Author Topic: Cloning  (Read 4272 times)

DarkCrusade

Cloning
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:04:37 pm »
This topic is about the discussion whether cloning should be allowed or not. I think it's no easy question since there are so many aspects that you cannot clearly decide for one side so there needs to be a line somewhere. Maybe you have thoughts on this important part of science that is so mistreated if I may say it like that.

Discuss please, I want to hear what you think about it since I am doing a presentation about it in my religion class.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Cloning
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »
Having us do your school work for you? Meh

anyway, I'm all for cloning. Only issue I can see is the extrem cost.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:36:33 pm »
I'm against this. What's the point of people/ animals all being the same? We were created to be different from others.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:07:30 pm »
I'm against this. What's the point of people/ animals all being the same? We were created to be different from others.

What about biologically engineering a "super soldier" and just cloning and using he/she/it for wars as opposed to drafting lots of naturally born people, many of which *will* die?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:15 pm »
But as with all technologies, in the long run it will do more harm than good, Joe.
Like mistaken identities in criminal cases.
b&

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »
But as with all technologies, in the long run it will do more harm than good, Joe.

Elaborate? I don't see medical technology as doing more harm than good. And as for mistaken identities, each clone probably has the the same DNA (maybe we can refer to it as a hash or checksum?) and thus any human body with that specific hash is one of "them" and not one of "us" (uncloned people).

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »

Elaborate? I don't see medical technology as doing more harm than good. And as for mistaken identities, each clone probably has the the same DNA (maybe we can refer to it as a hash or checksum?) and thus any human body with that specific hash is one of "them" and not one of "us" (uncloned people).

So, you're saying we just pick one random human and base all of the clones off of his DNA?
That's even worse.
OK, now forget about the identities thing, another problem would be the clones taking over, as in developing certain emotions, shall we say, against their creators, and "rebel".
It's a possible scenario, considering the variables.
b&

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »
Oh the hypocrisy, so suddenly an adult Human clone is less Human than a Human blastocyst? Give me a break.

developing certain emotions, shall we say, against their creators, and "rebel".

You're gonna have a hard time letting your kids go.

If you ever have any.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:31:47 pm »
I never said that, they deserve to live once created, but the idea of cloning is wrong to me.
I see a clone, I won't kill him/her, but I will always despise the idea of cloning.
We aren't God.
And I do not see how this has anything to do with me having kids...
b&

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »
You create kids. They don't come flying in by Stork Airlines.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 02:35:58 pm »
You create kids. They don't come flying in by Stork Airlines.

I don't create them, I do materialize a body, in a way, but I believe that the "soul" aka life comes from somewhere else.
I don't want this to turn into a war of religious perspectives, I'm just an old school Catholic.
b&

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 02:40:18 pm »
And just what if it's the same with a clone? You just clone a body and "God sticks in a soul."

derp derp derp
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »
I don't create them, I do materialize a body, in a way, but I believe that the "soul" aka life comes from somewhere else.

::)

Cloning. The clone still has to undergo the normal stages of human development, so it wouldn't turn out to be exactly like anyone really. We all agree that environment has a great deal of effect on a person's personality, kay?

In other words, I have no qualms with "cloning."

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:32 pm »
Wow, Espadon, you really do hate me, eh?
I wish for once in your pathetic life you would consider showing respect for any other reason than kissing ass.
I'm sorry, but I don't argue with half-assed idiots.
Conclusion: I'm against it.
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 02:49:49 pm »
@bsb: There are different ways of cloning and one includes the foetus growing up in the mothers egg cell. Dolly had 3 mothers but no actual father for example.

@demoniac: People could tell you things about religion that you wouldn't like to hear and I'm no christian either even if I was christened.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »
What about biologically engineering a "super soldier" and just cloning and using he/she/it for wars as opposed to drafting lots of naturally born people, many of which *will* die?

Biological engineering and cloning are two different things.

As far as I know you're not able to take the best parts from DNA and mix them up into some super DNA that would give the person in future ability to be a super soldier. Or am I wrong?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 02:56:28 pm »
Afaik you are already able to cut the DNA into pieces and put in other pieces of DNA, too. It has been developed for ages now to fight HIV.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:06 pm »
Let's keep eugenics and gene enhancement out of the picture for now, because they have very little to do with cloning while causing a lot of distracting arguments. If you want to talk about eugenics, make your own thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:02:28 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 03:05:59 pm »
Go on and clone people, but not for society. And you shouldnt call them people. They should be called blanks. These blanks can then be programed(taught) how to do specific tasks. When they need rest or food, they simply get fed by a tube, and crap into diapers, which they change themselves and put on fresh ones the next day. This way, we can eliminate the need to work, and have a large food source.

Anyone for head?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 03:08:08 pm »
You bring up an interesting point, Shard. No, actually not.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:12:44 pm by DarkCrusade »