Poll

What to do with the minigun?

Remove.
Replace.
Keep it.

Author Topic: Remove/Replace the minigun.  (Read 9866 times)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
Re: Remove/Replace the minigun.
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 11:23:15 am »
Leave minigun like it is in real life. Real sluggish to carry around and can't move while shooting. Maybe make the player crouch or prone while using it like the LAW. Then of course make it deal more damage. Keep the long reload time. Could be a very tactical weapon in defense or supportive offense. You shouldn't be able to use the minigun to propel yourself in the air like its some rocket pack or something. You could use this new minigun till ammo runs out, then switch to your USSCOM, and go ahead to the other team's base. Or you can stay at your own flag and use minigun like you would use barret. It would push other players away so they couldn't get to the flag if used properly. Good idea?

In real life a XM218 would do a lot worse things than pushing you back.
Ever watched Rambo 4, where he aims a 50. at point blank at some guy's torso? That's what happens with the minigun, only faster.

Obviously I'm not saying the whole game should be realistic. But most games do benefit from adding realistic features to the game.

We already have a realistic physics engine, and somewhat realistic weapon balance. (Note: I said "somewhat", cause I know for a fact it's not even close to perfect)

And now we need a realistic minigun ;)
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 12:14:11 pm »
Leave minigun like it is in real life. Real sluggish to carry around and can't move while shooting. Maybe make the player crouch or prone while using it like the LAW. Then of course make it deal more damage. Keep the long reload time. Could be a very tactical weapon in defense or supportive offense. You shouldn't be able to use the minigun to propel yourself in the air like its some rocket pack or something. You could use this new minigun till ammo runs out, then switch to your USSCOM, and go ahead to the other team's base. Or you can stay at your own flag and use minigun like you would use barret. It would push other players away so they couldn't get to the flag if used properly. Good idea?

Ever watched Rambo 4, where he aims a 50. at point blank at some guy's torso? That's what happens with the minigun, only faster.

Obviously I'm not saying the whole game should be realistic. But most games do benefit from adding realistic features to the game.

We already have a realistic physics engine, and somewhat realistic weapon balance. (Note: I said "somewhat", cause I know for a fact it's not even close to perfect)

No, leave it as it is.
I can easily mow down 2-3 guys when in a good choke point.
b&

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 05:16:16 pm »

No, leave it as it is.

The operative words here are: "2-3 guys" and "choke point".

You using minigun as a situational weapon, which is hardly good for a primary weapon. Seems more like a secondary, because "choke point" = situational like how secondarys are supposed to be used, and "2-3 guys" meaning it wouldn't kill as much as a primary (with the long reload time, 2-3 guys is good, but you won't get it again soon).

I think if we could poll every current soldat player, the people who would want my minigun would outnumber the people who like to fly through the air with their home-made extra rocket jet pack :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:22:21 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:25 pm »
I think if we could poll every current soldat player, the people who would want my minigun would outnumber the people who like to fly through the air with their home-made extra rocket jet pack :P

I've polled the clan players. They prefer a minigun they can surf with. Finding unintentional uses for weapons can be a great addition to any game's gameplay. It's just a shame that the weapon is otherwise pretty useless.

And to have another weapon that enforces restrictions like crouching is a terrible idea. It's not fun at all and it slows down the game's pace. There are still conventional routes to explore in buffing the minigun - like increasing its damage and accuracy, and lowering the unnecessarily high reload and startup.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 06:36:22 am »

No, leave it as it is.

You using minigun as a situational weapon, which is hardly good for a primary weapon. Seems more like a secondary, because "choke point" = situational like how secondarys are supposed to be used, and "2-3 guys" meaning it wouldn't kill as much as a primary (with the long reload time, 2-3 guys is good, but you won't get it again soon).

Let's see, how many Primary's are situational?
The Barrett? The M79? The MP5?
Should I go on?
b&

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:42 am »

No, leave it as it is.

Let's see, how many Primary's are situational?
The Barrett? The M79? The MP5?
Should I go on?

How could you say that? 2 of those are 1 hit kills, so how could they be situational? And the MP5 is kinda like a smaller minigun with less ammo, and less reload time, which makes it balanced.

And to have another weapon that enforces restrictions like crouching is a terrible idea. It's not fun at all and it slows down the game's pace. There are still conventional routes to explore in buffing the minigun - like increasing its damage and accuracy, and lowering the unnecessarily high reload and startup.

So changing the Law was a terrible idea, and it should've stayed a weapon that you can shoot while flying through the air, right? Minigun WILL slow you down no matter what they change unless they change the push-back (forgot the name :P) which is stupid imo. They've been trying to change the damage and accuracy for the last how many versions and it's just not working. It's either gonna be too powerful or too useless. You need to find the middle ground and that takes some creativity.

I've polled the clan players. They prefer a minigun they can surf with. Finding unintentional uses for weapons can be a great addition to any game's gameplay. It's just a shame that the weapon is otherwise pretty useless.

Hmm. While I do agree surfing can be fun, it's just that it's not what it was meant for and like you said, it's useless otherwise. It was pretty fun to fly through the air and mow down people with the law, too, it was hella fun, but it was still taken out because it ruined and unbalanced the game. Maybe there might be an alternative surf option? I dunno. I'm getting into Soldat 2 here. Well, mainly thats what this discussion is about to me, because I doubt enesce would change the minigun too much. 

So for Soldat 2, would you like to see my minigun? Keep in mind that you can't release a Soldat 2 like Soldat 1 was released in 2001. It has to be finished and polished. So having a situational weapon (like surfing) AS A PRIMARY wouldn't count as polished. I was thinking like some sort of extra bonus like the other guy was saying in the other topic. To have a bonus for each player that he can pick from. Extra health, extra ammo, or a surfing jetpack that lasts 5 seconds sort of thing, etc.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:49:51 am by miketh2005 »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 10:02:05 am »
Comparing the MP5 to the Minigun is a sin. Sure, if you only change startup, ammunition, reload, shot frequency, damage, speed and bink it's totally the same gun.

The minigun needs not creativity. It needs a better netcode.

So what would you do with the minigun? Move it to the secondary guns? What then? Add another automatic gun or just leave the space free?

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

So changing the Law was a terrible idea, and it should've stayed a weapon that you can shoot while flying through the air, right? Minigun WILL slow you down no matter what they change unless they change the push-back (forgot the name :P) which is stupid imo. They've been trying to change the damage and accuracy for the last how many versions and it's just not working. It's either gonna be too powerful or too useless. You need to find the middle ground and that takes some creativity.

The LAW is meant to be situational. It's acceptable for a secondary to have a specific role. But even then it's just a fraction of a second one needs to stop, fire, and start moving again; unlike with your minigun that requires one to stand still for seconds, continuously firing. The primaries are meant to be usable in every situation and while on the move. The minigun does slow you down currently, but it's still way better than being an immobile target just like with the stationary guns. MM might however reduce push back to 80% of its current value for 1.5.1. The FireInterval and Speed attributes could also be used to change the amount of push back. But it was not until version 1.5 was in development that minigun was decided to be made into a serious primary. In all previous versions it just got small tweaks to keep its place as a surfer.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:34:26 am by 10th_account »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2010, 12:51:11 pm »
Comparing the MP5 to the Minigun is a sin. Sure, if you only change startup, ammunition, reload, shot frequency, damage, speed and bink it's totally the same gun.

So what would you do with the minigun? Move it to the secondary guns? What then? Add another automatic gun or just leave the space free?

A sin? No, it's logical.
I've seen absolute skill freaks (The kind that plays CW's as a warm up for a CW) using the minigun as a "fun-gun", merely mowing down 3-4 guys in one run.
And you ever noticed how all weapons, no matter how large and heavy, never slow the player down? SO I compared two perfectly balanced primaries to each other, damn me to hell.

Edit: Nvm this post.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:01:53 pm by demoniac93 »
b&

DarkCrusade

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »
A sin? No, it's logical.
I've seen absolute skill freaks (The kind that plays CW's as a warm up for a CW) using the minigun as a "fun-gun", merely mowing down 3-4 guys in one run.
And you ever noticed how all weapons, no matter how large and heavy, never slow the player down? SO I compared two perfectly balanced primaries to each other, damn me to hell.

I was referring to Miketh's comparison of the MP5 and the Minigun.

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:07 pm »

Exactly :P Lets just say it's the closest gun to the minigun, alright? I was just saying that it's a balanced gun compared to the minigun, so you just helped my point. Thank you.

I was not saying to move it to secondary, I was saying it needs to be made into a primary because as it is now, it's kinda a secondary.

So your saying the problem with the minigun is that 20% of the bullets aren't registering? If this is the case, then I guess you are right. Happy?

The LAW is meant to be situational. It's acceptable for a secondary to have a specific role. But even then it's just a fraction of a second one needs to stop, fire, and start moving again; unlike with your minigun that requires one to stand still for seconds, continuously firing. The primaries are meant to be usable in every situation and while on the move. The minigun does slow you down currently, but it's still way better than being an immobile target just like with the stationary guns. MM might however reduce push back to 80% of its current value for 1.5.1. The FireInterval and Speed attributes could also be used to change the amount of push back. But it was not until version 1.5 was in development that minigun was decided to be made into a serious primary. In all previous versions it just got small tweaks to keep its place as a surfer.

I see what you mean. Then just make sure the push back is in check (if it isnt already) so that you can't move while shooting, and I'll be happy :)

1 Barretter or even a M79er and 3-4 turns into 0.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:13:36 pm by miketh2005 »

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »
Won't feed that quote train; Not one, nor two, but usually 3 Barrettards/M79 noobs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:03:34 pm by demoniac93 »
b&

Offline gens

• Major(1)
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »
i like minigun

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2010, 06:30:23 pm »
yeah i could  talk all night long about what to add starting from pri to sec weapons and pickups but i think they should change it add a auto sniper or a b36 or somthing or change it fire rate lower and power up it or yust leave it but new weapons would be cool  8) 
or add fire or crosbow or somthing or a light sniper is the best)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:32:29 pm by SoldatFire »
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 12:48:05 pm »
yeah i could  talk all night long about what to add starting from pri to sec weapons and pickups but i think they should change it add a auto sniper or a b36 or somthing or change it fire rate lower and power up it or yust leave it but new weapons would be cool  8) 
or add fire or crosbow or somthing or a light sniper is the best)

So you want another Steyr and Ruger? And another Socom?
b&