Author Topic: dem ghosts?  (Read 14377 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
dem ghosts?
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »
so about them... why don't people believe in such things?

Why are people skeptical even tho unexplainable things happen?
even tho I'm not sure if it's just denial of the ghost part, however, ghost could just be seen as supernatrual... which makes it more of a question why people refuse to accept super natural things even tho the happenings are unexplainable by simple human (non supernatrual) logic.

soooo... Do you believe in ghosts/supernatrual things or not? if you don't... why don't you? if you do, then you can just share your opinion ^^

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
Re: dem ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »
I believe in them. Death is only the beginning < Whether this is cheesy or from some movie I dunno, but I believe it.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 02:29:58 pm »
I'm not sure if I belive in ghosts or just some 4th dimension creature.. or some invisible creatures (like IR light etc stuff) that are quite intelligent.

Altho, since "experts" says it's ghosts... I lean more towards calling it ghosts than some creature.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »
Death is only the beginning < Whether this is cheesy or from some movie I dunno, but I believe it.

You just quoted The Mummy. ಠ_ಠ

Ghosts are as unbelievable to me as fairies, trolls, and gods. If you don't have reliable physical proof of something, it's just hearsay.

That being said, those things could exist, but if you're going to accept one supernatural creature based on blind faith, you might as well accept them all. And that's a long list of things to accept.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:42:23 pm »
ussualy toilet papers doesn't roll out themselves, nor does the stairs run themselves. those things are quite ussual, so is door knocking.
Obviously people could be lying, but I don't see why people would.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 04:39:56 pm »
Death is only the beginning < Whether this is cheesy or from some movie I dunno, but I believe it.

You just quoted The Mummy. ಠ_ಠ

Ghosts are as unbelievable to me as fairies, trolls, and gods. If you don't have reliable physical proof of something, it's just hearsay.

That being said, those things could exist, but if you're going to accept one supernatural creature based on blind faith, you might as well accept them all. And that's a long list of things to accept.
Bolloxs. I saw that on holiday, but I believed it before I saw it. Oh well, common ideology. I have my own views on what death brings.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »
Explaining away an anomaly with superstitions like ghosts is a defining characteristic of ignorance. I try really hard to be tolerant of people's beliefs, but when I hear someone talk about ghosts I immediately consider him/her an idiot.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:07:29 pm »
Explaining away an anomaly with superstitions like ghosts is a defining characteristic of ignorance. I try really hard to be tolerant of people's beliefs, but when I hear someone talk about ghosts I immediately consider him/her an idiot.
So your saying these anomalies couldn't be influenced by the consciousness of the recently deceased? Which would be a round-about definition of 'ghost'.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:31 pm »
So your saying these anomalies couldn't be influenced by the consciousness of the recently deceased? Which would be a round-about definition of 'ghost'.
Right because consciousness is a product of the brain
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline Thinkto urself

• Flagrunner
  • grrrrr
    • sup
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 09:54:24 pm »
it is, read dan brown's the lost symbol.

god such ignorants.

"An anomaly of the sea, shrouded in ubiquitous clouds, a mystery to the man as black holes to the world's smartest physicists"

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in demons. Everything people think of a ghosts is just demons having their fun.
@ii

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 02:07:53 am »
it is, read dan brown's the lost symbol.

god such ignorants.
what

what
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 02:15:25 am »
well, ghost is just an easy word for it. super natrual things are ussualy considered as ghosts.
however, unless you have a better idea what's going on you shouldn't really judge others. mostlikely you're running around calling people of higher intelligence than you idiots... which will pretty much only make you look stupid in the end.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in demons. Everything people think of a ghosts is just demons having their fun.
hmm well.... wouldn't a ghost be pretty much a demon? or do you suggest demon as a creature?

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 02:48:05 am »
What makes them "of higher intelligence", the fact that they invented something without hard proof to explain the unexplainable?
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 02:54:58 am »
What makes them "of higher intelligence", the fact that they invented something without hard proof to explain the unexplainable?
that is a better than ignoring it, and say it never happened.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 03:03:51 am »
ussualy toilet papers doesn't roll out themselves, nor does the stairs run themselves. those things are quite ussual, so is door knocking.

Do you also believe in fairies that exchange teeth for money? And a man who comes to your house to give you presents if you've been good all year but coal if you've been bad?

There are plenty of reasons for people to lie about things like this. Attention-seeking, for example, or getting your kids to behave, or for the fun of telling a good story, or because it's a silly tradition. Some people may see or hear things based on natural phenomena: paranoia and other hallucinations, the natural movements of houses as the temperature changes, there is even some evidence that a certain bass frequency can induce feelings of dread and discomfort in subjects.

Again, if there is no reliable evidence for these things, you might as well believe in all supernatural phenomena. So the greater question then becomes "Why don't you believe in fairies, the chupacabra, will-o'-the-wisps, Santa Claus, the Loch Ness monster, Men in Black, Bigfoot, the yeti, gnomes, demons, sprites, etc.?"

Or if you do believe in all of those things, what don't you believe in? Where do you draw the line between evidence and fantasy?

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 03:11:14 am »

Do you also believe in fairies that exchange teeth for money? And a man who comes to your house to give you presents if you've been good all year but coal if you've been bad?

There are plenty of reasons for people to lie about things like this. Attention-seeking, for example, or getting your kids to behave, or for the fun of telling a good story, or because it's a silly tradition. Some people may see or hear things based on natural phenomena: paranoia and other hallucinations, the natural movements of houses as the temperature changes, there is even some evidence that a certain bass frequency can induce feelings of dread and discomfort in subjects.

Again, if there is no reliable evidence for these things, you might as well believe in all supernatural phenomena. So the greater question then becomes "Why don't you believe in fairies, the chupacabra, will-o'-the-wisps, Santa Claus, the Loch Ness monster, Men in Black, Bigfoot, the yeti, gnomes, demons, sprites, etc.?"

Or if you do believe in all of those things, what don't you believe in? Where do you draw the line between evidence and fantasy?
eh... this was just too stupid to even answer on.

you're basically asking something like this "how do you know that cancer is a real sickness?" it could just be something the doctors make up to receive. donations.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:22:01 am by -Major- »

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 03:43:25 am »
That's because cancer actually exists and manifests themselves in forms of benign and malignant tumors, both big and small. One tumor got weighed in as 140 pounds. That's pretty solid evidence there.

The fact is that phenomenas such as ghosts only manifest themselves when you believe in them, in Vijcht's words, as hallucinations and paranoia.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 03:46:01 am »
Ones I feared only dead..
But something happened, something with enough proof of ghost existence.
So now I only fear ghosts...

Besides, it's enough to know just a few people which experienced something with ghosts in their live to start believing in them...
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 04:03:31 am »
As much as I really do hate to disagree with you VijchtiDoodah, I don't believe that if people believe in ghosts they also by default believe in gnomes/santa/fairies/etc.

Personally, I do (to an extent) believe in ghosts, as in they're spirits of afterlife stuck temporarily on earth until they have the motivation or potential to f**k off. People in certain parts of my family have a history of seeing them. (myself included)

I don't believe in ghosts in the voodoo sense, am well convinced that 99% of seers are fake bulls**tters, and know that faries/gnomes/etc are totally fake. (although I really wish gnomes were real; that'd be badass as fuck)
There are other worlds than these