Author Topic: Back to Stone Age  (Read 1087 times)

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
Back to Stone Age
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:49:17 pm »
Many of you may not know, but North Eastern part of U.S.A. (NJ in specific), got raped by storm and damaged badly. I was not able to use electricity for four days, and now I have recovered back from the damage.

I just noticed that life without heat and electricity wasn't THAT horrible. You actually get to plan out what you have to do and take action for it, because there are no lights at night. I actually feel that having these four days actually taught/enlighten me a lot of stuff. I have found life (why does this sound funny).

I was just wondering... Did you guys have any experience of these lack of technology/resource rather helping you than damaging you?
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
Re: Back to Stone Age
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »
I remember a couple of years ago when there was this huge ass black out in Canada and the North Eastern US.

I was camping though. However when we were returning home, pretty much every gas station was closed down so we had a little fuel crisis.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:00:18 pm »
My old boss called me this morning saying that his house in Margate was blown apart and he needed my help cleaning. I told him I couldn't help because I was busy cleaning up my own yard ;_;

Back in early February we lost power here for about 8 hours. I loved it. Got some reading done, lit some candles/glowsticks, and chilled listening to the snow howl against the side of the house.

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:33:32 pm »
In the summer I'm usually very mobile, so it's not a big deal for me to hop to another city when something like this happens.  In Oslo this summer my dormitory lost power after a transformer blew up, so I went and partied in Kristiansand.  At home in the States, the house frequently lost power in the summer from everyone overloading the lines with their air-cons.  After a few years of that, we bought a diesel generator.  Now there's parties at my house when the power's out!  (for 36 hours anyway...)

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:35:41 pm »
i would love it if there was no technologie for a week or so.
i would set so much shit on fire and skate every day instead of watching television / lurking the internets..

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 04:39:15 pm »
this one time my power was out for like, four hours!
i freaked out

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 05:03:53 pm »
I've had my time as a wilderness backpacker/homeless bum, so I'm fairly used to the fact that life goes on without power. You may enjoy the world's natural cycle a bit more and work harder for the things you want, you find less distraction on the internet and television, but little else changes.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »
We used to have powercuts all the time when I lived in India, and they would often last for many hours. I remember thinking it was scary at first, but as I got used to it, I actually started liking them more. It was an excellent way to just sit back, chill and have a good time with the family.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »
We used to have powercuts all the time when I lived in India, and they would often last for many hours. I remember thinking it was scary at first, but as I got used to it, I actually started liking them more. It was an excellent way to just sit back, chill and have a good time with the family.
O.o practice having a black out?

Was this when you were like in elementary school? I must be an ignorant guy, because I have never heard of this. Except fire drill, earthquake drill, and hiding drill (for any intruders).
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:29:00 pm »
Around here (Jersey) we just canceled school and -pardon the pun- chilled.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »
I've gone camping a few dozen times, and often those memories last longer than the ones I make within civilization.  Heck, when I want to do some thinking, I'll go on a bike ride out in the country.  I enjoy being outside significantly more than being inside, but there are so many conveniences that civilization offers that it's hard to live without (you can write without a computer, but using one makes it so much neater and more efficient, for example).
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:03 pm »
Yeah, we lost power here for over 2 days (sux because you cant flush the toilet or use the dishwasher) but the firehouse and the airport had power, so me and my brother spent some time there stealing there electricity.

Also, would like to add the fact that one of my neighbors lost 9 trees. I might post a pic of it later....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:48:04 pm by MattH »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:02:51 pm »
sux because you cant flush the toilet
Electric toilet?
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »
The fuck?! Toilet does not require electricity....

Speaking of washing, yes, it was fucking cold taking a shower.

Offline Liber Lupus

• Soldier
  • shoulddrinkmore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 04:04:15 pm »
I guess there's some good out of living in a post-soviet country. There's no gas or electricity bs to get hot water, it comes separately with the cold. So when power's out, at least I still get to enjoy hot showers.

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »
The f**k?! Toilet does not require electricity....

if you have city water it doesnt, but in the country you need like a pump which requires electricity.
Holy Poop!