Author Topic: CTF - Mission Improbable (& MI: Redux) Map(s)  (Read 7585 times)

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
Re: CTF - Mission Improbable
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 10:22:49 am »
This was like the map best update ever introduced to forums.soldat.pl.

Well, It's only my third-and-a-half map so far. Still learning here. Mapping's more than just pretty textures afterall and there' still some things I'm learning about this engine/Maps as I go. :>

I am in the midst of taking a small break from mapping though to work strictly on a scenery/Textures pack to put up on TMS later. People seem to like some of them so figured it might be fun to make a full pack of all the nesessary goodies for people. If it doesn't bloat the archive size I'll likely include PSDs of them too for anyone who'd like to make custom versions.

Woa, really nice udpate! Now there aren't useless routes, and almost everything is playing. Really good work!

Well, I noticed after playing a bit before bed again last night with my brothers the bots sometimes fly past the flag and have to do a whole round-robin of the bases to cap a flag, But admittably getting bots to fly/Jump high is not one of my fortes at present.. But thanks! XD

Nice looks/style, though lights are too flashy.

I prefer much smaller maps. But for big it's good, working layout, all we need is mega crowded server.

I unno, I have my bots I usually run with set with near-insane stats so for me anyways even 8 such bots running around there is usually enough to give me a bit of trouble. Beats running around solo with my brothers on the LAN tho..  ;D  But as Illuminatus mentioned earlier in this thread when Linkdead becomes a reality I might make maps like this for that game. The style I map in for here and elsewhere might fit better in that sorta gamestyle.   

As for the lights, Still trying to get a nice blend between flashy and functional. Light cones are actually one of the few things I've not learned to do quite right texturewise, So those are actually the cone_4 ones that come with SOLDAT, I just used the texture, Made a light fixture and made it all one piece as a separate scenery. Glad you like the map nontheless. If people want to change bits of my maps to suit their local differences in taste they're more than welcome to, Same goes for the sceneries in my map archive. :> Just drop my name if anyone asks where the textures arrived from. :}
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »
Time to b***h:

The big scenery in front of the player; I refuse to play a map with lots of big opaque scenery in front of the player. A lot of other Soldat players would jump ship for the same reason.

Another one: I know this map is a b***h to waypoint, but you made 120ish waypoints over the 500 limit. That’s a recipe for disaster, and a reason why some waypoints bug.

Enough b***hing.

I took the new version home and, other than finding things to complain about, I rewaypointed the whole map. You know how you had the bots fly up to the stat guns on the towers (a feature I like by the way) using like 30 wpts? I made the bots fly up there using ~12 waypoints from jumping, flying, to landing (I thank Keron for his instruction). If this map was smaller, you would have waypointed things fine; kudos for trying.

For studying waypoints, check out any of the default maps. Try to find the default maps wpted by Keron Cyst. Also, these two maps are fairly instructional:
ctf_Preyhunt
inf_Lawrence

About polybugs. With the map I'll send you, you'll see one good method for fixing polybugs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:43:16 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
The big scenery in front of the player; I refuse to play a map with lots of big opaque scenery in front of the player. A lot of other Soldat players would jump ship for the same reason.

For similar reasons I know a few who like being able to hide behind such things. Is why I let people make whatever revisions they want to the maps for their own servers.

I tried to keep the width of these to no wider or taller than a player when possible though. (Roughly 24/32 pixels) Again, Season to taste. X3

Another one: I know this map is a b***h to waypoint, but you made 120ish waypoints over the 500 limit. That’s a recipe for disaster, and a reason why some waypoints bug.

Yeah, A LOT of that was me trying to overcompensate for my inability to get the bots to 'fly' correctly. It drives me mad.

You know how you had the bots fly up to the stat guns on the towers (a feature I like by the way) using like 30 wpts? I made the bots fly up there using ~12 waypoints from jumping, flying, to landing (I thank Keron for his instruction). If this map was smaller, you would have waypointed things fine; kudos for trying.

Yup, Again my weak point of having trouble dealing with the bots when they need to leave the ground for more than a few seconds. XD Making them duck-roll-jet-roll over small gaps I got down pat tho. :}

For studying waypoints, check out any of the default maps. Try to find the default maps wpted by Keron Cyst. Also, these two maps are fairly instructional:
ctf_Preyhunt
inf_Lawrence

About polybugs. With the map I'll send you, you'll see one good method for fixing polybugs.

I'll poke through TMS later and see if I can't find anything interesting about these maps for study. Thanks for taking the time out to look over my work and help me out with this stuff. :}
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 11:22:48 am »
Once again, any maps waypointed by Keron Cyst are worth looking at. I'd be wary of anyone else's waypoints (with some exceptions being Wraithlike, grand_diablo, Demonic, Eagle_Arrows and probably Suowarrior)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:24:26 am by Blacksheepboy »