Author Topic: DM_BlackCity  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
DM_BlackCity
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:16:29 am »
DM_BlackCity
By Monster

Redux to Circle. Better looks, I think, worser waypoints, but they still work. You can't still know, is the bridge walkable, but with trying you figure it out. :) You can find out more from the picture. Textures changed overall.

(^Click To Enlarge^)

Screenshots:

Download / Rate on TMS

See more maps by Monster

Hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase.

Please say what do you like my changes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:57:48 am by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

DarkCrusade

Re: DM_BlackCity
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:27:29 pm »
Looks don't equal playability. This map has unnecessary and really unsafe places that players will just avoid so you can remove them or do something else with them (speaking of the islands in the middle). Also, I still have problems to guess what's walkable and what's not. That's caused by this huge overload of scenery. Again, looks don't equal playability. Find a compromise between looks and gameplay.

Also, why did you create a new topic for the same map?

Offline steppenwo1f

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:55:17 pm »
(...) Also, I still have problems to guess what's walkable and what's not. (...)
consider some differentiation foreground and background. For example: foreground, walkable things make lighter, background, unwalkable - darker, less different from big back sceneries.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:03:21 am »
has unnecessary and really unsafe places that players will just avoid
I don't think those eyeislands are just rubbish, I played this with some my friends, and they saved their lifes many times. And I placed inside them medikits, so it brings taste of choise. Do I go inside that huggle-bubble to get some heal, and risk my life, or do I not go, and risk my life a bit more? For me they are not unnescesarry.

Also, I still have problems to guess what's walkable
I don't realize what's so hard in that. Walkable things are made by polygons, but the bridge above. Noone of my friends had problems in that. I don't think you have even played the map, because you are speaking like that. 
Also, why did you create a new topic for the same map?
In that you're maybe right. I'm not explaining that no more. What's done, is done.

unwalkable - darker, less different from big back sceneries.
Maybe you're right, (You are right) but I wanted this map to feel dark. I realized that it was going to be too dark already, and I fixed it but of course you don't know anything of these artist's agony.. :)

Aanyway, thanks for your critique. Good or Bad, I always take it. But I'm not sure do I anymore return to this map.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:23 am »
Assuming someone did neither download nor play your map is the worst thing you can do next to not being able to take critique.

These "huggle-bubbles" are unsafe as you are trapped inside. There is only once exit while you can be shot from two sides. If I saw you going inside, I'd just quickly throw a nade to your feet and that'd have been it. You cannot even dodge M79 shells. Any camper on the bridge takes you down. That's why I said it's unsafe. If you had no problems with your friends, that's fine, but you cannot say by any means that it's safe.

It's funny how you disagree with me and agree to steppenwo1f on the same point. You either missed something I said or ignored it due to your assumption.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:25:57 pm »
Ahem, I agreed with steppenwo1f just with that quote. I didn't  mean that they are safety, but if the situation on the battlefield is calmed down a bit, you have time well to catch one healbag and get out of there.
Assuming someone did neither download nor play your map is the worst thing you can do next to not being able to take critique.
You just said that you have to guess what's walkable, and then I thought that you haven't played it, because, as I said, in game none of my friends had problems with background and foreground.

But if we return to this:
Any camper on the bridge takes you down
If you're not on 1v1 that camper is dead very soon :) I always take critiques, no matter which like they are. And it's polite that you try to find at least something positive. Now I missed my point, so I'm stopping.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:27:47 pm by Monsteri »
Sorry if I'm insolent.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
If you want a cookie before we get to talk about what's bad, fine. I think the cause of this discussion is the little impreciseness when I said I needed to guess where I was walking. What I meant was that the background and the foreground are one and thus made playing the map harder, what steppenwo1f said clearlier.

Oh, and there was a hidden cookie at the beginning of my first post ;)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:14:38 am »
Mmm..Cookie!
Again, looks don't equal playability
Lol, was it that? Well, maybe i need to make polygons brighter, even it BOOMS away dark feel of the map.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »
 BTW When I use the word 'REDUX' it means, As I use it, A reduction. (IE: Improbable vs Improbable REDUX) it doesn't mean 'Remake' so unless this map is shrunk from the other, It's not a redux. It also doesn't have the same name as Circle, So how can Dark be a REDUX of Circle either way..?

That just bugged me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:32:18 pm by Dr.DR4IG »
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 05:49:38 am »
Well I'm not national english speaker, so forgive me if you find somewhere bugs in my speeches.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 07:27:17 pm »
Well I'm not national english speaker, so forgive me if you find somewhere bugs in my speeches.

Basically if someone uses a new word you're unfamiliar with, Don't use it unless you know what it means.
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -