Author Topic: [Idea] King of the hill  (Read 1489 times)

Offline RunMan

• Major(1)
[Idea] King of the hill
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »
Hello!

I've came up with idea for new mod - I've called it after one of THPS3 multiplayer mode, which gave me inspiration. Small deathmatch map, one flag and couple of guys with saws. Aim: Make your timer go down to 0. How? By holding the flag. Once you get the flag you lose your saw and make other players chase you furiously. After your timer reaches 0 you win the round, and the next map is being loaded.

I've already started coding. What do you think? :)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Re: [Idea] King of the hill
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »
There is mode called Pointmatch. Just limit weapons to saws only and make flagger loose the saw.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:39:32 pm »
yeah that's not KoTH at all. the flag would be to same outlined area of the map. other wise it's just 'kill to f***er with the flag! he doesn't have a gun!!'

EDIT: Anyway please, for the love of Soldat don't post half thought out ideas. Come up with some more details, THEN post.

Anyanyway I see this working and being really fun. If you use a little infiltration, and point match this would work. The way I see is: like RunMan said there is only chainsaw (I'd add knife) if you drop your saw it immediately disappears and you get a new one in your hands. If you get the Flag you have no weapon. If you hold the flag for [5] secs you get [5] points (kind of like inf) but these points are kills first to [60] points/kills (hold flag for 60 seconds) wins! Kills don't get you points, only if you kill the flager, you get [1] point/kill.

f12 and a hell yeah! Good idea RunMan!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:00:22 pm by vehicledestroyer »
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:24:30 pm »
Anyway, you're missing the point of King of the hill. I remember server in 1.3.1 where there was script like that. You had to take particular place on the map and kill others while being there. Any frags made beside that place didn't count.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:15:41 pm »
Call it tag to avoid confusion.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:21:11 am »
Call it tag to avoid confusion.
yeah this is pretty much inversed tag... This would be way more hectic though :/ Several guys chasing one poor dude would be madness
Also, i think i did made some actual koth script for BlaH something like two years ago. Gotta try to find it

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:12:25 pm »
KOTH is more like holding a "hill" by a player/team and not letting enemies get it isn't it?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 02:27:47 pm »
As to the definition of KOTH, I think this one is quite nice:"King of the Hill is a popular game mode where the players have to stay in a designated area of a map to gain points. This mode is becoming increasingly popular in shooters." (www.giantbomb.com)

As to what you suggest, that sounds like an entirely new gamemode that is not even near the original KOTH. I'm not the idiot to repeat everything others already pointed out, just keep this thread up-to-date and please put in some more details.

Are you even an experienced programmer and familiar with Soldat's scriptcore?

Offline RunMan

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »
Thanks for all of your responds :) Well, probably calling it KoTH were too confusing and led to misunderstanding.

More details:

For obvious reasons, gametype has to be Pointmatch (it could be CTF or any other gametype with two flags, but it would need custom maps then (one of the flags somewhere outside reachable area)). Players w/o flag can only hurt the flagger. Flagger can't hurt anyone (he loses saw when he gets flag, also he can't pick up any weapons from the ground when he has flag). When nobody has the flag saw does not hurt anyone (maybe turning damage on while flag is free would be better idea?). When anyone has the flag there's DrawText showing who has the flag, any how much time left he has to 0 (like: RunMan 1:31). When no one has flag there's DrawText: Get the flag! After someone gets to 0 he wins the round and the next map begins. Every player has his own color of timer text, which lets other players to recognize who is the flagger much more easier.

I don't think there is anything more to add. It's very simple script.

DarkCrusade: I used to be better scripter, as I haven't coded anything for a while, but I am pretty sure I can script that.

Several guys chasing one poor dude would be madness

And that's kind of madness which I've been missing for some time. Maybe I am wrong, but I think it will be so dynamic, that you can't get bored quickly. Also being immortal while you don't have flag will let players to do lots of epic actions, like throwing flag right before getting sawed and then catch it.

Scripting is done. There are still some things to add, but it's fully playable right now. I will release it in a few days probably.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:32:01 am by RunMan »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:33:09 am »
Nice to hear! I'll definetly check it out and give you feedback ;)