Author Topic: straight edge  (Read 5780 times)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
Re: straight edge
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »
Your own personal choices doesn't make it a culture.
It becomes a culture when those personal choices are similar to those of others.  In this case (though I've never heard of this particular "movement" before), it would seem like people who don't want to do harmful things to themselves but still want to fit in are banding together and calling themselves a culture.  While I agree with the reasoning behind the first three prohibitions, I think this "straight edge" business is retarded.  These people need to learn to think for themselves and make decisions for themselves.  Who cares if other people agree with you? Do you need some sort of freaking "support group" to refrain from taking drugs? If you think they're bad for you, just don't do them, and screw other peoples' approval!
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »
Jesus himself said "A little whine gives the spirit joy", or something in those lines, I don't know the English translation of it.
A little whine is supposed to mean that you're allowed to drink, but not to get brick-hard wasted, people have been fond of alcohol since millenniums. So in other words, I drink, but if I know a certain type of alcoholic beverage will drop me in just a couple of shots, I stay away from it.
As to drugs, and smoking, the fifth commandment tells us not to kill, and I consider both of those to be killers.
I enjoy a good hubbly bubbly or whatever it is you call it, every once in a while, but only on occasions.
There's a difference between being an extremist fuck, and being true to your beliefs.
b&

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 03:34:58 pm »
i guess i have a problem with the irrationality of it. if you choose to be straight edge then you cant drink or smoke whether or not smoking and drinking makes you happy or unhappy.

It seems that most people who choose to associate themselves with straightedge don't have any past experience with drugs or drinking anyway, so it really just becomes a thing to preach about. People just like to be a part of something.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »
i guess i have a problem with the irrationality of it. if you choose to be straight edge then you cant drink or smoke whether or not smoking and drinking makes you happy or unhappy.

It seems that most people who choose to associate themselves with straightedge don't have any past experience with drugs or drinking anyway, so it really just becomes a thing to preach about. People just like to be a part of something.

I know at least a dozen of people who tried ecstasy, marijuana, drank all kinds of alcohol, and never again did it, because they didn't actually enjoy it, only two or three of them now do weak drugs occasionally, people aren't that dumb, you know.
b&

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »
You've misunderstood my point. I'm implying that most people who claim to be straightedge have never tried drugs/alcohol in the first place. And yes, people aren't that dumb. I know.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:04:32 pm by SadistAtHeart »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:55 pm »
Sometimes I wish CaptainBen was here.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 08:08:37 pm »
can someone try to explain the reasoning behind this f**king retarded culture before i literally stab the next guy who starts preaching his faux religion to me in the middle of a good night out

You don't know why? Some people in this world don't GET IT socially. They're playing the 'victim' role by basically saying "People who have fun are selfish/bad." I betcha they're the type of people that couldn't get women to be attracted to them to have sex in the first place. But I'm guessing that you already understand this stuff... you obviously want a good argument for straight-edge-ism. :|

So uh, those people's lives must, plain ol' suck.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:18:42 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »
Sometimes I wish CaptainBen was here.
So he could fight your battles for you?
@ii

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of this-thread-could-use-some-trollage coz right now it's boring as f**k
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:02:31 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 11:47:45 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of this-thread-could-use-some-trollage coz right now it's boring as f**k

yes. all these recent threads that you have started have all been very interesting and my threads are but an ant in the shadow of your wonderful towers of discussions. you always bring so much substance to any thread and your replies are always helpful. just like that one

how dare i try and start a thread about something other than xbox games and computer problems

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 12:58:25 am »
Your old stuff was better panzer what happened

What happened to those stories about chakra and split open penises
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 04:39:10 am »
Your old stuff was better panzer what happened

What happened to those stories about chakra and split open penises

And I'm still awaiting a sequel to jrgp's Wanton Adventure.

@topic: Just another weird cult which best be avoided.
There are other worlds than these

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 06:35:39 am »
Your old stuff was something that i cant be bothered to reciprocate to

What happened to two way conversations

And I'm still waiting for other people to make this forum a fun place to read because i cant be bothered

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »
And I'm still waiting for other people to make this forum a fun place to read because i cant be bothered

I'm no joker, comedian, or creative enough writer to make you all laugh and bring bucketloads of joy to the forums.

So that leaves people like you. :P
There are other worlds than these

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:02 pm »
And I'm still awaiting a sequel to jrgp's Wanton Adventure.

HOLY BALLS I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS

WRITE IT NOW PANZER
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:08 am »
HOLY BALLS I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT how lazy i am to not come up with anything myself

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »
what is going on in this gay corner now?

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »
panzer's on his period

and what, sxe used to be a type of anti-subculture with a reason until all the fucking posers joined in, but hey, fuckyeah meme capitalism or something.