Poll

Is your eye vision okay?

No, but I have glasses.
No, I don't have glasses either.
It's perfect. I don't need glasses.

Author Topic: Eye vision  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Guile

• Major(1)
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.
Eye vision
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »
My eye vision has been quite crap for couple of years but now I really started thinking of this problem seriously because I need to health certificate for drivers' license.

2 years ago when I first got my health certificate I barely passed it. But now, when 2 years has passed I don't know what's going to happen. I'm pretty sure my eye vision has gotten worse.

I do not have glasses and I don't want one either because they don't match with my style and I think they are uncomfortable.

I just want to know how many of you wear glasses...

Be damned the day when I got my first computer, thanks to this piece of addictive invention people lose their vision.

Do you have any suggestions how to make your vision better without purchasing glasses/lens?

I've heard that eating carrots will help but I've never actually tried it. I've also heard that brown eyes are weaker, therefore people will brown eyes have higher probability to lose their perfect vision.

"They say death takes you to a better place" - Felipe Coronel

DarkCrusade

Re: Eye vision
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »
I was wearing glasses until I was 13, my vision got better over time. I think it'll change again, but I'm happy without anything right now:)

You can forget about the last part, it's just not true.

You gotta get contact lenses if you really don't wanna wear glasses, there is no way around it.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:36:29 pm »
Eating carrots doesn't help your vision, it's a myth. Carrots are good for eye adjustment to the dark. when you're 40, your myopia will pretty much be remedied by presbyopia, you can get your drivers licence then.

If you have hyperopia, you are fucked without corrective surgery or contacts/glasses.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 05:47:39 pm »
I hardly think your computer is to blame for your lack of vision. Unless you jammed it in your eyes.
I can only speak for myself, but I've had no problems with eye strain ever since I changed from CRT to LCD monitors 7 years ago.
Looking down from ethereal skies

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »
I hardly think your computer is to blame for your lack of vision. Unless you jammed it in your eyes.

Sitting in front of your PC in the dark for hours and hours weakens your eyes over time. It's no myth, really.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »
I wear contact lenses when I'm out with real people (at work, for example) or when I'm doing anything that makes me sweat (judo, biking, whatever).  If I'm just lounging around the house or going out to the store, I'll wear glasses.

Generally speaking, weekdays = contacts; weekends = glasses.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 05:56:13 pm »
Started wearing glasses in 7th grade. My dad then convinced me to try contacts right before 9th grade and I've just used them since. I hate wearing glasses now.
There are other worlds than these

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:55 pm »
I wear contact lenses when I'm out with real people (at work, for example) or when I'm doing anything that makes me sweat (judo, biking, whatever).  If I'm just lounging around the house or going out to the store, I'll wear glasses.

Generally speaking, weekdays = contacts; weekends = glasses.

I would love to see you wear glasses, I think it makes you look sophisticated.

I have no idea why, it's just something that popped into my head.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »
Just for you, ds dude.

If I look...moist, it's because I just got back from judo practice.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:03:25 pm »
Holy crap I was right. This is awesome.

Thank you! :D
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:36:37 am »
Lol you look like jesus.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Guile

• Major(1)
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 05:04:37 pm »
Thanks for moving away from the topic so smoothly.

Anyway... I think I'm going to take a break from computers. Now it's only 1 hour of computing per day.

"They say death takes you to a better place" - Felipe Coronel

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:15 am »
Thanks for moving away from the topic so smoothly.

I'm kind of a big deal, apparently.

Anyway... I think I'm going to take a break from computers. Now it's only 1 hour of computing per day.

You're lucky to have that option.  I'm paid to be in front of a computer for 8 hours each day, and then there's whatever personal stuff I want to do on my home computer afterward.  It wouldn't surprise me if I was in front of a computer for 10 or 11 hours each day.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:48:55 am by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:52 am »
I have no glasses MUHAHAHAHA
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:21 am »

Sitting in front of your PC in the dark for hours and hours weakens your eyes over time. It's no myth, really.

Got any scientific research to back that up? I found alot of people that had ben using computers every day for ages and still have perfect vision.
And I found that gaming can actually improve eyesight.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10206764-235.html

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 10:53:25 am »
Well, staring at a monitor decrease muscle strength in the eyes from lack of need to refocus. If you really want to improve your eye vision this way (note, the article talks about the ability to differenciate different shades of gray and contrast sensitivity, not about visual acuity) you'd have to take breaks like every 30 minutes. Additionaly, many researches are "sponsored" by the industry and I wouldn't trust it without reading it. I tried accessing the research, but I'd have to pay for reading it what really makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:55:08 am by DarkCrusade »

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 01:27:30 pm »
I wear contact lenses when I'm out with real people (at work, for example)

I'm kinda curious what you do if you're out with people who aren't real?
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:12 pm »
I wear contact lenses when I'm out with real people (at work, for example)

I'm kinda curious what you do if you're out with people who aren't real?

I wear glasses. ;)
Gamer_2k4

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 02:03:30 pm »
I got perfect eye vision and i'm a hardcore gamer since I was 3(except the last 3 months duh).
I check my eye vision every 1-2 months just because I want to showoff...
Anyway since I know myself I was a hardcore gamer sitting in front of the screen for almost 24/7 Sega, Sony playstation, PC & xbox.. I've done them all!
I always sit in front of CRT monitors because I like them and LCD makes me feel uncomfortable...
Now I got 2 CRT monitors and i'm happy with it...
Does this makes me a weirdo?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:08:14 pm by pavliko »
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »
Well, staring at a monitor decrease muscle strength in the eyes from lack of need to refocus. If you really want to improve your eye vision this way (note, the article talks about the ability to differenciate different shades of gray and contrast sensitivity, not about visual acuity) you'd have to take breaks like every 30 minutes. Additionaly, many researches are "sponsored" by the industry and I wouldn't trust it without reading it. I tried accessing the research, but I'd have to pay for reading it what really makes me wonder.

It's more than shades of grey I do believe. http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2764
And this research doesn't come from one place. Colleges and universities have conducted this kind of research, all with the same result apparently.

I do believe genetics is to blame if your eyesight suddenly gets bad. In my family on my mothers side, everyone has good eyesight. Even my grandparents do not have a great need for glasses. Only when reading books and the like.

My uncle has been working with computers for about 15 years, where he spent 8-10 hours a day staring at monitors. He has still perfect vision.
My dad on the other hand needs glasses. He needed them from very early on, and he never spent much time on a PC or watching TV.

Now I dont know how old Guile is, but I say there is absolutely no chance that a PC monitor is to blame for his eyesight at his age.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:34:38 pm by Psycho »