Author Topic: dem ghosts?  (Read 14423 times)

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
Re: dem ghosts?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 04:39:51 am »
I do believe!

Watch that movie: Paranormal Activity

It's freaking awesome!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 04:40:19 am »
That's because cancer actually exists and manifests themselves in forms of benign and malignant tumors, both big and small. One tumor got weighed in as 140 pounds. That's pretty solid evidence there.

The fact is that phenomenas such as ghosts only manifest themselves when you believe in them, in Vijcht's words, as hallucinations and paranoia.
have you seen the tumor being taken out with your own eyes? otherwise that's not solid proof. even if you had, I haven't seen it with my own eyes, so you could just be lying.

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 05:52:06 am »
This is equally as retarded as religion - Nay, more so. People of faith are at least in most cases indoctrinated from an early age. -Major- and jrgp chose to believe in spirits.

So why do you believe in spirits, jrgp? What convinced you? Did you and your family actually see one clearly as he was juggling around the furniture, or did you just assume it was a spirit because something innocent occurred like a pen dropping from a table or a sock disappeared in the washing machine? In that case it's more likely that the Dutch are behind it as Dutch people are at least well-documented despite only being around for a few centuries. There's millions of paintings, photos and videos of dutch people. You can have conversations with them, you can touch them and they can even touch you back. But there's never been any decent evidence of spirits existing in the millions of... Hmm... Speaking of which - For how long has humans had souls to be turned into spirits? Since the Homo Sapiens branch? Since we were damn dirty apes? Reptiles? Fish? Sea sponges?

-Major-: youtube for "tumor." Now wiki it. Do you really think every Doctor, medical researcher and medical journal in the world is out to get you? Are you really that sold for conspiracy theories?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:54:19 am by 10th_account »

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:55 am »
-Major-: youtube for "tumor." Now wiki it. Do you really think every Doctor, medical researcher and medical journal in the world is out to get you? Are you really that sold for conspiracy theories?
He's just doing the usual "how do we know that ANYTHIGN is real??" defense of indefensible theories. It's useless to argue against because every response is "but how do you KNOW that." You could go down the path of explaining the ideas of Hume, Popper, et. al. and how humans and scientists reason towards as objective of an understanding of reality as possible, but at the end of it he'd still repeat the same line.

I don't mind people believing in things like ghosts or spirits, but holy f**k is it annoying when they try and rationalize it within the context of physics or philosophy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:19:28 am by Veritas »
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 08:54:38 am »
I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in demons. Everything people think of a ghosts is just demons having their fun.
hmm well.... wouldn't a ghost be pretty much a demon? or do you suggest demon as a creature?
Ghost implies a restless human spirit or soul. Demon is part of the 3rd banished from heaven.
@ii

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 09:35:46 am »
lol... so the toilet paper spinning out fast, and continuing even after being stopped, even ripping having the paper deattach from the roll thingy (they are slightly glued together)?

and no, the tumor example was that everyone could lie.. so practically everything could be a set up. there are tons of people reporting super natural things occurring. and he believe EVERYONE of them are lying.

I don't mind people believing in things like ghosts or spirits, but holy f**k is it annoying when they try and rationalize it within the context of physics or philosophy.
well... it's a way to prove it... if they can affect physical things then obviously there's something physical about it.

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 09:44:17 am »
soooo... Do you believe in ghosts/supernatrual things or not? if you don't... why don't you?

I do not because there is no solid evidence of it. Why believe in things without empirical proof?

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 10:10:19 am »
and no, the tumor example was that everyone could lie.. so practically everything could be a set up. there are tons of people reporting super natural things occurring. and he believe EVERYONE of them are lying.
The plural of anecdote is not data.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 10:42:12 am »
I don't doubt the possibilities because there is no valid explanation, but I can't be bothered to give a damn about something if it doesn't affect me in my daily life.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:51:58 am by STM1993 »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 01:15:28 pm »

I tried to watch it with some friends, but they kicked me out of the room for laughing all the time these stupid things happened. Never seen such a ridiculous movie before ;D

I share 4yo's opinion as well, and jrgp must be smoking the stuff BoneCrusher posted pictures of ;)

Offline killzonea59

• Soldier
  • nut up or shut up :D
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 01:19:18 pm »
I do believe!

It's freaking awesome!

No, no reason to believe in ghosts because of that movie, they say its real but its not, i looked up the official website for that movie, not ONE part of that video is true, its based off of "events" that happened to the producer and he decided to throw them all together in a movie.

Off topic: They're making a new Paranormal 2.

On the other hand, i believe in ghosts to a certain extent.
They're entertaining, makes chills run up your spine, and they're creepy.
To me, a ghost is just energy left over from someone.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 01:54:14 pm »

I tried to watch it with some friends, but they kicked me out of the room for laughing all the time these stupid things happened. Never seen such a ridiculous movie before ;D

I share 4yo's opinion as well, and jrgp must be smoking the stuff BoneCrusher posted pictures of ;)
Next time don't be such a dick or you won't have friends to watch a movie with.
@ii

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
So why do you believe in spirits, jrgp? What convinced you? Did you and your family actually see one clearly as he was juggling around the furniture, or did you just assume it was a spirit because something innocent occurred like a pen dropping from a table or a sock disappeared in the washing machine?

We've seen fady iterations of people who used to be alive. And not with the help of the bad shit BoneWhoever posted.
There are other worlds than these

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »
Next time pull up your cellphone and take a picture. You'll be famous if you can capture an actual ghost on camera.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 02:38:13 pm »
Next time pull up your cellphone and take a picture. You'll be famous if you can capture an actual ghost on camera.

They're not around long enough for that to work. And the people who do/can see ghosts are nonchalant about it and don't care about fame.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 02:47:53 pm »
And the people who do/can see ghosts are nonchalant about it and don't care about fame.

You mean those people who used to wear shirts with long sleeves and babble stupid things?

Those are not trustwhorthy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »
And the people who do/can see ghosts are nonchalant about it and don't care about fame.

You mean those people who used to wear shirts with long sleeves and babble stupid things?

Those are not trustwhorthy.

No... I don't.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 03:10:09 pm »
It's hard to discuss about something that's like ethics, no? :|

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 04:07:10 pm »
I had one once ^^. that my cousins girl friend took and just sent to my cousin.
for some reason some blur face 8ish year old boy in swim pants stood behind her (in her room)... sadly this was something like 6 years ago, so I don't have the pic left anymore.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »
(although I really wish gnomes were real; that'd be badass as f**k)

I could really use some shoe gnomes... :)

you're basically asking something like this "how do you know that cancer is a real sickness?" it could just be something the doctors make up to receive. donations.

That's an unfortunate example you chose: I experimented on cancer cells for two years, specifically the lung cancer line ChaGo K-1. These were harvested from a 45 year old man by experienced surgeons (or morticians) using aseptic techniques, so there's a very low probability that it's anything other than cancer. And considering the tens of thousands of physical cancer specimens, in vitro and in vivo throughout the world and the mountains of scientific evidence for their existence (just ask FLAB) and the effectiveness of treatments based on cancer research, all using proper peer-reviewed scientific methods, you would have to concede that it's nearly impossible that cancer is some figment of our collective imaginations.

Compare that to ghosts in which not a single reliable sample has been collected, there's no reliable way to detect them or to force them to appear, the fact that most anecdotal stories, if we can depend upon witnesses to tell the truth, can be explained by non-supernatural phenomena, and for which there is no functional theory explaining their existence.

This exact criteria fits all manner of supernatural phenomena based on anecdotal evidence, so if you insist that it's reason that drives you to believe in ghosts rather than emotional feelings, for example, then you should also believe in all other similar supernatural creatures and more. If you don't believe in those other things, it only indicates that you believe in ghosts for personal reasons regardless of a powerful lack of evidence.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"