Author Topic: Looking for PHP Developer(s)  (Read 2496 times)

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
Looking for PHP Developer(s)
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:10:24 am »
Linfo - The PHP Server Health Application

jrgp and I are looking for a small force of dedicated programmers. We're building a lightweight alternative to a popular application named phpSysInfo. There are a few of us who believe phpSysInfo has gotten too bloated and complex for it's own good. Thanks to jrgp, we have a really good start to creating a smaller, faster application.

See Linfo in Action

Applicant Criteria

We request that dedicated developer applicants have experience in the following areas:

• Programming PHP
  • Regular Expressions
  • Use of Linux and/or BSD
  • Subversion

Don't meet the requirements? Still want to apply? Read!

This is an enormous project. There is a lot of testing involved. You don't necessarily need to meet all the criteria to apply. We ask that, if you don't, that you supply an example patch to us. Prove you're up to the challenge! The entire source is available from the sourceforce project page. Hell, even if you're not applying to be a dedicated developer, we'd love any help we can get :)

Post in this thread or contact jrgp/myself via PM to apply.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 02:59:10 am by ElephantHunter »
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
Re: Looking for PHP Developer(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:53:57 am »
looks and works great. just add some speccy-like pixelart icons for the main table headers/sections and you're good to go. (btw, i couldn't make sensors or hddtemp appear successfully - edited relevant config.php sections etc). Not sure I should have posted this here as I'm no php dev etc. Remove if it's too off-topic.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:16:59 am »
php
I found the problem

Hope that helps
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:37:14 am »
EH/jrgp, what's your roadmap for Linfo/why are you seeking out additional developers?  What would you like to see done to/with Linfo?

php
I found the problem

Hope that helps
oh haha let's jump on the "bash PHP" bandwagon without saying anything as to why!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:02:18 am »
php
I found the problem

Hope that helps

:P

PHP is only bad when you have: 1) A lousy coder; 2) A lousy host; or 3) both; none of them are the case here.

EH/jrgp, what's your roadmap for Linfo/why are you seeking out additional developers?  What would you like to see done to/with Linfo?

Make Linfo have more features, be prettier, support more operating systems, be faster (if such a thing is possible, heh), more efficient, become more well known and mature enough to get into mainstream ubuntu/debian repositories (I've just started creating usable .deb's), and become a respected open source project that looks good on all of our resumes. :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:04:41 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:35:53 pm »
Looks like we've got Mr` on board for the Windows port.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 06:14:41 pm »
php
I found the problem

Hope that helps
oh haha let's jump on the "bash PHP" bandwagon without saying anything as to why!
there's no real need to rehash that argument
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »
php
I found the problem

Hope that helps
there's no real need to rehash that argument

You brought it up, that was my point. 

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:08:10 am »
Okay, so Mr is doing a kickass job on the windows support so far. (check svn to see his current progress)

Does anyone who meets the requirements mentioned have access to Unixes that don't run on usual hardware, like IBM AIX and HP UX?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:11:14 am by jrgp »

Offline Thomas

• Major
    • mnus.de
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:57 am »
Hey,

this sounds interesting, but what's bloated about phpSysinfo? I like it quite good although i didn't look at the sourcecode.
Do you (intend to) have plugins/support e.g. for a processlist or monitoring applications like webservers?

Anyway, I'm in on this good piece of software if you want me. I do PHP (Python, C++ on a beginnerlevel too) and its regular expressions (PCRE mostly, POSIX shouldn't be a problem though). I use Linux (Ubuntu on my Desktop (might switch to Arch), Ubuntu and Debian on servers) and am familiar with VCSes like SVN.

For those who didn't know: it's m!nus here :D

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »
Phpsysinfo takes really long to generate due to how it is written, tries to compensate for this by using ajax, has several required php extensions, and with its optional process list, shows programs along with the arguments they were started with, which is a huge security risk.

Linfo aims to be fast (and currently does, even under old hardware, generate in under a second), not require many extensions (currently just needs pcre), not be image heavy and fully work with text only browsers, not expose confidential info like a full list of running processes (although it does currently tell how many processes their are and their states.  Having it monitor specific processes and servers is an interesting idea. Linfo makes *everything* optional and easy to change/extend and new experimental plugin support makes this interesting. I love the idea of having lots of small features available but disabled by default, like right now linfo can provide battery status and list of soundcards.

If you want more info, please see the readme currently in svn. 

If you agree with these goals, you can join us.

Update: minus is now on the team! This makes it so far: myself, ElephantHunter, Mr`, and M!nus. If anyone else is interested, say so.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:52:53 pm by jrgp »

Offline Atticus

• Major
  • Always outnumbered, but never outgunned.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »
If you need help with logo design, graphic design, or web design I should be able to help. I'm not sure if this would be applicable at all in this project though. Just throwing it out there.
.phx .bot+ {B}{H} NS - nv` .dfa s/0][ /HS/- </ sk:// `SL - c'n's R7. |LP| Slams&Jams-

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 02:35:02 pm »
If you need help with logo design, graphic design, or web design I should be able to help. I'm not sure if this would be applicable at all in this project though. Just throwing it out there.

Feel free to look at what we're doing and post in this thread with suggestions, although with ElephantHunter being on the team we're pretty much covered for the front end part.

Update: iDante has joined the team!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:42:16 pm by jrgp »

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »
could i do a sing and a dance to be included as a video file at the top of the page

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:21 pm »
Yes.