Author Topic: IMPORTANT: THD/Soldat/U13/PuttyNuts Server Move  (Read 3652 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
IMPORTANT: THD/Soldat/U13/PuttyNuts Server Move
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:40:22 pm »
A few weeks ago I had to renumber (change the IPs of) all of my servers.  This was to increase the redundancy and robustness of the network that my servers sit on. 

I have been informed by my host that they're now moving forwards with the next phase of their plans to improve their network and facilities, and this involves moving all of their hardware/network and customer-owned (colocated) machines to another facility that they have leased space in.

At this point I only know that they are planning to do it within the next week, but I will pass along other details as I get them.  The expected downtime is 4 hours they're saying, but I'm anticipating an outage of up to 12 hours before all services are fully restored after the move.  I have asked them to call me when the move is complete so that I can confirm that my servers are online and accessible as soon as possible and begin restoring services.

There are no further IP or DNS changes associated with this move.  Upon asking my host about the possibility of native IPv6, he indicated that they will be pursuing this (so that I can ditch the HE tunneled IPv6, not that it has been problematic but a full 1500B MTU would be great).

During this downtime, all PuttyNuts-hosted services will be unavailable including hosted Soldat servers, websites and Soldat-related services (e.g. the lobby server, amongst other things).  Inbound mail will still be accepted by a backup system in California and DNS will still resolve for all domains hosted by me as there are backup DNS servers provided outside of my Chicago gear.

Please feel free to post here or contact me with any questions or concerns.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:50:07 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: IMPORTANT: THD/Soldat/U13/PuttyNuts Server Move
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:20:05 pm »
Dear Customer ,

As notified earlier, Chi Networks is moving to a new state of the art facility. This facility is based in Chicago and has all the features of modern data center including:

· Redundant Power with onsite generators
· Biometric and manned security
· Dedicated cage designed for our needs
· SAS70 Type II compliance

The move is scheduled for Friday 2nd April, 2010 7 PM CST to 11 PM CST.

On Friday, Your servers will be shutdown and will be moved to the new facility. No network configuration changes will be required.

We will send you an email 15 minutes prior to the ACTUAL shutdown of your system. You will then have an opportunity to complete a clean shutdown. Otherwise, Chi Networks engineers will shut down the box by PRESSING the POWER Button.

After we bring up your system, we will send a notification for you to test your system. Should you have a problem, please notify us and we will help you get it resolved.

If you want to postpone this move to another time/date OR if you want a shorter maintenance window, please respond to this email or call us at 312-756-1500x2 - we will be happy to accommodate your request.

Thank you for your business.

Thank You

Chi Networks Helpdesk

Offline Farah

• Major
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:33:32 pm »
april fools?
<EnEsCe> you challenge me I will make your Soldat life a living hell.

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
april fools?
The move is scheduled for Friday 2nd April
/sarcasm
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »
yeah seriously... and I posted about it a week ago.  It'd be a candidate for april fool's if I posted today saying they were being moved tonight...

Offline Farah

• Major
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:15:52 pm »
some people like to have elaborate jokes
<EnEsCe> you challenge me I will make your Soldat life a living hell.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:07:16 pm »
Reminder: this is happening tonight.

I expect this will greatly increase the quality (in terms of latency and latency-related factors) of the connections to any Soldat servers hosted on my hardware.  The new facility has a number of upstream internet connections and should offer up much better connectivity to the rest of the country (still in Chicago, but different building)