Author Topic: Active Brainstorming?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
Active Brainstorming?
« on: May 26, 2010, 04:02:51 pm »
So I was sitting here at work, trying to brainstorm ideas for a new story instead of actually being productive.  I have a couple of concepts I want to see in the story, but I'm not sure how to tie all those things together.  My first idea was to just zone out and see what came into my head, but then I thought of a way to be more proactive than that.

How about, as a brainstorming aid, a program that displays different pictures several times a second? The pictures could be anything: buildings, people, places, math equations, fantasy art, etc.  The plan would be to just stare at the rapidly changing images until you get a flash of insight, then you could stop it and go back to the image that triggered your idea.  The pictures could be pulled from a service like Google image search (with an extremely generic term like "picture" or something).

So, how about it? Is there a name for this kind of brainstorming? Is it a good idea? What do you think?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
Re: Active Brainstorming?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:10:30 pm »
I love people with this way of thinking.

If it wont cause seizures, then yes, it's good.
Anyway you'll have to try it.
Why did you think that it'll work? :)
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »
Alternatively: close your mind off to all thoughts for a few minutes. Then relax your hold and watch the images cycle past like a reservoir released.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:01 pm »
I always got good idea from just driving around and night and observing things around me.
@ii

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:36:31 pm »
I like to carry around a piece of paper and put everything I think, no matter how minor, onto it in permanent pen. Eventually I get a paper covered in random scribbles short drafts with nowhere to write on. Usually at least one of them usually ends up being something.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:27:36 am »
There's a firefox extension that'll let you focus all images you find at a certain site(such as google) into one compressed imageboard. It's a really easy way to see as many pictures in one go as you want. You can even set it to show one fullsize picture at a time, in a slideshow manor, with like .3 seconds interval, should you wish it.

Of course I can't remember the name, but I had it recommended from a friend, so I'll report back in as soon as I talk to him.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Snack

• Soldier
  • Ehm ;_;
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:44:45 am »
There's a firefox extension that'll let you focus all images you find at a certain site(such as google) into one compressed imageboard. It's a really easy way to see as many pictures in one go as you want. You can even set it to show one fullsize picture at a time, in a slideshow manor, with like .3 seconds interval, should you wish it.

Of course I can't remember the name, but I had it recommended from a friend, so I'll report back in as soon as I talk to him.

I think that you mean Cooliris?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:05:54 am »
Alternatively: close your mind off to all thoughts for a few minutes. Then relax your hold and watch the images cycle past like a reservoir released.

This. Observing your thoughts in any event can sometimes be rather interesting as we generally are not in complete control of our mind.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:50:57 am »

I think that you mean Cooliris?

That may very well be. Look into it.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »
Try drawing a mind map.