Author Topic: Non-default controls  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Moogle

• Major(1)
Non-default controls
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:51:50 pm »
So it's my first time posting on the forums despite having played Soldat for, what is it now, like eight or nine years. Has Soldat even existed for that long? Anyways I moved to a place that has good internet and so I'm now playing online and it's really fun (played against bots my whole life).
I've noticed people have different styles of play and that got me thinking about how exactly they're controlling their guys. I mean the physical button configs everybody uses. I've never used the standard setup (a,s,w,d etc.) so I don't know how effective that is but I bet some people have some interesting ways to do it.
I for one have most of my directions on the block of buttons above the arrow keys (P. Up, P. Down, Del etc.) with 7 on the num pad as my move right. Enter is nades, Shift is reload, Ctrl is switch weapon and / above the Enter key is drop weapon. 0 on the num pad is to prone.
I find this control scheme really good as I never have to take my fingers off the movement keys for any reason, everything else is accessible with the pinky finger except prone, which always has the thumb on it, and the whole thing is just ergonomic and easy to use. Try it sometime.
So yeah, I don't expect to post too much around here but if you see me in the pubs you'll know who I am now. Peace.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
Re: Non-default controls
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »
WSAD is the default movement keyset for each game, mostly because it is close to the "natural" placement of the left hand when typing, and also you have quick access to the nearby keys, while the arrows are distant from the closest keys.

On a side note, some people play with the EDSF and similar keysets, because they have easier access to the closest keys.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:37:24 am »
On a side note, some people play with the EDSF and similar keysets, because they have easier access to the closest keys.
In Soldat it makes using taunts harder because thumb is quite far from Alt(it's not that bad though).

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:33 pm »
I use a more traditional layout.
WASD - Jump, Left, Crouch, Right respectively.
LShift - Prone.
Space - Throw weapon.
Q - Switch weapons.

L. Mouse Button - Shoot
R. Mouse Button - Jet
Mouse Wheel Press - Throw grenades
Mouse Wheel Down - Reload

Until some time ago I had Crouch on LShift, and Prone on C, and almost every time I used Alt+C taunt I kept going into prone. So I finally decided to make some changes. A few days ago I also changed my chat taunts (were T and Y) to < and > to free up two more taunt keys.

A few problems with my layout is the "Switch Weapons" - sometimes you have to let go of A key to press it. I'm used to it, but it's still not a very good thing.
Another problem is Throw Nade and Reload. Sometimes when I throw nades I would accidentally scroll the wheel down and cause my weapon to reload. Not a fun thing when you have barrett. Luckily most of the time I use autos.
There are two extra buttons on my mouse which I could use for switch weps and reload, but unfortunately Soldat doesn't support them. :/ (sounds like something to mention in a suggestions section...)

Oh well, I still love my layout. :3

I find this control scheme really good as I never have to take my fingers off the movement keys for any reason, everything else is accessible with the pinky finger except prone, which always has the thumb on it, and the whole thing is just ergonomic and easy to use.
What about the mouse? You seem to have a lot assigned to the keyboard and very little to mouse. I think it's important to pick a control scheme that is balanced between both hands. Otherwise you end up with one hand not doing much, while the other one is responsible for most of the controls.
In this case you have several keys you press with your pinky finger, so you can't press them at the same time or even just fast enough.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:41:47 pm »
In Soldat it makes using taunts harder because thumb is quite far from Alt(it's not that bad though).
RFDG and TGFH make the small finger to be directly at the alt key.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:45:05 pm »
Why not just have your thumb on Alt? It's not like you'll be using taunts while shooting and dodging.
Wait till you get a few free split seconds (while reloading maybe) and move your thumb off Space and onto Alt, send a taunt or two and move your thumb back onto Space.

Offline Moogle

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:18:19 am »
I find this control scheme really good as I never have to take my fingers off the movement keys for any reason, everything else is accessible with the pinky finger except prone, which always has the thumb on it, and the whole thing is just ergonomic and easy to use.
What about the mouse? You seem to have a lot assigned to the keyboard and very little to mouse. I think it's important to pick a control scheme that is balanced between both hands. Otherwise you end up with one hand not doing much, while the other one is responsible for most of the controls.
In this case you have several keys you press with your pinky finger, so you can't press them at the same time or even just fast enough.

I somewhat disagree. The most important buttons should be prioritized by being assigned the most 'finger time' so that there isn't a conflict with needing to press another button with the same finger. The two most important buttons (after movement keys) are shoot and fly so they each get exclusive rights to their own finger. That way I can shoot/fly+whatever more easily while minimizing the chances of a misclick. I'm never going to need to press reload and throw at the same time, for example, so of the keys assigned to my pinky I'll only ever need one at a time. And in case you're wondering, that little finger can get around pretty quick, so that's not an issue either. Everything else is one finger per button.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:20:00 am by Moogle »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 03:19:50 am »
I use

WASD - movement

Q - Drop weapon
E - nade
F - Prone

RMB - fly
LMB - shoot
Scroll up/down - change weapon
scroll press - reload

R - chat
T - teamchat

altho nade should be located at shift or spacebar, because of it's excessive usage.

Offline Moogle

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 12:45:15 pm »
You guys are crazy with all your scroll-wheel usage.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:52 pm »
Nearly everything is default except drop weapon, which is set to spacebar. This is absolutely necessary for knifing.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:34:26 am »
I have nade on right click, throw weapon on push scroll down and change weapon on scroll.
Jetpack is W and jump is space.

I love having nade and knife buttons on the mouse itself. The left hand only controls movement, and the right hand controls everything else. Tried and true combination, because I absolutely hated the default settings when I first started playing.

Looking down from ethereal skies