Author Topic: Why use Mac?  (Read 17972 times)

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
Re: Why use Mac?
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 01:46:00 pm »
they crashed alot more than my PC.
Don't compair School computers.
With some good working parts & mac you can live with it until something breaks...
Unlike school computers which don't get that much of attention..
Macs are good for work because you won't have any good games to play on them olololo
lol +1 respect for being a smartass
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:47:55 pm by pavliko »
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 01:47:37 pm »
Actually they were brand new iMac's

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »
biggest diffrence between mac and pc is that PC got a lot more whining kids who must declare their choice is better, while the mac users doesn't really care.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 02:40:08 pm »
bork@borkbork:~/bork/bork-sp10/borkbork/bork3$ bork * | wc -l 11835

Nice job deliberately making it look more complicated and complex than it really is. The only part you'd be typing is what's in bold:

And it's pretty mean of you to post a nonsensical command to try to validate your point. It makes no sense, especially since bork probably doesn't exist and wc doesn't accept input from a file (you're specifying 11835) and stdin at the same time (the pipe character | there is telling to shell to redirect output from bork * into wc).

Don't compair School computers.
With some good working parts & mac you can live with it until something breaks...
Unlike school computers which don't get that much of attention..
Actually they were brand new iMac's
Quite possible. School computers are usually ignored and school IT people usually don't know what they're doing or care.

This hotel I was in one time had iMacs in each room. The one in mine was kinda old (this was 2008 and it was at least 3 years old). It was fast as hell and appeared to be rock solid. I used it a lot while I was there without a hitch.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:44:38 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 02:59:00 pm »
A few comments on supposedly good looks and design:
As far as Macbook Pros go - I found nothing good about neither the looks, nor the technical specifics of the case of the models that we used at college (brand new ones). Here are a few issues that I experienced in a 2-year period:

1) Pieces are not fit together well, some spots feel wobbly and deform easily, lots of gaps where the dirt gets into. (http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro#Warped_casing)
2) Really bad choice of material - attracts dirt very easily, after a few days of gaming the keyboard would look so dirty it was embarrassing and gross.
3) The surface corrodes from sweat (!!!). Nearly a half of my classmates had that happen with their macs. (http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro#Corrosion_on_MBP_Topcase)
4) Flimsy key attachments that could easily break when you take the keys off to clean underneath.
5) Only 2 USB ports. >:(
6) Whitish spots on the display (like semi-dead pixels) after a short time.
7) The display died after only about a year of use.

And here are a ton more issues that I didn't mention: http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

I haven't used other laptops, but from what I've seen - they look much better assembled and more durable. And have at least 4 USB ports.

On the other hand new mac desktops look decent, and I loved the solid and compact design of the keyboards.. but that's where good things about macs end for me. :S

I think the "durability" some people are talking about comes from inability to mess with the system much. Unlike PCs where nearly everything is easily accessible (and vulnerable), on Macs most of that is hidden from users and even programs are not always allowed to change much.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It really gave me a much better idea about Macs vs. PCs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:23:26 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »
Well MacBooks are made by the same company that cranks out Dell laptops...
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 03:53:26 pm »

<some linux talk>

I think in your nitpicking you're missing the point that what Espadon wrote, while nonsensical, is something you could CONCEIVABLY SEE ON A LINUX TERMINAL.  The fact that you can even say "well I guess this would work if this phrase here was that instead" should just drive home how ridiculously complex such a system is.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »
Regardless, it's not worth it for someone who's not going to be working with IT administration to learn UNIX's near-arbitrary shorthand commands. Not to mention that Linux isn't very supportive of creative software and tablets.

Bottom line:
If it has the hardware you need to run the software you need, then it's all you need.
Loner, I think you're on the right track in just comparing defect issues between computers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:12:42 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »
Not to mention that Linux isn't very supportive of creative software and tablets.

Really?

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »
Thanks for finding that for me.

Let's work on making GIMP less annoying next.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:03 pm »
Let's work on making GIMP less annoying next.

Try Inkscape? Kpaint?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
Well MacBooks are made by the same company that cranks out Dell laptops...

If you're referring to ASUS, then you should specify motherboards.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »
Holy crap, Google is hosting their Indian server on Linux.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.google.in

This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 06:00:10 pm »

So is the rest of Google. ;)

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 06:18:31 pm »
I believe Quanta holds the contract for manufacturing the case and assembling the MacBooks.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »

So is the rest of Google. ;)

Yeah, Google and most other large sites are hosted on 100% Linux or [Free]BSD (and a large amount of other site for that matter).

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:09 pm »
You use Macs to support Apple so they can crank out more useless models of the iPod. Maybe they'll re-release the iPod Shuffle, but this time they'll give it a huge touch-screen and sell it for $300.

But in all seriousness, there are very few points that I agree with. One of them is jrgp's point that UNIX, while complex, is just awesome. It makes you feel like you have much more direct control over your OS than you do with Windows. The second point I agree with is Brick's point that Win Vista/7 are too heavyweight. Perhaps Gamer is right and they're just heavy for the time being, but I like the balance that Windows XP has between functionality and featherweight speed. Vista and 7 just seem sluggish, and a lot of the features they have over XP seem extraneous.

I suppose the one thing I might really like about a Mac is that everything is well-integrated. Most programs that run on Windows systems are third-party. Sure, there are few issues with software running on the OS, but there's a comfort to be found in knowing that the video editor you're using was developed with your specific OS in mind by the same company that developed the OS itself. Everything just seems to ... fit better.

Other than that, I personally don't prefer Macs to Linux or Windows.

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 03:47:56 am »

Are you kidding?? All servers use linux. Almost.

You use Macs to support Apple so they can crank out more useless models of the iPod. Maybe they'll re-release the iPod Shuffle, but this time they'll give it a huge touch-screen and sell it for $300.

But in all seriousness, there are very few points that I agree with. One of them is jrgp's point that UNIX, while complex, is just awesome. It makes you feel like you have much more direct control over your OS than you do with Windows. The second point I agree with is Brick's point that Win Vista/7 are too heavyweight. Perhaps Gamer is right and they're just heavy for the time being, but I like the balance that Windows XP has between functionality and featherweight speed. Vista and 7 just seem sluggish, and a lot of the features they have over XP seem extraneous.

I suppose the one thing I might really like about a Mac is that everything is well-integrated. Most programs that run on Windows systems are third-party. Sure, there are few issues with software running on the OS, but there's a comfort to be found in knowing that the video editor you're using was developed with your specific OS in mind by the same company that developed the OS itself. Everything just seems to ... fit better.

Other than that, I personally don't prefer Macs to Linux or Windows.
What a good post.
Linux just allows you to do ANYTHING you want. And of course it must be complex to satisfy your needs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:52:24 am by Neosano »
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 10:11:14 am »
Well, of course Linux doesn't let you do anything, but it is much more accessible and permits you to act at your own risk more freely. Now this is strictly my own opinion, but this is how I see it:

Windows: "I will be overprotective for as long as you live!"
Linux: "I trust you to experience and learn on your own, but I'll be here to help if you need me."

Also, of course it doesn't have to be complex to satisfy my needs. Hell, even a Mac will satisfy my needs well. What it comes down to is preference.

By the way, if you couldn't tell, I couldn't decide whether your post was sarcastic or not. >_>

Edit: AAARGH! You got your Google Ads in my Soldat Forums!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:13:43 am by Kazuki »

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:06 am »
Mac doesn't allow you to make spam troyans D:
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!