Author Topic: Forums + soldat.pl + lobby were down?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Forums + soldat.pl + lobby were down?
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:16:36 pm »
Whole server crashed? DDoS atack?
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Forums + soldat.pl + lobby were down?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:35:01 pm »
Whole server crashed? DDoS atack?

Kinda.  No.

The server has had two instances of an odd problem in the past month where the vmware server runs off into the weeds and another custom tool running on it starts acting weird.  Within 20 minutes the machine is grinding to a halt.

That's not what happened today.  today all of apache's processes were in the Z state and most or all other services on the machine weren't responding (fortunately ssh was fine).  The load average on the machine was 10+ even though it wasn't really doing anything.

I'm not sure what was going on, couldn't find any way to recover from it (unlike the first problem), so I rebooted it hoping it'd clear up these issues.  The machine hasn't been rebooted since it was moved to the new datacenter 6-8 months ago.  Hopefully booting into a new kernel will help things, we'll see.

If problems like this keep happening I'll probably look at upgrading the server from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 (easy enough to do)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:40:34 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:23 pm »
Thanks for quick answer. :)
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:06:30 pm »