Author Topic: computer problems!  (Read 2147 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
computer problems!
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:13:29 am »
so, my computer starts rebooting all the time... sometimes it just gets completely black and the computer reboots, and sometimes screen freezes and some "rrrr" sound is played.

I suspect it's the hdds that are overheated, but I'm not sure... otherwise I know my windows is quite fucked up.

it just recently started happening, it takes about 10 hours or so untill the first time the reboots (turns it off while I'm sleeping).

I have no idea how I could fix it if it's the hdds that are getting overheated, cuz I even got an extra passive cooling thingy on them Oo.

:DDDD SO! what mostlikely is the problem? ;o

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
Re: computer problems!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:59:02 am »
Don't keep your computer running the whole night. The inventor of computers invented the "Turn off computer" button for a reason.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:23:34 am »
-Major- you disapoint me T_T
Just check If your system overheats, you know cpu,mother board,video card & mother board(BIOS will show you).
Be sure to check the HDD temperature.
You can do it by simply touching it, but do it when the PC reboots for no reason!
And if next time you won't ask me on irc before you ask here, I will make your life horrible >:3
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:29:42 am »
-Major- you disapoint me T_T
Just check If your system overheats, you know cpu,mother board,video card & mother board(BIOS will show you).
Be sure to check the HDD temperature.
You can do it by simply touching it, but do it when the PC reboots for no reason!
And if next time you won't ask me on irc before you ask here, I will make your life horrible >:3
those temperatures ussualy doesn't work... and I've tried touching the parts, it's only the hdds that are warm, but they aren't too warm, my http://www.edstromsel.se/assets/images/element.jpg is almost warmer..

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:34:57 am »
That's hot :3 . Fix all bad sectors & defrag...
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline ScHaLL

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:59:33 pm »
Don't keep your computer running the whole night. The inventor of computers invented the "Turn off computer" button for a reason.

This.

Other than that, defrag helped me out on a similar problem once.

Offline Skyancez3o4

• Major
  • Halo IS a Great game, too bad it's almost over now
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:34:02 am »
This rebooting problem isnt really caused by overheating the computer, sometimes it's caused by viruses, sometimes it's caused by cutting off the power by pulling cord or pressing off at the back of the computer or the power button on those multi-plug things.
Kill! KILL! WHO'S THIRSTY? THERE'S ALWAYS BLOOD AROUND HERE!! XD

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:07:43 am »
it just recently started happening, it takes about 10 hours or so untill the first time the reboots (turns it off while I'm sleeping).
I think this answers:
also, no, computers are supposed to run for long times. atleast when I lived at the dorm I ussualy had it on for weeks without any problems (only rebooted if I had to).

This rebooting problem isnt really caused by overheating the computer, sometimes it's caused by viruses, sometimes it's caused by cutting off the power by pulling cord or pressing off at the back of the computer or the power button on those multi-plug things.
I think I would notice if that was the cause.

however, I'm quite sure I'm missing some windowsfiles, so it might not be completely off to guess that. but if it was a windows crash, I think it would just freeze and not reboot itself.

Offline Mexer

• Soldier
  • real eyes. realize. real lies.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 11:30:23 am »
I once had the same problem as you and I noticed that my pc power supply had some problems. I opened it up and fixed the problem (with the help of my dad) (if this is the cause of your problem, call an expert).
Soldat devs and community: We want this game to be successful and have new players and make it popular!

Soldat devs and community: But we want the oldskool graphics and bugs and errors to be left alone! Soldat shall never change!!!

Offline Skyancez3o4

• Major
  • Halo IS a Great game, too bad it's almost over now
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 01:00:48 am »
Try restoring your PC with the backup CDs you burned when you first got your PC. and quote Mexer: Call an expert
Kill! KILL! WHO'S THIRSTY? THERE'S ALWAYS BLOOD AROUND HERE!! XD

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:01:43 am »
problem is already solved, it was the hdds that got overheaten, I just removed one from the passive cooler (since I got it was overloaded), and put it for itself.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:25:28 am »
also, no, computers are supposed to run for long times. atleast when I lived at the dorm I ussualy had it on for weeks without any problems (only rebooted if I had to).

It shortens the life-span of your computer. My computer is 5 years old (duh, piece of s**t) but it hasn't had any problems. Buy your computer had dead cooler. I wonder what caused that?
Anything that works wears down - everything, including computer parts.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53:17 am »

It shortens the life-span of your computer. My computer is 5 years old (duh, piece of s**t) but it hasn't had any problems. Buy your computer had dead cooler. I wonder what caused that?
a passive cooler can't be dead.

if you don't know what a passive cooler is: http://www.rbmods.com/Bilder/Articles/Ultra/Harddrive_cooler/pic5.jpg

also, lots of things decreases things life span, like loading old phones before their battery is completely dead.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:54:54 am by -Major- »

Offline D4NG3R NL

• Soldier
  • You got Rickroll'd
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 08:19:31 am »

a passive cooler can't be dead.

if you don't know what a passive cooler is: http://www.rbmods.com/Bilder/Articles/Ultra/Harddrive_cooler/pic5.jpg

also, lots of things decreases things life span, like loading old phones before their battery is completely dead.

Even a passively cooled PC needs at least 1 fan to blow out the hot air...
                  Forum Rules   -   Search

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:10:44 am »
Those fans will outlive you no matter how long you keep them running.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Fireman

• Major
  • D:
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:12 pm »

Since when can you fix broken sectors in a HD ( unless you want to take it apart.., if that's what you're saying )

Get HDTune, the free one or the trial.

and this http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/

Oh and you fixed it? By doing what I don't understand what the hell you are saying D:

"also, no, computers are supposed to run for long times. atleast when I lived at the dorm I ussualy had it on for weeks without any problems"

Desktops...you could say, if it's in a hot as fk environment without any AC then you shouldn't..if it's nice and cool then perhaps you could

It's usually laptops that shouldn't be on for a long time.

Also Danger is right, but usually you need one intake and one exhaust fan. ( excluding the PSU fan )

Offline D4NG3R NL

• Soldier
  • You got Rickroll'd
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:17 am »
Also Danger is right, but usually you need one intake and one exhaust fan. ( excluding the PSU fan )

I got an small formfactor PC at our TV for Blu-ray movies ect. That thing has 2 fans, the PSU fan which sucks out warm air, and a front intake fan which sucks in cool air. The thing never shows temps higher than 60c, and is pretty quiet  8) .
                  Forum Rules   -   Search