Author Topic: Usable Doors and Interiors  (Read 1747 times)

Offline MorlanV

• Major(1)
Usable Doors and Interiors
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:41:28 am »
I was thinking, I saw on a few custom maps that there are doors that cannot be used (like doors in the background). I was thinking that we could make a command tool to enter a door and inside is a room, and people could use that room to reheal, stock up on ammo, use it as a lookout post, etc.

If there ever was a mission mode for singleplayer, they could use this for it.

You could also use them to spawn in, so you won't get killed right when you spawn in the middle of nowhere, or in a battle. You also could add stairs or ladders, so you can climb up instead of jumping up on platforms. You could use ladders in bunkers, because I made a custom map with bunkers in it, like TTW's and TW's.

I think that rooms would help for more realism in the game, and could benefit for things like machine gun bunkers and rooms to heal in after a heavy war or loading on grenades or ammo in realistic mode.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Usable Doors and Interiors
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:55:24 pm »
That sounds like a map would need to have multiple layers, and when player enters a door - he would go to a different layer.

All that sounds awesome and would add another dimension to maps, though there are a few downsides:  this feature would lead to much more complex maps being made, and such maps in will dramatically change the feel of Soldat.
Also, the idea with bunkers and lookout posts won't work because players can only aim vertically and horizontally. They can't aim into background or foreground (unless there's a special key for that), so players on different layers won't be able to hit each other.

But overall I think that if used properly, this feature could make maps extremely interesting.
Rooms where you can hide, alternative routes on different layers, etc. This doesn't sound like a good addition to normal game modes, but it gives LOTS of opportunities for custom gamemodes - old and new ones.
-----------

As for stairs and ladders - this would work better if it was like in Link-Dead (there are surfaces which you can jump through from below, but you won't fall through them from above), but for that you'll need another button for "climb down". Adding an extra key wouldn't be such a big deal if there weren't already too many other important keys. Too many essential keys is not a good thing for a fast-paced shooter.
I'd say let's just stick with the way stairs are made now. It's just something you have to deal with in a platformer.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:22 pm »
Would turn Soldat into a 2D version of CS, and it already is dangerously close to becoming just that.
F11.
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:11:28 pm »
Moving polygons ftw. Supported.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »
Uh.. this thread has nothing to do with moving polygons.
Anyway, slow down, you've already posted more than enough in the past half an hour. Get off the computer, go do something useful. :|

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:14:54 pm »
WTH? Just so you know I´m chatting with my gf and between the lines I have some free time you know :P (sorry, totally offtopic)

To at least be a bit OnTopic: I know this hasn´t much to do with moving polygons. But the idea would work with them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:17:15 pm by DarkCrusade »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:40:55 pm »
Wow really? Sounds like an absolute crap idea to me, fiddling about moving through layers of map. Would ruin gameplay because you could just dodge through layers, it would turn normal mode into realistic, trying to find where the player went.

Even if it was implemented as something outside of normal soldat, it seems way too much trouble for what you get.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:59:47 am »
No! Don't forget the good old soldat :|

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:06 pm »
good idea, but not good enough for now

we have to wait until soldat becomes a single-player campaign

Would be suitable practically in single-player (only) like horse mentioned above, and..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:23:44 pm by Horve »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:35:11 pm »
I think this would be visually (only) nice idea for Realistic mod (only). Imagine a door in the middle of laos's landscape,
either it would look as stupid as it sounds unless someone would be willing to waste some time to make visuals match it.

Would be suitable practically in single-player (only) like horse mentioned above, and..
Problems that would likely appear in multiplayer:

* Door abusing, wanking the door-enter button to move back and forth continuously to avoid dying.

* (CTF) Base defending nerves will get more variety, in cases of base-to-base background layers.

* Sounds, it would make sense if you could hear people walking in the room behind you, but it would same time give some 
   distraction into your side.

* Locked base rooms (to avoid spawnkilling) wouldn't help at all, unless you're able to keep monitoring whats in the other side.

* Gosteks entering doors, for player's view it would be obvious your dimension changes, but what about how it looks outside?
   Does it just fade in black, disappear immediately or process with some sort of walk-behind animation and so on..
   This is not really a problem, but would be very damn awkward in Soldat.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:02:19 pm by smiluu »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 04:40:25 am »
How about this. I am assuming there are scripts for moving players about, like from one coordinate to another. Is there a way to use scripts of sorts (instead of polybugged teleporting) to teleport players? I was thinking something along the lines of: "Player walks to door scenery. Player teleports to "room" in another section of the map, and vis-versa." So, the mapper would have to map some "rooms" in a distant, unseen section of the map to teleport to.

Well, at least, this is the most plausible way I'd see this happening. I've experimented with rooms and doors using the polybug trick for teleporting, as if the gostek "entered" a room, but it turns out lame and buggy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:42:05 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »
How about this. I am assuming there are scripts for moving players about, like from one coordinate to another. Is there a way to use scripts of sorts (instead of polybugged teleporting) to teleport players? I was thinking something along the lines of: "Player walks to door scenery. Player teleports to "room" in another section of the map, and vis-versa." So, the mapper would have to map some "rooms" in a distant, unseen section of the map to teleport to.

Well, at least, this is the most plausible way I'd see this happening. I've experimented with rooms and doors using the polybug trick for teleporting, as if the gostek "entered" a room, but it turns out lame and buggy.
I had exactly the same idea, but for that there also needs to be some sort of "use" button or command, so that if a player doesn't want to - he won't trigger the teleport script.

AFAIK, it's possible to add spots on a map that trigger a script. It's also possible to teleport players to certain areas (like climb servers' save/load commands). So it should be possible to make something like you described. The only problem is - it'd still have to be a server-side script, not a map script. :S

Offline MorlanV

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 11:39:17 am »

I had exactly the same idea, but for that there also needs to be some sort of "use" button or command, so that if a player doesn't want to - he won't trigger the teleport script.

AFAIK, it's possible to add spots on a map that trigger a script. It's also possible to teleport players to certain areas (like climb servers' save/load commands). So it should be possible to make something like you described. The only problem is - it'd still have to be a server-side script, not a map script. :S

When you said multiple layers in your first post, I didn't mean it like that. You could enter a building, exit it out on a top door that is findable by going upstairs or something, and exiting back out, then in the tower part from where you shoot is part of the main layer of the map, rather then being inside the building, making it less complex.

I like the teleport idea.

Yeah your right about the stairs. A bit too complicated and would add a useless button.