Author Topic: know/not  (Read 3480 times)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
know/not
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »
Quick question, guys. Is it better to be blissfully ignorant or sadly aware, in terms of extremes?

Let's say you found out one day that something essential in your life was a lie. It would shake the very foundation if everything you believe in. Would you rather you hadn't found out?
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: know/not
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:11:59 pm »
Blissfully ignorant.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:00 pm »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking also, but the the 'half a life' theory came up in my mind, and I'm worried I'd be able to see through.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »
I'd rather know than not know. If it's terrible enough to the point of making suicide appealing, so be it.
There are other worlds than these

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:31 pm »
Sadly aware.  "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free."
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:44:11 pm »
But what is the point of having knowledge if you'll never be happy with it?
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:39 pm »
Whats the point of reality if you ignore it and substitute your own?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:07:15 am »
Sadly aware.  "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free."

Odd to hear that from a religious person...
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline vehicledestroyer

• Soldier
  • I'm a Soldat freelancer, and I'm Looking for work.
    • Crash Commando Kings
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:56 am »
"I would rather know. Then I would kill everyone involved... Either way, if I did know I would just be playing CoD. This way I get to play real life CoD and have a blast!!!"
- Damon B. The the wisest kid that ever lived.

... ... I'll post my real opinion later.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:17:55 am by vehicledestroyer »
I am a Soldat freelancer. I'm looking for projects and I have some of my own. I'm ready when you are...
My Projects:
Soldat weapon Factory 1.1
A community appeal
GTA II Mod

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 01:54:31 am »

Could you elaborate, please? I want to say something, but I don't want to sound all defensive by attacking something you didn't mean.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:57:02 am »

Could you elaborate, please? I want to say something, but I don't want to sound all defensive by attacking something you didn't mean.

He's hinting that religious people are hopelessly enslaved by false beliefs.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:44 am »
I don't think reality is the best thing to have faith in. I'm just attacking your reasoning.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:25:57 am »
reality is a strange and complex delusion that is generated from the lack of alcohol abundance

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:29 am »

I would argue that's an opinion thing.

I don't think reality is the best thing to have faith in. I'm just attacking your reasoning.

If what we're talking about is LITERALLY reality, then there's no better thing to have faith in.  After all, "Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be" (Wikipedia).  What should we have faith in if not absolute truth?
Gamer_2k4

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:17 am »

I would argue that's an opinion thing.

Well, definitely. The only sensible and civilized way of discussing religion is to assume it's 100% subjective.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 05:42:27 pm »
Panzer always knows how to say it best.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »
Sadly aware. Objective truth will eventually inform you that the world is a prison in which a "heaven on earth" is impossible.

You're in my reality now.

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »
i would like to now and then i would be pissed of and i would walk around my town for 5 hours
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:44 pm »
Sadly aware. Objective truth will eventually inform you that the world is a prison in which a "heaven on earth" is impossible.

You're in my reality now.

So articulate and pervasive. Everyone must agree and understand your point of view now.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 12:01:47 am »
Quick question, guys. Is it better to be blissfully ignorant or sadly aware, in terms of extremes?

Let's say you found out one day that something essential in your life was a lie. It would shake the very foundation if everything you believe in. Would you rather you hadn't found out?

I would rather find out than be blissfully ignorant since I don't think you can be blissfully ignorant. To live a lie knowing that it is a lie would be a great injustice to yourself. I used to be Christian and believed all the spoonfed bullshit of the catholic school I went to. I realised later in life that it's just a story and the bible is simply meant as a way to scare people into submitting to power.

The good thing was that I had always questioned it. I questioned why I should live my life according to rules that some being whome I've never heard from or seen that supposedly created me. If such a being existed and an afterlife was real, was I born into submission to this higher being for the rest of eternity without a choice? Accept and go to heaven but be his bitch. Deny and go to hell and be tortured ... for eternity.

The sad thing was in the last years when I knew that it wasn't real, I was still scared. I wanted to believe in the lie. I wanted to believe in an afterlife. I was scared of having sex before marriage and all that bullshit. I was scared of doing bad in my life.

Now, I am happier than ever. I live the lifestyle I want. Enjoy women. I actually feel truly free. I no longer have this feeling of some god constantly judging me and what I'm doing every single minute.

Plus, like I've said many times before... If you need to be scared or threatened to be good, are you really a good person? If you're good for the sake of just being a good guy, then it doesn't matter if sky-daddy exists or not, you're being a good guy and don't need instructions.

So there you go. If you chose ignorance, then you also ignore yourself and what you truly need or want. You've thrown your instincts out the window and become a fool.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet