Author Topic: Damage Display v1.3  (Read 36128 times)

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
Re: Damage Display v1.3
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 06:51:17 am »
(...)
I thought about that but don't want to put fast apponidle in such a script.
I think you already doing that to fade out the text. What about moving it up while reducing the transparency?
I'm not and I'm pretty sure that moving text with 1 Hz frequency won't look good.

Updated to v1.3. Didn't have much time to test it but should work troublelessly.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 10:37:06 am »
yeah you can't really move the text in any reasonable way.
also, aren't there only 10 slots to draw to? meaning you can only have 10 things written/drawn total?  this would restrict this feature not only to having 10 drawn to screen (which isn't that big of a deal) but also, no other scripts are allowed to be installed that use draw functions.
Now the problem comes for hosts who have no idea about programming that there may be compatibility issues between different scripts...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 11:14:36 am »
(...)
I thought about that but don't want to put fast apponidle in such a script.
I think you already doing that to fade out the text. What about moving it up while reducing the transparency?
I'm not and I'm pretty sure that moving text with 1 Hz frequency won't look good.

Updated to v1.3. Didn't have much time to test it but should work troublelessly.
Thank you for update :)
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 01:37:26 am »
also, aren't there only 10 slots to draw to? meaning you can only have 10 things written/drawn total?  this would restrict this feature not only to having 10 drawn to screen (which isn't that big of a deal) but also, no other scripts are allowed to be installed that use draw functions.
Now the problem comes for hosts who have no idea about programming that there may be compatibility issues between different scripts...
If people will provide information what IDs their scripts use and won't hardcode them everything should be OK.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:31 am »
If people will provide information what IDs their scripts use and won't hardcode them everything should be OK.

while that may be so (maybe have an .ini file where hosts can change stuff like that), there are still (currently) only 10 slots. i feel like that's way too low for many ideas that would implement it...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline squareking

• Major(1)
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 02:15:20 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread, and likely in the wrong forum, but is there an interface modification similar to this that isn't server-side? As in, something I can use in all games I play?

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread, and likely in the wrong forum, but is there an interface modification similar to this that isn't server-side? As in, something I can use in all games I play?
Asking for some hackz => wrong forum. There is no modification like this. It's only possible via server-side scripting.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline squareking

• Major(1)
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »

Asking for some hackz => wrong forum. There is no modification like this. It's only possible via server-side scripting.

Weaksauce. Is it really a hack if I just want to display the damage I'm doing? And why isn't it as simple as applying a skin or HUD? I understand that's mostly a matter of swapping image files, but displaying damage isn't that difficult, right? I'm mostly just curious.  :D

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »

Weaksauce. Is it really a hack if I just want to display the damage I'm doing? And why isn't it as simple as applying a skin or HUD? I understand that's mostly a matter of swapping image files, but displaying damage isn't that difficult, right? I'm mostly just curious.  :D
Is it cheating? Personally, I don't think so. It doesn't provide any significant advantage.
Is it a hack? Unfortunately yes. Hacking is the only way to get that working client-side, and hacking is illegal.

Displaying damage numbers is nearly impossible client-side simply because such feature does not exist in the game in the first place. So if you want it to work on all servers - you'd have to create the damage display code from scratch and somehow insert it into a closed-source game (and that's basically what hacking is).

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 02:11:37 am »
there are some gostek mods with healthbars iirc, try looking in the mods section (never used gfx mods myself too much tho, so you're on your own here)

it's not precise at all though, as there are no client-side damage detection capabilities

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 07:55:44 am »
there are some gostek mods with healthbars iirc, try looking in the mods section (never used gfx mods myself too much tho, so you're on your own here)
That just uses the blood effect I think.

Offline dnmr

• Camper
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 08:58:25 am »
That just uses the blood effect I think.
yeah, but that's as close as you can get to what he needs without actual hacks :/

Offline binarypsycho

• Major(1)
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:51 am »
Hi!
Nice script, I would like to implement it, but it's not working at the moment with 1.6 / 2.7.0.

The server doesn't even start with the script installed.
I've tried to start the server with only this script in scripts folder.

Log Error Entry -
11-09-09 07:17:46 
  • DamageDisplay v1.3 -> [Error] (91:2): Unknown identifier 'WorldText'

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bina

Offline JotEmI

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2011, 08:26:52 am »
That script was written for old 2.7.0 server, the one that EnEsCe released. It won't work with the new server.

Offline binarypsycho

• Major(1)
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 09:15:46 am »
Thanks, JotEmI!
Just now I've saw this and understood the full picture -> http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=39778.0
Damn. =/

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:04 pm »
Too bad new 1.6 server does not support EnEsCe's new awesome scripting features.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 03:01:51 am »
You can't even read 3 previous posts, can you?
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline dnmr

• Camper
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 05:11:53 am »
That script was written for old 2.7.0 server, the one that EnEsCe released. It won't work with the new server.

Hmm. I would like the author to make a script for newer versions of the soldat 2D.  :)
it won't work because it's not possible to make this script for new server. It does not have the required functionality

Offline Mexer

• Soldier
  • real eyes. realize. real lies.
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »
I wonder if you can do this for the medics, so if you're healing someone , both will see a + sign over the wounded person's head
Soldat devs and community: We want this game to be successful and have new players and make it popular!

Soldat devs and community: But we want the oldskool graphics and bugs and errors to be left alone! Soldat shall never change!!!

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:35 pm »
Only with WriteConsole or DrawText. WorldText isn't included.