Author Topic: fps capping  (Read 9855 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
fps capping
« on: May 28, 2010, 04:20:11 am »
it should be possible to fps cap soldat.

DarkCrusade

Re: fps capping
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:54:03 am »
What is this about. What do you want.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:09 am »
It is in the newest version of the beta. It's also been suggested earlier.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:55:07 pm »
What is this about. What do you want.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:46 pm »
What does FPS capping do anyway? If I understand that right - it puts a limit on FPS.
But isn't the more FPS = smoother motion = better? If so - why would you want to limit it?

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:52:46 pm »
It is in the newest version of the beta. It's also been suggested earlier.

Its not coded well. It lower 20% less fps than set. Thats not like pro games, or vsync, where u cap at 100 fps and get 99.99/100 fps. Its just lower the ammount of fps showed. IT JUST SUX.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 07:01:56 am »
What does FPS capping do anyway? If I understand that right - it puts a limit on FPS.
But isn't the more FPS = smoother motion = better? If so - why would you want to limit it?

Having a stable FPS of 50 is much better than having an FPS jumping between 50 and 100.

Its not coded well. It lower 20% less fps than set. Thats not like pro games, or vsync, where u cap at 100 fps and get 99.99/100 fps. Its just lower the ammount of fps showed. IT JUST SUX.

That I don't know much about. What is coded well in Soldat?

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 07:25:59 am »

Having a stable FPS of 50 is much better than having an FPS jumping between 50 and 100.

especialy since you eat a lot more with 60 fps than if you have 240 fps.

Offline Fireman

• Major
  • D:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 10:31:24 am »

Elaborate please, what does your FPS have to do with lag? ( ping ) It doesn't matter whether you have 30 or 500 FPS. Unless you have proofs  :-\

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »

Elaborate please, what does your FPS have to do with lag? ( ping ) It doesn't matter whether you have 30 or 500 FPS. Unless you have proofs  :-\
I have asked like every guy that eats more than average about their fps and those who doesn't... the eaters ussualy are around 60 fps, the ones that doesn't are 200+.
now, I'm not sure if this is completely reliable, since it probably has a lot to do with the connection too.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 08:32:26 pm »
How can FPS be anyhow related to eating and lagging? FPS only tell you how many frames are shown per second.

What is why it is called FPS and not ping. Noone sees whether you have low or high FPS, but the difference between low and high ping are very visable, no? The same counts for eating.

Again: FPS have nothing to do with eating. You, -Major-, as someone who tells everyone how many things he knows about Soldat, should honestly think about not posting every little assumption that pops up in your mind because this is really hilarious..

------>                     FPS <> Ping

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »
you don't even know what fps means do you?

anyway, there are games that run differently on various fps limits.
if you take cod4 for example, if you have a very high fps, you will jump higher and have less recoil. and if you have lower fps, you will jump longer but have slightly more recoil.

as I said, this might not be true with soldat.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:02 pm »
You seem to ignore every given sense to the maximum.. you imply that I don't know what FPS are? Seems more like you didn't learn how to read or you didn't read my post entirely because I stated what FPS are and what not.

Despite this little contradiction (because you neglected what FPS really are) this is Soldat. Soldat cannot be compared to 3D shooter games like, for instance, COD4, because the differences are too huge. It starts with 2D <> 3D and ends with bugs.

Didn't we already have this little discussion? Everyone had the opinion that you cannot relate Soldat to any 3D games, be it Halo, COD4 or Quake. Except you again..

I don't know why, but you really seem to ignore the content of my posts and only read my name. Because this is what I stated in my post before: Stop posting >assumptions< that sound like >facts< because you stressed them as if they were the one and only truth. It's kind of pathetic thinking about all those threads in which you post your assumptions that you defend like they were the Holy Grail.

Feel free to comment again, I look forward to some serious fun :)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 10:06:46 pm »
You seem to ignore every given sense to the maximum.. you imply that I don't know what FPS are? Seems more like you didn't learn how to read or you didn't read my post entirely because I stated what FPS are and what not.

Despite this little contradiction (because you neglected what FPS really are) this is Soldat. Soldat cannot be compared to 3D shooter games like, for instance, COD4, because the differences are too huge. It starts with 2D <> 3D and ends with bugs.

Didn't we already have this little discussion? Everyone had the opinion that you cannot relate Soldat to any 3D games, be it Halo, COD4 or Quake. Except you again..

I don't know why, but you really seem to ignore the content of my posts and only read my name. Because this is what I stated in my post before: Stop posting >assumptions< that sound like >facts< because you stressed them as if they were the one and only truth. It's kind of pathetic thinking about all those threads in which you post your assumptions that you defend like they were the Holy Grail.

Feel free to comment again, I look forward to some serious fun :)
lol, you are retarded right? what sane person would talk that much bullshit?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 04:00:05 am »
I seriously can't stand the irony.. I am curious, what makes you think your opinion is more valid than mine

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 06:37:54 am »
blah

It's true that FPS can affect the gameplay. Helbreath for example, it's an old RPG. The higher your FPS is, the faster your character runs. The difference was easy to note if you played on an old computer against somebody who had a modern computer.

The joke's on you DC, just quit it... You never learn to give up, do you?

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 07:41:06 am »
mostly pro games has nothing to do with FPS affecting ur shits. Like on quake3 high fps = higher shits. On new Quakelive its solved.

Idk about Soldat, since the only way to limit the fps is setting vsync ON, which sux cuz the devices lag. If you just limit ur fps to ur monitor refresh rate value, the game will not flick, and run smoother. In the past i tried to use fpslimiter.exe but it fuck up the DX8 shit.

Btw, how its coded on 1.5.1, it just sux hard. Not limiting in fact the fps, but lowering the ammount, with a instable shit, and 20% lower. If you wants 100fps cap, u must set 120 atlest, but yet, instable to 70/80/90/100 fps.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:32:58 am »
Code: (pascal) [Select]
var
  maxFPS: byte = 0;
  fpsLastFrame: DWORD = 0;
  fpsCurrentTime: DWORD = 0;

begin
  fpsCurrentTime := timeGetTime();
  if not ((fpsCurrentTime - fpsLastFrame) < (1000 / maxFPS)) then begin
    RenderFrame;
    fpsLastFrame := fpsCurrentTime;
  end;
end;
You tell me what is coded wrong about that, wiseguy.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 10:52:32 am »
var

begin
  if not ((fpsCurrentTime - fpsLastFrame) < (1000 / maxFPS)) then begin
   RenderFrame; 
   fpsLastFrame := fpsCurrentTime; 
  end;
end;
You tell me what is coded wrong about that, wiseguy.

altho.. shouldn't it be something like:

var

begin
    if ((fpsCurrentTime - fpsLastFrame) < (1000 / maxFPS)) then begin
        RenderFrame;
    end;
    fpsFrameTime = fpsFrameTime + (1000 / maxFPS);
end;
or
var

begin
    if ((fpsCurrentTime - fpsLastFrame) < (1000 / maxFPS)) then begin
        RenderFrame;
       fpsFrameTime = fpsFrameTime + (1000 / maxFPS);
    end;
end;
these checks really kills my mind these days... so it might have to be a if not... (I never got this so I always tried both~)
blah, if the counter doesn't show very accurate fps, just mess around with stuff....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:44:23 pm by -Major- »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 12:07:17 pm »
I dont even need to understand of Delphi(?) coding, even none languange, to know its wrong. I may provide proofs if you cant understand what is going on.

Summarize:
-20% lower than the amount set on maxframerate
-instable(by high values)
-freezing

Prolly thats not the coding way pro games use to limit the FPS. Or maybe, Soldat itself dont work well with that.

FPS capped with vsync on my 100hz shit

FPS capped on Soldat @ 150, vsync off
- As ya can see, its like 20% lower and very instable, not even close to what vsync does or how Quakelive/CS cap the FPS. To get it capped on 100fps i have to set 120 on maxframerate. This GIF is made on .15 beta, on .14 it was worse.

FPS uncapped, vsync off, 50% lower than current 1.5