Author Topic: tcp netcode  (Read 3867 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
tcp netcode
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:03:26 pm »
change the netcode to tpc instead of udp, it both makes the gameplay better by making everybody have the same ping, and makes sure there's no packetloss.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:34:03 pm by -Major- »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Re: tpc netcode
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:58 pm »
Obviously it isn't that simple.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:28:36 am »
Having an online multiplayer action game use TCP instead of UDP is a terrible idea and thus never happens. Why? UDP is *stateless* and doesn't really care about packet reliability; when it sends a packet, instead of waiting to see if it sent and resending it if it didn't, it doesn't care and just sends the next one. Whereas with TCP you'd have the giant overhead of checking if a packet was received and having to resend the ones that weren't. It would make everything ingame super slow unless you were on some super fast network, such as a LAN.

Just like everyone before me who had answer this question to people too lazy to look around, F11.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:32:41 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:46:09 am »
well, the current netcode is quite horrible, I rather have 2-3x the ping than having this horrible netcode.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 12:51:21 am »
well, the current netcode is quite horrible, I rather have 2-3x the ping than having this horrible netcode.

Moving the current netcode to TCP would likely require much of it being rewritten, and it would be way, way, way slower. Plus people who know what they're talking about would be b***hing at MM/eC like hell.

Just rewriting it to be more efficient (and keeping it UDP) is the best/only option.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:54:11 am by jrgp »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:56:55 am »

Moving the current netcode to TCP would likely require much of it being rewritten, and it would be way, way, way slower. Plus people who know what they're talking about would be b***hing at MM/eC like hell.

Just rewriting it to be more efficient (and keeping it UDP) is the best/only option.
enesce doesn't have the skill required to rewrite the UDP code, but might beable to write a tpc netcode.
this is confirmed by quotes of enesce trying to understand the current netcode (probably why he doesn't try to fix it).

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:02:10 am »
enesce doesn't have the skill required to rewrite the UDP code, but might beable to write a tpc netcode.
this is confirmed by quotes of enesce trying to understand the current netcode (probably why he doesn't try to fix it).

I honestly doubt that he's unable to deal with the current netcode, and that instead he's either too lazy or lacks the time. But if it so that he is unable, then it's his own fault for not letting people who most certainly are able to use UDP correctly, such as Shoozza/Toumaz/ChrisGBK/etc work on the netcode for/with him.

P.S., it's TCP not TPC.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:02:35 am »
banasan'd..

the netcode is going to get any better any time soon... sooo get over it, go play a different game.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:48:22 am »
banasan'd..

the netcode is going to get any better any time soon... sooo get over it, go play a different game.
you make perfect sense

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:22:28 am »
P.S., it's TCP not TPC.

THIS

Proves that -Major- has no idea what he's talking about.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 06:58:24 am »
Even IF the netcode was moved from UDP to TCP, there's no guarantee that the "eating" problems that occur would be fixed. The problems in the game are more commonly found to be synchronisation errors between the server and clients regarding the position of players and objects in the game, and changing networking protocols is not going to solve anything, only make things worse.

With Soldat as far gone in it's development as it is, it's pretty difficult to actually fix this synchronisation problem within the game. The best that you could expect EnEsCe (or anyone working solo) to do would be to find ways to make the problem less obvious (like making the server control bullet and explosive push).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:00:23 am by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:13:11 am »
Even IF the netcode was moved from UDP to TCP, there's no guarantee that the "eating" problems that occur would be fixed. The problems in the game are more commonly found to be synchronisation errors between the server and clients regarding the position of players and objects in the game, and changing networking protocols is not going to solve anything, only make things worse.

With Soldat as far gone in it's development as it is, it's pretty difficult to actually fix this synchronisation problem within the game. The best that you could expect EnEsCe (or anyone working solo) to do would be to find ways to make the problem less obvious (like making the server control bullet and explosive push).
ye, I remeber we talked about this, but enesce refused to do anything. as I suggest bulletpush is applied to eaten bullets, and since the bullet push is applied, you can just check the bullet and add the damage. same with grenades, since you get pushed, you can just check the previous loaction and register the nade (or make all those eats nade take damage similar to nade-to-head damage).

P.S., it's TCP not TPC.

THIS

Proves that -Major- has no idea what he's talking about.
ye ofc, the 13 year old kid is right.
tpc is some thing, just google tpc tube or something. only a retard would start argument about such things.
your parents hates you, you suck in school, got no friends and never had a girl friend, we know, but don't come here and try to get heard -.-

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:22:02 am »
your parents hates you, you suck in school, got no friends and never had a girl friend, we know, but don't come here and try to get heard -.-

Ohh the irony

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 08:40:46 am »

Look who's talking you little 4chan loving c**t who's obsessed over underage Asian girls who don't really exist (your avatar). I'm only trying to help here and your s**tting all over me. :P

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »
LOL
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Re: tcp netcode
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 02:54:12 pm »
Look who's talking you little 4chan loving c**t who's obsessed over underage Asian girls who don't really exist (your avatar). I'm only trying to help here and your s**tting all over me. :P
you think a politician can whine over his own life when it's about serious business? no, bringing up personal issues or trying to be heard is just an annoying act made by retarded people.

also, I barely visit 4chan, I'm not obsessed with underage girls (if you think my avatar looks like underage... then I guess your 18 = 30). you obviously have a hard time separating things from yourself. as in, if you see a gang laughing, you'll directly think they are laughing at you.
if  I quote centurion I obviously talk to him, however, since you're this retarded, I'm ok with you taking it as something against you.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:29 pm »
ye ofc, the 13 year old kid is right.
tpc is some thing, just google tpc tube or something. only a retard would start argument about such things.

you think a politician can whine over his own life when it's about serious business? no, bringing up personal issues or trying to be heard is just an annoying act made by retarded people.

Oh I love you

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
18 = 30

Lol, since when does 18 equal to 30?

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:58 am »
Co-co-co-combo breaker! Stop this flamewar. :D
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 05:07:57 am »
Then this thread gets useless unless -Major- updates the first post with a never seen, brandnew, and awesome suggestion.

D: