Author Topic: know/not  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: know/not
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:02 am »
^ Well, you still chose happiness over all in the end. I think you may have chose blissfully ignorant if you could have had faith in God without fear.

I think the question isn't about ignorance vs knowledge, but rather questioning the cost of your happiness.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 03:05:35 am »
Attempting to convert people through threats is the wrong way to do it.  The ideal Christian will lead a virtuous life because he feels it is the best thing he can do, not because he feels pressured into it.  Or, to bring the afterlife into it, that person will be motivated, not by a fear of hell, but by a desire for heaven.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:11:19 am by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 03:36:31 am »
Attempting to convert people through threats is the wrong way to do it.  The ideal Christian will lead a virtuous life because he feels it is the best thing he can do, not because he feels pressured into it.  Or, to bring the afterlife into it, that person will be motivated, not by a fear of hell, but by a desire for heaven.

Don't forget those who were forced to be Christian by extremely religious parents who grow up to hate it because of that.

The best you can really do is try not to force your religion on your kids. If they reject it by age 13 or so, stop trying.
There are other worlds than these

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 08:57:34 am »
i dont think happiness has anything to do with knowledge. in other words you have an equal chance of being just as happy on either end of the scale

youre begging the question if youre not talking about the extremes of either having infinite knowledge or the infinite ignorance

either way its likely they are practically the same thing

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:09 am »
I always try to find the right answers for the right questions, I'm self motivated in those regards, but sometimes I prefer leaving things at what it is.
b&

Offline Farah

• Major
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »
always sadly aware. leaving islam and realising that allah wasn't going to give me 72 virgins has fucked me up in so many ways but i see so much more because of it. happiness is just a construct we try to attain so much that it becomes our primary goal, whereas i see it as a simple by-product of reality. whether i'm happy or not is immaterial, that shit comes and goes.

the happiness from ignorance is no different to the happiness of a drunk
<EnEsCe> you challenge me I will make your Soldat life a living hell.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »
i dont think happiness has anything to do with knowledge. in other words you have an equal chance of being just as happy on either end of the scale

youre begging the question if youre not talking about the extremes of either having infinite knowledge or the infinite ignorance

You're invalidating the question if you restrict it to those extremes, because it limits it to "Is it better to be a sad God or a happy rock?"  What you're saying is "It's just as likely for God to be happy as it is for a rock to be happy."  Your post was meaningless, because really, the only application of a question like echo_trail's is in our lives as they are (with a bit of necessary theorizing thrown in).
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 04:53:39 pm »
the happiness from ignorance is no different to the happiness of a drunk

Except that ignorance does not require you to consume more alcohol to maintain such a feeling.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 01:47:53 pm »
So articulate and pervasive. Everyone must agree and understand your point of view now.

He's a smart guy.