Author Topic: Free Server Antivirus Software?  (Read 671 times)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
Free Server Antivirus Software?
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »
So I recently converted my server from Ubuntu to Windows Server 2008.  I love the new OS, but of course it's going to require antivirus software, something that my old OS didn't.  I've used Avast! for all of my other computers in the past, but they don't have a free server version.  What do you guys recommend as an alternative?

UPDATE: The workaround on this blog seems to do just what I want.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:06:44 pm by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Free Server Antivirus Software?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:39:14 pm »
First off, why'd you move away from Linux?

Second, I don't think you'll be able to get a quality free *server* anti virus software, but you can try using Avatast/Avira/AVG desktop edition free anyway and see how that goes.

edit: the AV that's often used on Linux/UNIX file servers when they're hosting files for Windows machines apparently has a Windows version too: http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/about/win32/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:41:49 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:50:37 pm »
First off, why'd you move away from Linux?

Because Windows has compatibility, support, documentation, and is easy to use.  I've been able to survive with Ubuntu for a year or so because I have roommates who are Linux junkies who can help me (and because using it on a server means I don't have to think about it), but everything on Linux is ridiculously complicated to do.  For example, to bridge network connections in Ubuntu I had to go to the command line and enter several arcane commands, and even that took a while to get right and make sure it was working.  To do it on Windows I highlighted both connections, right-clicked to bring up a context menu, and selected "Bridge Connections." Done.  With Windows I can use a professionally made product with professionally made software, rather than free stuff that's worth roughly what it costs.  Think the difference between Office 07 and OpenOffice.org.

Whew.  Rant over.  Okay, I'll take a look at the ones you posted.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:11:42 pm »
Think the difference between Office 07 and OpenOffice.org.

Oh goodness, even I can understand this.. [voice-shivering inflection]