Author Topic: HLT...dead? Discussion not finished...  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Jackal666

• Major(1)
HLT...dead? Discussion not finished...
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:03:51 am »
Espadon: "It serves as a lesson to not bite off more than you can chew.

If you think you're up to the challenge, please make your own mod."

Hey, I wasn't quite finished with the discussion there, Espadon... You should ask someone if they have anything more to say before locking down a thread.

But anway, back to it. You say 'make your own mod.' Heh, well funny thing there... I kinda did. I'll make this short...ish.

About 2 years ago, while waiting for HLT to be released, I went ahead and sort of made my own little "teaser" Halo mod. You might remember it, it was called "Halo: Soldat Evolved." It took me about 3 weeks, and I never exactly intended to post it, but when I was finished I thought "what the hell" and put up a link for it. That link got taken down and the thread locked because I based my gfx off of Espadon's HLT and SKs Halo 3.5. Now in my defense, I did overhaul those images a lot, and I did give credit where credit was absolutely due. But that's in the past, and I'm not one for arguing semantics.

I had increasing school work and standardized tests to deal with, so I kinda gave up on the whole Halo: SE thing, and decided I'd wait for Espadon's HLT to eventually come out. Now, I'm less than one month away from going to college (yeah!), and while clearing out space on my computer's hard drive, I stumbled onto the Halo: SE mod. I decided to see what HLT was like, only to find out now that it's been dead. So, before I delete the Halo: SE mod from my PC, I'm curious...

1. Does anybody want that Halo: SE mod?
2. Is it alright to post an upload link to the mod if I do upload it?

Don't lock this thread down or delete it. Let the people here decide if they want Halo: SE. I know there were several who were interested in it in the past. And since the whole HLT thing was a bust, and since I did get Espadon's and SK's permission (after the initial Halo: SE was posted) does anyone have an objection?

Let me just end by saying that
1. It was never my intention to plagarize or steal anything from anyone.
2. This isn't exactly intelligence reports from the NSC, it's free gfx and sfx, no one should have to get all self-righteous.
3. People should discuss this, but come to a decision quickly, as I am not gonna be around much longer... nor the mod files on my computer.
4. I think that Espadon probably did an incredible job with HLT, and it's just a shame it never made it. If any of you think a lack of respect towards either him or SK was the motivating force for Halo: SE, I highly suggest you think again.

Thank you,
and yes, this is

Gladiator2

EDIT: Halo: SE.... http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=31223.0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:20:16 am by Jackal666 »
"6  6  6!!!
The Number of The Beast!
 6  6  6!!!
The one for You and Me!...." Iron Maiden.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
Re: HLT...dead? Discussion not finised...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:00 am »
Alrigthy:
He's trying to link to HLT.

I can assure you that thing is more dead than Abe Lincoln.
Quote from: Espadon
Not releasing.

Should be a decent EOD.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:26:39 am »
you did plagiarize their work, you didn't clearly state you copied their graphics, you even said "I have decided to toss out my Halo mod", decision about removing the download link and closing the thread was fine. It's not up to the people if they want your plagiarized mod, it's up to the original authors if they let you use their work.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:29:10 am by Mittsu »
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Jackal666

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:36:22 am »
you did plagiarize their work, you didn't clearly state you copied their graphics, you even said "I have decided to toss out my Halo mod", decision about removing the download link and closing the thread was fine. It's not up to the people if they want your plagiarized mod, it's up to the original authors if they let you use their work.

Wow, someone needs to brush up on their reading comprehension... just kidding.

1. While a lot of the mod was based off of HLT and Halo 3.5, there is a lot of original work in there too. Off the top of my head (from what I remember) the sfx are a great example. The mod is 35 mb in size, and one of the reasons why is the sfx. They are loud, and even have some Halo music in them (for when you get the predator box or invincibility box, or the other box)
2. They DID give me permission. I clearly stated that. You can ever re-read the original threads on Halo: SE to see for yourself.
3. I hate to use the cliche "draw you a picture," but if you would like me to make a paintbrush image of myself bowing down to an Espadon god and a SK god, I hate to break it to you, but that's not happening.

You can either take it or leave it. But if it's at all possible, I'd appreciate not being forced to turn into a broken record saying the same thing over and over and over and over .... again.

Thanks.
"6  6  6!!!
The Number of The Beast!
 6  6  6!!!

Offline killzonea59

• Soldier
  • nut up or shut up :D
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:55 am »
Well if it's not a hassle, I'd like to see Halo:SE for myself.
I say go ahead, if its not even a finished mod, and for what IS finished and he credited for it, there shouldn't be a problem.
If you have a problem with the stuff that he has used from someone else's mod, replace that file, you don't have to play the mod with it.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:59:51 am »

1. While a lot of the mod was based off of HLT and Halo 3.5, there is a lot of original work in there too. Off the top of my head (from what I remember) the sfx are a great example. The mod is 35 mb in size, and one of the reasons why is the sfx. They are loud, and even have some Halo music in them (for when you get the predator box or invincibility box, or the other box)

it doesn't matter if there was your work too, the thread got closed because you used someones elses work, even if it was just a part of your compilation

2. They DID give me permission. I clearly stated that. You can ever re-read the original threads on Halo: SE to see for yourself.

i didnt see it, can you quote me that part?
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline Jackal666

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:19:14 am »

it doesn't matter if there was your work too, the thread got closed because you used someones elses work, even if it was just a part of your compilation

i didnt see it, can you quote me that part?

[Sigh]. You know what, I don't think we're on the same page here.

I don't have the motivation or time to start fighting for this. Here's a link, read the thread: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32648.20

I'm sure you've heard the expression "think outside the box." Well, here we go... Let's all step out of the box, and reflect on what we're talking about. Would anyone like to offer a description? Yes, you?
"Uh... little pictures of cartoonish guns and people?"
That's right! At the end of the day, they are just small pictures of guns, ammo, magazines, people, and blood. Are these copyrighted materials with a pricetag? No... Well, are they something to rival the Mona Lisa? No... Are they completely free to the community? Yep. Did I credit those who should be credited? Yep. Is there still a problem?
.....?

Your moral compass and self-righteous stance is very admirable. But to exercise it on a bunch of tiny drawings is bordering on ridiculous.

I've got first semester books to buy. I have to pay for my housing. I need to set up my schedule. I need to pay for my registered classes. I don't have all the leisurely time in the world, here. I don't have the time to bicker childishly about drawings and gun noises.

The question before us is not "Is gladiator2 an evil, no-good, worthless, gut-sucking parasite?" We all know I am. The question is, "Yes or no, do you want Halo: SE?"
If "yes" then it's "do I have permission to post the link?"

Now, would you like to discuss using other people's free material some more?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:21:06 am by Jackal666 »
"6  6  6!!!
The Number of The Beast!
 6  6  6!!!

Offline killzonea59

• Soldier
  • nut up or shut up :D
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:47 am »
Just to put in an opinion this, i say yeah, go ahead and post it.
Just get permission, Espadon even said he didn't care on the thread, you just had to credit SK's work.
And as far as I know, you did.
There should be no point in arguing over something like this if it was already argued over and its done with.
Jackal never admitted all of this was his own work so he already credited the creators for part of the work.

And I would like to agree that this IS a free community, if he so chooses to take work from others that have no yet been posted, then consider it like a demo "sort" from Espadon's HLT mod.

He's not asking for an argument, he's ONLY asking for opinions to put it up or not, and if he has permission.
If you want to argue more on this subject, visit the link he posted to the thread.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 11:21:14 am »
im not judging you, talking about morals or anything, im just saying its completely understandable why that thread has been closed and your rant is ridiculous since you clearly copied their work, didn't ask them for permission or even give them a proper credit
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
Re: HLT...dead? Discussion not finished...
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:49:08 am »
@ Jackal666: isn't there a rule about having more then one account?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:06 am »
As Espadon didn't care you don't need to care either, Matth.

Offline Jackal666

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:02:30 pm »
@ Jackal666: isn't there a rule about having more then one account?

You know what, there probably is. I've loooonnggg forgotten my gladiator2 account's password. Say, I don't suppose you'd give me a 5 minute warning before you call the police? I wonder if that's considered a misdemeanor or felony in the state of Florida...

I STILL don't think we're on the same page, matt. You seem to think I care that the original Halo: SE thread was taken down. So let me say this as loudly as possible:

I don't care about whatever happened in the past.

Now I know I said "would you like to discuss using other people's free material some more?" but I shoud tell you.... I was kidding.

Matt, should I start placing bets on how long this particular discussion is going to continue?

It's funny, but you have yet to answer the very basic question. Here, let me make it super easy...

Want Halo: SE... Yes/No?

EDIT:
Thank you, DarkCrusade, for just answering it. Do it like that matt.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:08:38 pm by Jackal666 »
"6  6  6!!!
The Number of The Beast!
 6  6  6!!!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »
Yes.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »
Not in my section, Gladbag.

Thanks to you being a prick, I'm changing my mind if I had previously given you permission to cobble my work: I do not give you permission to use my work, either directly, or modified in any way. Don't mess with the hand that feeds you. If you don't like my hand, get your stuff from someone else, or better yet, do it yourself.
Replace the graphics you've derived from my work, and if you have SK's permission to use his graphics, then feel free to repost your revised mod.

Btw, OP muted for forcing the issue. Take this time to meditate upon your actions.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:49:58 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0