Poll

Would a 'realistic'/adaptable weather

own
suck
not make a difference
Hey, i dont even render weather effects

Author Topic: "Realistic" weather adjustment...  (Read 4854 times)

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
"Realistic" weather adjustment...
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:18:51 pm »
Been playing Animal Crossing on and off on the DS and NGC and when i saw a snow-covered  ctf_b2b in the middle of the bloody summer i thought to myself: "Wouldn't soldat be great if by checking the winblowz time/date thing it could adjust its weather effects?" :-*. Ergo, snow when the date's between late november to late feb, some lighting effects for summer , falling leaves (?) or whatever for autumn and so on...
What do you think?  8) (I also thought of day/night variables but seeing it's an online game and timezones suck i wont bother with the details.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:25:15 pm by n2j3 »

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
Re: "Realistic" weather adjustment...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 04:13:48 pm »
Hey, not a bad idea. But our Aussie friends would have the exact opposite, since, it's winter weather there when it's summer here.
not around

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:25:58 pm »
I dont like the idea because maps are supposed to have the theme that the mapist created when s/he made the map.
If the weather was controlled by windows clock that will destroy the map's theme that the mapist spent so long to create.
So no.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:27:04 pm »
Even worse than our Australian friends, our Antarctica friends wouldn't be happy any time of the year. :(

I'm undecided. It has potential, I'm just not sure on weather* or not it's a good one.

* spelling pun.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:40:31 pm »
This idea is silly.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 07:26:01 pm »
Yeah its be to confusing and LAGFEST!

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 09:34:12 pm »
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Scrooge

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 03:59:39 am »
i was thinking of something similar to this but instead while making the map you can choose to have the map change weather after a set amount of time or the colours all change from grey to night etc....
R.I.P Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 05:29:54 am »
LAGFEST!
Righty-o

erm.. how would a client-side weather engine affect lag is beyond me... please explain

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 05:30:37 am »
Does he mean fps dropage?

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:56:37 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing dynamic weather conditions on a map, or even seasonal and time map variations of the same map, but having it align to every player is just impossible given the worldwide nature of Soldat. I'm all for more winter themed maps myself. :)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 05:58:53 am »
I actually liked the idea at first sight, but I don't think it's reliable in the long run. people will get tired of it very quick, I think, and It also leaves us with the issue of not everyone having the same weather all the time. Besides:
I dont like the idea because maps are supposed to have the theme that the mapist created when s/he made the map.
I agree 100%. In fact I think it's beautiful *whipes away a tear*
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 04:55:22 pm »
how bout instead of havin the weather/time keyed into the windows clock, we have set weather for each map.  Basically the idea would be randomly shifting weather, in a certain theme, and it would affect the game somewhat.  Like on Mr. Snowman, it would be snowing in several different levels.  First level would be just clear skies and snow on the ground, while second level would be light snow, and it would go all the way to like 5th level, an all out blizzard.  The different levels above 1 would also come with varying degrees of wind as well.  the wind would affect bullets by slowing them down slightly, forcing the players to change their tactics with their weaponry, and the heavier the snow is, it would affect the sight of the players.  of course, this is all just a basic idea.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 07:26:08 pm »
Meh, could be cool, but like most people say maps are made for just one theme. I think the best way to incorporate this is a 3rd party app that changes map textures + color + weather effects on maps automatically. It could even check the specific weather for your area :) with a talented programmer.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 07:28:11 pm by Pyroguy »

Offline Darth

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 03:23:07 pm »
I don't like your dynamic weather idea because (like other people said) it would vary in different places.
But I do like the idea of weather taking more part in maps (The mapper would decide the weather - or no weather), like what Kaine said!

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 04:05:43 pm »
Well, I think the best use would be something such as Ninja Gaiden 2's stage 2, where the wind driven snow would push to the left, calm for a bit, then push to the right. I think that would make for some interesting CTF play since the weather would largely dictate the action, whether the team should be using the wind boost to steal or defend against them.

Offline Rai-Dei

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 04:37:39 pm »
Well I don't mean it will lag others I just mean SLOW, so ya MASSIVE fps dropage! Or just for people with crap comps like me.

Offline Kaine

• Major
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 04:47:03 pm »
well, maybe there could be an option so u can vote to have the weather effects turned off, so the people with lesser PC's dont have to suffer.  This would be a completly optional thing.

Offline H31MU7

• Major
  • BOOM HEADSHOT!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 10:55:16 pm »
Hey, not a bad idea. But our Aussie friends would have the exact opposite, since, it's winter weather there when it's summer here.
That made me think, The weather of the server would be because of the actaul server location. etc night day, rain, clear get my point?
So if you joined an australian server it would be rainy, or maybe snowing and night or day depending of the time of where the server host is.
I like the idea, But it would effect the game speed, and for people with lower connection speeds maybe because of weather update buffering.

Offline sssssSquad Up

• Major(1)
  • Ol' Blue Eyes
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 11:52:56 pm »
If it was the weather of the server location maybe it wouldnt lag so much.
I still see it affecting game play too much tho.