Author Topic: Bind keys to Esc menu  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Mitak

• Camper
Bind keys to Esc menu
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:55:13 am »

So when you press Esc, you can select options without using the mouse :o

Esc - 3 - Mitak - useless ideas (votekick)
Esc - 4 - 2 (change to bravo team)

Additionally, bind the arrow keys to left and right for ultimate laziness (switch to next/previous player/map)

How sick is that? 8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:06:00 am by Mitak »

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
Re: Bind keys to Esc menu
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:08 am »
What? and make the esc menu like the radio command menu?..
I mean, it is the ultimate lazy man's idea, and for that, I like it... but worth the developers time? No.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:04:46 am »
this should have been included a long time ago without the necessity of starting a thread about it.

Offline SyavX

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:49 pm »
I'd rather see keyboard shortcuts for the secondary weapons in the next version.
smth like:
2 - MP5
Alt+2 - Knife

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:01:00 pm »
I'd rather see keyboard shortcuts for the secondary weapons in the next version.
smth like:
2 - MP5
Alt+2 - Knife

And I don't see any point in this...what the fuck do you need this for? You can carry only 2 weapons, ffs.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »
he didn't mean that there will be two mp5, he meaned that if you press 2, it chooses mp5.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:27:42 pm »
smth like:
2 - MP5
Alt+2 - Knife

And I don't see any point in this...what the f**k do you need this for? You can carry only 2 weapons, ffs.
I believe the point of this is to allow players to choose secondaries with a keyboard. And I support that idea, but instead of Alt key something else has to be used, since Alt+1/2/3/4 is already reserved for taunts (Ctrl+1/2/3/4 maybe?)

As for Esc menu - I don't think theres a point in making EVERY option selectable with keyboard.

~ Vote menus - lets say you pressed 2 or 3, but then you'd still have to use the mouse to choose what you want to vote (assuming one day we'll finally see dropdown menus used for vote selection). And right now you're better off just typing votes as commands. It'd be even faster than via menu anyway.
~ "Exit to menu" shouldn't have a shortcut because it could be pressed accidentally.
~ As for "change team"... that might be the only place in the menu where I'd love to have keyboard shortcuts, but then it would look odd if that was the only menu with shortcuts.

Plus, I can already see how it can be abused - right before getting killed someone would press something like Esc+4+5 to switch to spectators without actually dying, and then respawning back at base with full health. Not that it would be of much advantage, but would still be a fun toy for trolls.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:04:54 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:00:57 pm »
... And it would have to drag along an auto-kick for teamswitch abuse... which would drag another chain of useless coding and...
Yeah, assuming the bias that the community's made up of retards and trolls, we better leave it as it is...

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »
I also hate when theres a weapon menu opened andIi use a taunt it automatically selects a weapon basing on number ive pressed(1-9)

Im chill like that

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:14:41 am »
"vote map" and "vote kick" should also show some kind of an adequate list. It feels like the current functionality is what was used back when soldat had two maps and one player.
Thanks for letting me use this topic.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:35:07 am »
It would be more convenient to have a dropdown list of available maps and votekickable players.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:06:09 pm »
now imagine 1000+ maps in a list :D use /votemap mapname although /votekick reason id would be great

Im chill like that

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:24 pm »
now imagine 1000+ maps in a list :D use /votemap mapname although /votekick reason id would be great

Rather "/votekick <ID/Name> <Reason>". Through scripting it's possible to start a votekick against someone as far as I remember. CLICK!

"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 04:08:03 pm »
I also hate when theres a weapon menu opened andIi use a taunt it automatically selects a weapon basing on number ive pressed(1-9)
Thanks for the tip!
This also works on team choose menu ;)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 04:11:47 pm »
sure np looking forward to see it fixed(same with other suggestions of mines and others)(the good ones)

Im chill like that

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:09 am »
I've also noticed that at the start of each round, when you select a weapon with the keyboard, it just highlights your choice, but you have to click with the mouse to confirm. That makes the soldat bash a friendly soldier, because the freakin' spawnpoints are too compacted and many players spawn in the same place.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 02:56:26 pm »
I've also noticed that at the start of each round, when you select a weapon with the keyboard, it just highlights your choice, but you have to click with the mouse to confirm. That makes the soldat bash a friendly soldier, because the freakin' spawnpoints are too compacted and many players spawn in the same place.
I've never noticed that one before Mitak...?
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.