRESHX packets which the server generates,
To be correct it is BA that is parcing REFRESHX packets from server and SolTV simply displays data sent by BA.

Offline VinceBros

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2010, 12:55:31 pm »
Oh,as strange as it is, i thought DirectX already was originally implemented in your computer.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2010, 01:39:31 pm »
Few words about DirectX:
Since Microsoft introduced DirectX 10 they have changed among other things distribution policy. From Vista DirectX runtimes are provided as part of the system and are not redistributed. Therefore they are receiving updates along with other system updates (actually they've stopped that dickness with new version every several months). It is true that DirectX 10 and 11 include DirectX9 components. However this DirectX9 components are from the time system was manufactured and they aren't being updated automatically to keep up to date with latest DirectX9 releases. Since it's a best practice to use the latest software, SolTV is using fresh DirectX9c released on June 2010. So Vista/7 users need to manually update their DirectX to make SolTV work.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2010, 02:09:18 pm »

.. What are you talking about?

1) Unix != Linux
2) The fact that SolTV uses DirectX (instead of OpenGL, which works on Linux) is totally irrelevant to what operating system the server is running since SolTV's just parsing the REFRESHX packets which the server generates, not actually running on said server.
3) Yes, it does work fine connecting and displaying SolTV on Linux servers...

Linux is based on Unix, making it an unix like OS. there are also mac OS X that could be drawn into the same category.
just using Unix to get more OSes in the same stroke.

2nd one... I have no idea what you're trying to say... but if you're suggesting somebody should host a windows server soly to have soltv active... then I don't know what to say....
as a linux server shouldn't beable to run soltv, neither is there any baka admin version that is designed for linux. since you can't run an XP version of baka admin on win7... then linux shouldn't beable to run a windows version.

3rd, what really? does soltv work on a linux server?

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »
25 years ago you could've said that Windows is also based on Unix, but today Windows is Windows, Unix is Unix and Linux is Linux. SolTV works only on windows, but it absolutely doesn't care where and on what system your Soldat server is running.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:25:32 pm by VirtualTT »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:02 pm »
25 years ago you could've said that Windows is also based on Unix, but today Windows is Windows, Unix is Unix and Linux is Linux. SolTV works only on windows, but it absolutely doesn't care where and on what system your Soldat server is running.

No, 25 years ago Windows was MS-DOS and the only smiliarity it had with Unix at the time was the CLI. Everything else about dos was absolutely nothing like Unix. (file system layout, permissions (lack thereof), software development, etc).

Linux is based on Unix, making it an unix like OS. there are also mac OS X that could be drawn into the same category.
You worded your originally post really fucking weirdly. I had no idea what you were trying to say.

Linux isn't literally based on Unix, it's just a clone of the POSIX specifications with GNU userland. OS X is similar, except instead of being a full rewrite it just borrows heavily from FreeBSD, NeXTSTEP, and some GNU.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 02:52:12 pm »
No, 25 years ago Windows was MS-DOS and the only smiliarity it had with Unix at the time was the CLI. Everything else about dos was absolutely nothing like Unix. (file system layout, permissions (lack thereof), software development, etc).
Considering that "Microsoft entered the OS business in 1980 with its own version of Unix, called Xenix." i can hadly imagine that their concepts behind their later OS's aren't affected by the first experience... So DOS development was probably aimed at getting away from those heavy UNIX features that PC could hardly support at that time. They definitely were looking back on unix...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2010, 03:01:40 pm »
Considering that "Microsoft entered the OS business in 1980 with its own version of Unix, called Xenix." i can hadly imagine that their concepts behind their later OS's aren't affected by the first experience... So DOS development was probably aimed at getting away from those heavy UNIX features that PC could hardly support at that time. They definitely were looking back on unix...

The only similarity Windows has with Xenix is Interix, the POSIX compatibility layer. Nothing else about Windows even remotely resembles Unix, and Interix is very, very rarely seen or used.

DOS was aimed at being easy for people who didn't feel like learning how to use Unix, as it had far less features and wasn't in the least bit intricate. And back then Unix wasn't free, was really really expensive, and only giant businesses could afford licenses.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2010, 03:20:47 pm »
aaanyway... SolTV shouldn't beable to be run on a linux server (if it's gonna be up and running all the time, then you need a server running it), so the demo saving should be in the baka admin client, since that's supposedly able to run under linux?

putting autodemo on soldat gather servers and soldat ladder servers would be quite interessting.