Author Topic: Internet Trouble  (Read 1187 times)

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
Internet Trouble
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:39:00 am »
I just got Charter internet at my appartment and im trying to get internet to my ps3 to play online. i tried just taking the ethernet cable out of the computer and just directly pluging it into the ps3. but i couldnt get a connection to the internet on the ps3 (its was plugged directly from the modem to the ps3). so i figured it was because i needed a router, so i went out and got a lynksys router and plugged it in....

so i plug the modem into the lynksys and plug a ethernet cable from the lynksys to the computer. no internet. the lynksys "internet" light blinks but no internet. i tried finding the signal on the ps3 and i found it, but it was the same as before when i tried it without the router.

i have a
"motorola surfboard router"
lynksys wrt54g v8 wireless router
and charter internet service.

i've tried setup tutorials but its all too basic and my problem is weird.
Holy Poop!

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
Re: Internet Trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:52:21 am »
I would suggest going into your PS3's connection setting and add in the DNS servers (those numbers are given to you by the internet provider when they set things up). Also, you may have to power down the modem for a few seconds after switching the cable around to free up the IP address the computer would have been given.

I'm not sure about this. I just googled.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:59:29 am »
Does your internet work with the computer plugged directly into the modem? Is the IP address automatically assigned (dhcp) or did your ISP give you a static one to use? (along with the gateway/netmask/dns servers/etc)
There are other worlds than these

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »
i have a cable modem and it is plugged directly into the modem now. my Computer internet works when i do that.

My ISP did not give me anything when they set it up, i can go to CMD and find the ip and DNS tho, but i dont know if it is static
Holy Poop!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:26 pm »
i have a cable modem and it is plugged directly into the modem now. my Computer internet works when i do that.

My ISP did not give me anything when they set it up, i can go to CMD and find the ip and DNS tho, but i dont know if it is static

if it works without you doing anything manually than it most likely isn't static.

I don't see why connecting the ps3 directly to the modem shouldn't work, unless your ps3 is misconfigured somehow.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:00:29 am »
Get a different wireless router. I had nothing but trouble with lynksys, took forever to get it to work.

The setup my bro has here, is a modem(or router, Im not sure which is which), which I connect to wirelessly, which I can also connect my PS3 to wirelessly. You may want to check your modem, to see how many IP's its handing out, like 193.........01/02/03 and so forth. That was a problem with ours for a while. Then my bro changed it so it hands them out to systems which access our network and put in a WEP key.

Does that help?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:36:38 am »
The setup my bro has here, is a modem(or router, Im not sure which is which), which I connect to wirelessly, which I can also connect my PS3 to wirelessly. You may want to check your modem, to see how many IP's its handing out, like 193.........01/02/03 and so forth. That was a problem with ours for a while. Then my bro changed it so it hands them out to systems which access our network and put in a WEP key.

You shouldn't use WEP. It can be cracked in under 10 minutes by people who really know what they're doing. Any modern router should support WPA/WPA2 Personal; use that instead.

And yeah, Lynksys' do suck hard. I'd suggest Netgear.

Hope you don't mind if I clarify/correct you a bit:

And a modem won't let you wirelessly connect to it or hand out IP's. That's the job your router does. The only exception to that is sometimes ISP's (like Qwest) combine the modem and the router (which I find weird as hell).

Your computer gets the IP address when connected directly to the modem from your ISP, not the modem itself. When your router is connected to your modem, your ISP gives the router its dynamic IP address through the modem, then the router acts as a DHCP server for your local network which dishes out IP addresses to your home computers/lan devices.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:41:33 am by jrgp »

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 12:09:11 pm »
You shouldn't use WEP. It can be cracked in under 10 minutes by people who really know what they're doing. Any modern router should support WPA/WPA2 Personal; use that instead.
Nah. It can be cracked in under 3 minutes by people who don't know what are they doing.
Even WPA/WPA2 key can be bruteforced, keke ^_^

And buy a Buffalo router!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOSS
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII